Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-08-2000, 12:55 AM

Default Dell Demension XPS T700r compatiblity

I should have been studing computers instead of guitars when I was younger. As much as I've read from the users I'm still not sure if this things gonna work on my Computer. Maybe you can help. This is all the info I could muster.
Hi, My name is Billy Davidson. In preparation of buying The Digi 001 and after many days of research on your site (Especially on your compatibility page) I downloaded Pro Tools free and the demo to see if my computer would be compatible. I followed all the instructions buy couldn't get the thing to run. I know because it's free that you don't offer any support. That's okay because I want the 001 anyway, As much as I've tried I'm still not sure if my computer is compatible with 001. I'm hoping you can tell me. I've read similar situations on your site on your users page but because I'm fairly limited in my knowledge of computers I'm clueless.

Bought the Computer in March 2000 with these components
30 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive (7200) RPM with ATA 66 Controller Card 27.9 GB
Memory 128MB 100 MHZ SDram with ECC
Windows 98SE

Had an extra HD installed and Boosted Ram up to 256K in preparation for Digi 001.
I've accessed Devise manager so I hope this is the info that you'll need to make a finding.
Although I see your not compatible I've also installed Windows ME that will be either be
compatible when I purchase or I'll uninstall. If there's any other info you need to make a determination please let me know.

Model: Dimension XPS T 700r Processor: P3,CU,700/100,256K,SLOT1
System Service Tag: EU0IG Express Service Code: 24914968

Devise Manager/Disc Drive reads:
1.44 Generic NEC floppy drive
Internal Iomega Zip 1000 Drive
ST330630 A (C Drive)
ST330630 A (D Drive)

Devise Manager/Hard Disc Controller Reads:
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Primary IDE Controller (Dual Fifo)
Secondary IDE Controller (Dual Fifo)

Turtle beach Montego II A3D320V Sound Card
Internal 12x max variable NEC DV-5700A DVD drive and decoder drive with TV out.
2nd bay Sony CRX140E cd-rw Drive 8x/4x/x32
32 MB NVIDIA geForce Plus APG Graphics Card
3COM V.90/56K PCI Telephony Modem for sound option.

I'll be glad to give a guitar lesson if you can get me an answer. Billy Davidson

------------------
Old 12-07-2000, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Dell Demension XPS T700r compatiblity

Billy... I feel you man. I wish I had studied computers as well. you sound like you know what yer talking about. I just decided to make the leap from analog to digital recording and there is a whole slew of new #@$ to learn and understand. From what I have learned already from my own humble research is that you sound like you have a pretty good system to work on. MAKE SURE YOUR PROCESSOR IS PENTIUM MADE. AMD IS NOT COMPATIBLE. I am buying a whole new computer with this in mind. I hope i am up and running by X-mas with my computer and 001. Good luck bro...slydeni
Old 12-11-2000, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Dell Demension XPS T700r compatiblity

Hi, billy, I have almost the same computer as you and yes your system is compatible- 256 sdram is over the minimum requirements . Iwould uninstall Window ME before I loaded digi oo1- it is not supported yet,and is too unstable an operating system- mine crashed twice before I took it off my system.Windows98 SE would be my choice- also I didn't notice whether you had a CD-rw or not ,you will need one to burn CD's. I just bought the Plextor 12\10\32 and love it. anyway, their are a lot of opinions on this message board- not all so helpful- but it looks like you are good to go - let me know how you fared- e-mail if you like at paul88ks@direcpc.com -p.s. just re-read your post and you have everything you need- uninstall ME-at least till they get all the bugs out of it - good luck- Paul

------------------
pieannyplaer