Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2018, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Big Feature request: Autofreeze mode

I suppose it's possible that there are exceptions to where this technology can work.
I'd say that when you freeze a track, the feeding tracks are taken into account too, so that works. All that needs to be done to convert that to a background task is to have a virtual audio engine do exactly what the real audio engine does during an offline bounce.
If this was not possible, then I wager an offline bounce should not be possible either (which it wasn't originally, but then they rewrote PT and then it was possible).
What would be the reason that offline bounces/renders could not be done in the background?
I don't know.

I would say that it probably can, but still it need not even happen for the base idea to operate. Real time catching of streams to allow dynamic processing to kick in after a full pass, is already very helpful. It's pretty much automatic real time freeze, without the user noticing it.
If you can add the offline background render during idle and during playback to it, more power to us.

If anyone here really knows how PT works on a code/architecture level, and this person tells me that is is technically impossible to have a live audio engine AND an offline render as a background process, then I'd be interested to hear that.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:09 AM

Apparently something almost exactly what I'm suggesting has been in existence in DP for a while now and it's called pre-gen.

Guess it's not so stupid or impossible after all...
Old 10-17-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
Guess it's not so stupid or impossible after all...
I don't see why it would be, we put a man on the moon, why wouldn't we be able to do this! I'm pretty happy with Track Freeze the way it is and I've adapted my workflow to it but new ideas are always welcome even if they seem impossible atm.