Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2002, 01:20 AM

Default to digi or not to digi? that is the question

I am finally getting rid of this thing I have..it's called a "cassette porta studio", and I am entering the world of DAW!
I have narrowed my choices down to the 001 or cubase sx.
I would like to know what is it about the 001 that makes people buy it. I know pro tools is one reason and the focusrite pre's are another but when compared to cubase sx, the 001 seems like a waste. It seems to be a sound card that only works on a select few pc's, doesn't support 96k audio, 3rd party support is a joke compared to cubase, and it only runs on win 98.
This does not seem like cutting edge here.
Not to mention the fact it is limited to "just" 24 tracks. (I have 4 right now, I guess I'd settle for 24). Even the focusrites have competition with new products like the omni studio from midi man.
The cubase forums are mostly tips and tricks type postings where as here there are a lot of complaints and hardware issue posts.
I just see no value in the digi and in fact even wonder how this company can stay in business.
Although my mind is pretty well made up, I just wanted some thoughts on this subject in case there was something I overlooked in my reasearch.
In all fairness, the 001 was the greatest thing since sliced bread.........2 years ago. Maybe this company does not want the fine line between the mix/hd systems and the 001 to blur as technology advances.
My father once told me that the world is always in motion, and that to keep up you have to move forward, because even standing still means you are falling backwards.
He even said to me "son, your a good man...from the toes down"
Old 06-05-2002, 02:38 AM

Default Re: to digi or not to digi? that is the question

Digi 001 = $800

That includes hardware with 18 simultaneous I/O, including 2 mic pres and 1 MIDI I/O and Pro Tools LE software that are guaranteed to work together (on supported host systems).

Cubase SX = $579

That includes software only. You're on your own for a sound card.

If cost is a consideration, where are you going to find a soundcard with comparable I/O for $220?

Oh yeah... It's Pro Tools. I've never had someone ask me if I had Cubase. Lots of people ask me if I have Pro Tools.

If you like Cubase SX better then get it. If you don't need compatibility with other Pro Tools studios then get Cubase. Get the best tools you can afford for the way that you work. That's all the help I can offer.

By the way, the next PTLE update is due out any day now and will support Windows XP.

Oh, and the mic pres in the Digi 001 are not Focusrite.

Good luck. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 06-06-2002, 12:38 AM

If the mic pre's are not focusrite then what are they? One less reason to get the 001 I guess. Midi man makes soundcards that are better than the 001's (96k). In's and out's are not a concern, I only need one input at a time. I plan to do all my dsp within the daw. If I need more juice, I can always add a UAD card - something you cant do with the 001.
Dont get me wrong it is a great system compared to yesterdays standard. As for the win xp support, it should have been out already, period. There is no excuse for that.

I was thinking of going with the cubase sx, focusrite channel strip and a midiman card.

So I guess the advantage for the 001 would be multiple in's and out's.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:52 AM

bean438:

I hear you. I'm really impressed by the fact that you've investigated/researched your future purchase. Too many people jump in head first and complain later.
The only thing I would ask is regarding the 3rd party support. It's true, many have complained about compatible software issues, the lack of direct connect and of the lack of 3rd party software that will be compatible when it arrives. I'm sure that will change...it'll be a chicken/egg coming first thing for a bit. Still, if you get your hands on a Digi developers catalogue, you'd be surprised at the amount of compatible 3rd party software, plugins, etc. I just got one a few days ago and was really blown away.
It sorta sounds like you've made your choice, but whatever the case, I wish you luck in your purchase! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]