Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2011, 04:21 AM

Default batch re-copy audio files into existing session?

so here's a problem i've never encountered until now:

i need to copy audio files into a session that are already there! duh!

i've got an album to mix this week, and it seems that PT didn't actually copy the files into the sessions when they were first imported. (for some reason the "copy files automatically" was unchecked in prefs... don't know why--i've had that pref checked for 15 years! lol)

anyway, yesterday i started setting up my mixes and doing some quick balancing, without realizing that the files were actually being read off the external backup disc where i originally copied the files when i received them from the artist.

these sessions will be moving around between 2 studios, so i need all the audio organized in one place.

So here’s the question: is there a way I can automatically batch copy all the audio files to the actual “audio files” folder of the session and get PT to read them from there instead of the external disk, without re-copying them one by one, and without losing all the work I did yesterday? (I’ve already set up 8 of the 12 mixes!)

PT gurus your input is appreciated! cheers
Old 12-11-2011, 05:14 AM

Copy and relink...

Option-o to open the project window
Scroll to the "path" collumn.
Click on the title of the collumn, you will see a little number "1" that indicate that the list is sorted by "path".
Scroll down to the first file that is not in your audio folder, click on it, scroll down to the last file, shift-click on it. Then select "copy and relink" from the drop down menu at the wright of the window.

JC
Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 AM

Default Re: batch re-copy audio files into existing session?

Save Session Copy is another option.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:14 AM

thanks for the suggestions guys, cheers.

i thought "save session copy" only copied stuff in the session folder itself? if it does indeed copy all audio used in the session rather that just the session "audio files" folder, it's definitely the easiest way to go about it...

when it creates the session copy, does it add everything to the new "audio files" folder, even if the files were elsewhere in the original session?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:02 AM

Or,
Imp session data track to track, but make sure you select "copy media" not "link to media". .?
But, if you've already started, trimming regions etc, do the Save Session Copy In. . . A lot less bover than a hover . .
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 12-12-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
when it creates the session copy, does it add everything to the new "audio files" folder, even if the files were elsewhere in the original session?
Yes. Don't forget to set the check box "all audio files".
Old 12-12-2011, 07:17 AM

Also check the copied session.
I've had time were I need to do this twice (1st one fails to get all)
Old 12-13-2011, 09:54 AM

thanks for the info gents!

but here's another weird thing: i decided just to copy the entire sessions, but i'm getting a weird bug suddenly that won't allow me to do it! (nor even do a "save as" with version history...)

PT keeps telling me the session name contains illegal characters, no matter what i type in, and won't allow me to do any saves other than a normal save. really weird...

i've tried taking out the version history i usually do with the "save as" function (mix 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc), i've tried removing all numbers and punctuation, and even tried letting it auto name the session "copy of XXX", but the same error message comes up every time.

any one else encounter this? any fixes other than trashing prefs or re-installing?

cheers
Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 AM

Oh. Ooop.
I had a vibe like that when I moved to Snow Leopard. It was to do with font sets. I think I ended up clean installing SL & Tools.
Try a search on fonts.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 12-13-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
thanks for the info gents!

but here's another weird thing: i decided just to copy the entire sessions, but i'm getting a weird bug suddenly that won't allow me to do it! (nor even do a "save as" with version history...)

PT keeps telling me the session name contains illegal characters, no matter what i type in, and won't allow me to do any saves other than a normal save. really weird...

i've tried taking out the version history i usually do with the "save as" function (mix 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc), i've tried removing all numbers and punctuation, and even tried letting it auto name the session "copy of XXX", but the same error message comes up every time.

any one else encounter this? any fixes other than trashing prefs or re-installing?

cheers

Make sure that ANY parent folder or drive in the chain does not have illegal characters.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.