Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-13-2002, 05:18 AM

Default ProTools LE vs. Cubase SX

I'm a singer/songwriter and I'm shopping for equipment for my new home studio. I'm thinking about Digi 001 as a possibility, since I've heard it has a good sound and nice mic preamps and it comes with LE.

However, 32 audio tracks might not be enough especially when I start recording and comping vocals. That's why I'm thinking of using Cubase SX because of more audio tracks and especially MIDI, which is, let's face it, better in Cubase than in PT. And LE, well, at least I will get some digi experience for a relatively affordable price.

BUT will Cubase run on Digi 001 soundcard? Will it be stable and compatible?

Is Digi 001's sound better than, for example RME? would you recommend this?

Please, let me know. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2002, 07:32 AM

Default Re: ProTools LE vs. Cubase SX

I can't say whether Cubase SX will run on a digi, though I can't imagine why it wouldn't. However, I use both these programs and can tell you a bit about the benefits of each. I use the LE/digi combo here at work, and I love that it's so easy to setup and simply works like a rock. It is however, very limited. There are a limited number of plugins, limited tracks and no midi to speak of. It does work like a horse though and is easy to get up to speed on.
Cubase SX on the other hand is much more difficult to get up to speed on, simply because it is such a deeper program. Also, there are innumerable hardware combinations that can be used with it, and each have their own set of difficulties to deal with. As opposed to the relative turnkey situation with the LE/digi setup. But, in my opinion, SX is a much more powerful program as long as you have need for midi. There are tons of plugins available for it, and it comes with quite an impressive set standard. But, I guarantee that it will take you longer to get it setup than LE. It's just the nature of the non-turnkey beast.
I use Cubase SX at home in my studio. I use the RME Hammerfal card which IMHO is the best card out there right now for the money. And I love the system. I get extremely low latency and the ASIO drivers are rock solid. If you go with Cubase I would highly recommend the RME product line as it simply works and sounds tremendous, and their support is tremendous.
But if you decide you don't need midi, then I would highly recommend LE. You just plug it in and go. It's easy to learn, and pretty capable.
And if the track limit is a problem for you, then you can always bounce tracks (mix and combine them) and make more tracks available. The main thing is you can get working a lot quicker with LE. SX is a lot more capable, and if you really need midi then I would go that direction, but there is a price to pay for that.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:46 AM

Cubase will work with the Digi 001 using the
new ASIO driver.
BUUUUT , the midi doesn't work yet.
Digi is supposedly working on that problem.
Cakewalk is going to be using the ASIO format too
very soon so Digi has to fix that MIDI problem
some how.

Here is where to get the new Beta ASIO driver

Note: I think Cubase used to work before the
ASIO came along but you only had two channels
using the Wave driver.
Now you have all eight but the wave driver won't work when your using ASIO.
Also you have to run Windows XP to use the ASIO
from what I read.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:28 AM

I would use both especially if you
rely heavily on midi. Use the Cubase SX/SL
for a songwriting workstation utilizing
all the plugs and soft-synths, etc.
And use another workstation for PT
for audio/editing/mixing/mastering.
That would be a great combination.

--james
Old 12-13-2002, 09:50 AM

Gotta love the A1 analog vsti in SX. This is a really good quality softsynth. Some good plugs come bundled with SX also.

If you're going to do alot of midi and use softsynths, you're gonna love SX. If you have never used cubase, it will be a steeper learning curve than the turnkey didg 01 le system. I would use both as having all your softsythns on one puter is the route to go givin the latency issues you will run into having it all on one system.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2002, 03:01 PM

Cubase SX is a far deeper and more complex DAW than LE is, so it will take a little longer to learn it well BUT once you know what you are doing SX blows LE away in every feature, especially in terms of MIDI and soft synths. Some peolpe say LE is more for audio while SX is more for midi, this is complete crap, the Mix/Edit engine of SX is just as powerful, if not more so, than LE.

LE is good value for money however, a little better than SX as you get either the 001, M-Box or 002 interface with LE, however, a good Echo, RME or MOTU soundcard/interface will be as good if not bettter than anything you can get for LE.

I started on LE and it was a great learning field, but i found it a little limiting, 32 track and no real soft synths got anoying after a while.

If you are on a tight budget go for LE it wont let you down (as long as you know its limitations) then after a year or two move to SX. If however you have the money, SX an RME soundcard and some good soft synths will do you much better than LE [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2002, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I use the LE/digi combo here at work, and I love that it's so easy to setup and simply works like a rock. It is however, very limited. There are a limited number of plugins, limited tracks and no midi to speak of.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have yet to come across a machine that has unlimited tracks or plugins. The CPU or DSP will max out at some point.

I guess it depends on what feeling you have on sonic clarity. There are many people who argue that Native will never sound as good as DSP. And DSP definitely has limits. Even an HD3.

No midi? Are you serious? I must have a ghost in my DAW then. Seems to work fine for me.

Please be a little more accurate in replying to serious enquiries.

Best regards
Old 12-13-2002, 05:02 PM

"I have yet to come across a machine that has unlimited tracks or plugins. The CPU or DSP will max out at some point."

Yeah thats true, BUT with a new powerful PC ie: an XP2200+/ P4 2.4 or above its possible to have larger sessions than 32 tracks quiet comfortably.

I use SX on an XP2100+ and while most of my sessions are between 20 and 26 audio tracks and 2-3 VSTi's, I can handle larger sessions if i need to. With LE you get no choice, 32 is the max For the hell of it a ran a 48 track session with a waves eq and compressor on every track, to test my system. It handled it, only just but it did handle it. Also with LE its 32 mono tracks, most of my sessions in SX are 12-16 mono tracks and 8-10 stereo tracks so that equals 28 to 36 tracks in LE meaning that about half my sessions would not be possible on LE.

Also the possibility to run a dedicated DSP card like a TC-Powercore or a UAD-1 means you add even more grunt to an SX system, there are no DSP cards for LE.

Again for the price an LE setup is very good value for money, a good SX setup will cost more, but you get what you pay for.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2002, 05:19 PM

You know it may sound crazy but with you being a singer/songwriter you may want to give Acid Pro 4 a try. With all the loops available for you to create a backing track plus all the midi things you could need.

Read up on it at SonicFoundry.com. Just check it out. It's only $150 and is a breeze to use and more fun than you would imagine.

And why not go for Sonar 2 XL? You would be surprised at the quality and ease of use.

I say shop around first. Nothing against Cubase or ProTools...I've used them all and they are great. If you are going the Digi route then I would get the 001 right now. But if you can wait about 6 months then I would get the 002. That thing ROCKS but it has some bugs that need to be worked out.

But the biggest thing is don't be put off against maybe using other programs than ProTools.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:50 PM

Hey man, now that digi(god bless 'em) has released this asio driver I too have been considering my sequencing options. If you play everything in real time, even synth stuff, and simply use the sequencer to record that then PT should suffice. There are many products like the roland spd series which are drum pads to play your own rhythms in real time, btw, and can trigger midi devices. You do not need the piano roll, or a special drum grid. If you do want all the little midi extra's then pro tools aint what you want; unless version 6 imrpoves things this will be true for some time to come. And, PT isnt exactly optimal for softsynths with PC's.

If you want to get into the virtual studio thing cubase handles software synths the best, and in sx there is system link which allows you to connect a second pc if you so choose. This is great for soft synths like tassman and reaktor which are notorious cpu hogs. When I downloaded the cubase demo, the first thing which struck me is this program is really confusing compared with PT. But, the vst instruments work superbly with this program. I know many people who use soft synths with cubase, it works quite well.

Now, Acid was mentioned. And so I feel it necessary to tell you, if you decided to try cakewalks sonar, then you wont need acid. There's a loop player thing which does the time stretch and tempo matching stuff built into the program. It also has DX plug ins and DX softsynths. They will be releasing an asio driver for sonar early next year, and then it will be compatible with digidesign hardware. And, sonar costs $300 less than cubase. Also, this program sports rewire support which works superbly with reason and ableton live. Personally I'm leaning towards sonar at the moment. But, I might break down and buy cubase if I cant stand the wait for sonar to go asio.

If you want a really easy way to make a drum beat, which can be imported into pro tools to build around with other instruments, then you should also check out fruity loops. It may seem like a toy, but its dead easy to create rhythms in the program and therefore is a serious tool.