Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #471  
Old 07-02-2019, 11:25 AM
YYR123's Avatar
YYR123 YYR123 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 13,651
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evermore View Post
Regardless if you can afford the price or not, anyone and everyone should be supporting each other as a community.

Supporting someone doesn’t mean I have to think like you (or even like how you think). This is a common mistake, another one is that I have to hate you b/c your opinion is different than mine. This is also false

I can disagree with your reasoning all I want and still support you and your decisions to leave Avid as a customer

It’s not an if and only type of support
__________________
Daniel
HDX - PT12.5.1 - HD I/O 16x8x8
Win10-Pro (v1709)- 6 Core i7-6850k - ASUS X99 Deluxe ii
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue


http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Reply With Quote
  #472  
Old 07-02-2019, 11:34 AM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 16,333
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
another one is that I have to hate you b/c your opinion is different than mine. This is also false
priceless
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #473  
Old 07-02-2019, 11:53 AM
jpsexton's Avatar
jpsexton jpsexton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Margate, FL
Posts: 103
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Supporting someone doesn’t mean I have to think like you (or even like how you think). This is a common mistake, another one is that I have to hate you b/c your opinion is different than mine. This is also false

I can disagree with your reasoning all I want and still support you and your decisions to leave Avid as a customer

It’s not an if and only type of support
Spoken like a true professional!
__________________
Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX Motherboard
Asus Thund​erbolt III​ AIC
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
UAD Apollo Twin Thunderbolt
OS - Windows 10 Pro

https://soundcloud.com/jpsexton

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Reply With Quote
  #474  
Old 07-02-2019, 12:55 PM
Evermore Evermore is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: US
Posts: 47
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Supporting someone doesn’t mean I have to think like you (or even like how you think). This is a common mistake, another one is that I have to hate you b/c your opinion is different than mine. This is also false

I can disagree with your reasoning all I want and still support you and your decisions to leave Avid as a customer

It’s not an if and only type of support
That's good News!

Peace!
Reply With Quote
  #475  
Old 07-02-2019, 01:40 PM
rjbenson rjbenson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Late to the party, but I just registered on the DUC to voice my frustrations.

PT user since v6 (original Mbox). Certified back on v7. Workflow HEAVILY ingrained, especially editing.

I also teach music production, and I lean heavily on PT and encouraged students to purchase their own licenses after they no longer have access to our computer lab -- whether DIY artists or budding professionals, knowledge of PT is beneficial.

I am now slightly embarrassed for having passed along these motivations to students -- those who bought PT per my suggestion will almost certainly feel duped whether they pay double the cost, feel forced to shift to the subscription model, or even unwittingly crossgrade without realizing the consequences of relinquishing their perpetual license (we can all admit the entire process is convoluted and may easily confuse some). Yes, they are young adults and can make their own decisions -- but they look to me for guidance and I feel badly if they are locked into this ecosystem when it may no longer work for them financially. I honestly want to know the percentage of all PT users who still don’t even realize this change has transpired. One email in this short of time frame is not sufficient for such a substantial change.

What an unbelievably foolish decision for Avid to double-down on the subscription route, and jack up the price to boot. I am likely to stop using PT in the classroom because this model is simply unsustainable for individuals and institutions alike. Even if the multiseat licensing (prices for which are not openly available) is affordable for my campus or we splurge and buy perpetual licenses for all of our computers before that option vanishes (because Avid), I refuse to foster this model for the next generation of music makers.

For my own needs, I didn’t shell out the $99 price for future years -- though I considered it all week. A modest increase (e.g. $120 annually) would not have been a huge deal. But when I reconsidered the drastic increase in price, the ROI, the unprofessional nature of the announcement (2 weeks notice), conflicting answers to the same questions on various website FAQs… this company has absolutely no idea how to function properly and owns a warped vision of the future. I’ll ride out the updates through the end of my current plan (late December) and park my system on 2019.x. Maybe the best way to stick it to Avid is to squeeze every last drop out of the license I already paid for, while they make no more $$ off of my efforts.

As for switching to another DAW right now, I don’t see the point…
Logic editing is cumbersome.
S1 does nothing for me, even with the ported shortcuts.
Cubase is too deep to learn from scratch.
Reaper is just, meh.
Ableton Live development has heavily focused on Push integration and doesn’t suit me anymore.
Bitwig is intriguing, but it isn’t quite there yet — the cluttered browser leads to a poor workflow.

When my system bites the dust years from now, I’ll probably just switch to Reason full time -- as an electronic musician, I really ENJOY using Reason. I guess I can hope Propellerhead eventually revamps the audio editing to be closer to what PT provides… because even if Avid’s move is a colossal disaster, I can’t see them being financially forced to downsize and sell off PT to a developer willing to invest in the platform to do right by a (formerly) loyal user base.

It sucks watching a giant fall… but my popcorn will taste better with a perpetual license.

rjb

P.S. Fully intend to see this deal rolled out again for Black Friday.
Reply With Quote
  #476  
Old 07-02-2019, 02:02 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 16,333
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Hi, welcome to the community.

You don't have to feel sorry about policy decisions made by Avid, just keep on teaching the students with the best platform out there. I'm sure those who have garage bands value every dollar in their pocket but someone making money later will appreciate PT training just as much in the coming years as before.
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old 07-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Lemoncel Lemoncel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 52
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Pretty standard when you’re playing catch up.
Are you suggesting that Logic is playing catch up to Pro Tools? Perhaps in market share, but certainly not in updates/features. You can flip that around.
Look if you prefer Pro Tools to Logic that's totally understandable. I do for some things. But in a feature-for-feature comparison, as well as update schedules and regular bug fixes, sorry but you're wrong (if that is in fact what you're saying).
Go have a look at what Logic has added or fixed in the past 2 or 3 updates vs what Pro Tools has added. Not even close. Do you even own Logic?

I'm not suggesting that anyone is wrong to have a preference - editing audio or whatever. I'm also not suggesting that Logic is better or that Pro Tools is better.
My point all along is that Avid has been dripping improvements and requiring pre-payment yearly, while Logic has been updating big and frequently, at no charge. It's that simple, and in my opinion, Pro Tools does not provide enough value for me to double my yearly payment.
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old 07-02-2019, 02:14 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 16,333
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncel View Post
Do you even own Logic?
Most of the Windows users don't.. and the ones that do have very old version
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old 07-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Lemoncel Lemoncel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 52
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

He's got an MBP and Mojave listed in his signature.
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old 07-02-2019, 02:57 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 16,333
Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

No the point (except the post you mentioned) -- there is a great percentage of users that Logic isn't an option
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Important Update on Upcoming Creative Tools Price Adjustments | 7.1.19 Avid General Announcements 1 06-27-2019 11:47 AM
Mbox Gain Issues and Protools Issues (Bounce to Disk and Knob/Pot adjustments) Lucky Bastard Getting Started 6 01-16-2014 03:29 PM
Protools 8HD upgrade price? pablotec Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 20 10-08-2008 12:30 PM
Protools HD to "HD II" upgrade price speculation....? N.E.R.D Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 2 07-12-2007 05:13 PM
G4 price drop in July? Mike Brosco Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 28 07-10-2002 11:39 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com