Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-21-2006, 11:31 AM

Default AM2

Does anyone know if the new socket AM2 processors are compatible with Pro Tools? If so, how do they perform compared to socket 939?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Re: AM2

Hello..

yes, they are compatible. There is really no performance upgrade as far as the new pin design. They are to conform to the new MB's which now support (and make use of) DDR2-800 memory, which is where the upgrade is felt (kinda- I'd say, 20% performance increase).

My setup:

M2N32-SLI deluxe / AM2 4800+ X2 / 2 Gb OCZ DDR2-800 / Fire-Gl X3 / WD Raptor 74G X2

Runs like a dream..

Cheers,

-LIMiT
Old 01-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Hi LIMit,
Can you give me your exact specs as I am planning to build a system based on the AM2 and the M2N32 Sli mobo with the 002R. Also any DaveC or DVerb test results would b much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:45 PM

Dude I just bought an AM2 and I've been fighting with it for days to get it to work with my Didi001 OR my AudioMediaIII card. I don't know if it works with PTLE 7.0, but this board definitely WON'T run Pro Tools 6.4, 6.1.1 or 6.1

AMD 64 3500
ASUS M2NPV-VM (what, do they drop a golf ball on the keyboard to get their part #'s?)
I've tried 3 sticks of PC 5200 DDR2 RAM (I believe it's 5200, 667Mhz anyway)
Onboard everything except for the onboard video disabled.

Windows XP Pro with a fresh install.

Tried it for 2 days straight in every which way, always ending with the blue screen of death. Maybe memory timing can be changed to get it to work, but I get the feeling it has something to do with the way pro tools wants to use the PCI bus...wavedriver will allow windows media player to let the digi001's interface control the pc sound output ...but here's the funny thing...the digi001 hardware checks out(per digitest)...it's Pro Tools LE 6.4 that the board can't run.

So if you're going to go AM2, I hope you're using ptle7.0, and even then I can't say that that will work. I have yet to hear of ANY PTLE system running AM2. After I tried, I looked for others who had...with no luck.