Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2013, 10:37 PM

Default RTAS to AAX Automation loss

I had massive in the previous RTAS or whatever the real time version is called, and when I installed the AAX version with my komplete upgrade, protools replaced all of the rtas versions with aax versions. This is fine, except that all of my automation is now gone. Is there a workaround for this? Or a way to get the previous version of massive back just for projects with the previous version?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:51 PM

Default Re: RTAS to AAX Automation loss

Okay, I just deleted the AAX version of the plugin, and it reverted back to the old DPM version, and now the automation is back. So, there is an issue with protools choosing the AAX version over the DPM when a track was originally created with the DPM. This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't delete all of my automation. So, is there a workaround to fix this? Or do I need to delete and undelete (depending on the project) the aax version depending on whether the track was originally created with the aax version or DPM? Cause thats kind of lame honestly.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:47 PM

Is this with Kontakt only? When you port a plug-in from RTAS to AAX, you have to keep the plug-in parameter names the same because that is what the automation system uses to hook up automation data. Please contact NI with your bug.

Dave
Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 PM

This has nothing to do with kontakt, its not even using kontakt. Massive is its own plugin, and all the names are the same. I don't think this is an NI issue because the automation in the track has nothing to do with the plugin. The "location" of the automation remains the same, however, the values are "flatlined." If that makes sense.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Avid

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. To echo Dave's answer - this will almost certainly come down to an issue in how NI has set up the parameters in the AAX version of Massive. From your description of the problem, my guess is that the only workaround for will be to uninstall the AAX version of Massive.

We will let NI know about this, but the best course of action for these kinds of issues is to contact the plug-in developer directly. That way you'll be able to get an estimate from them regarding when the issue will be fixed and their suggested workaround (they may have a better suggestion than the above.)
Old 05-31-2013, 04:20 PM

This is one of those areas where having 10.3.5 & 11 will be handy.
I'll have to go back and test as a similar automation I had in TDM that did not translate to an AAX HDX system. I believe it was Delay 111 TDM (Old GUI) to Delay 111 native (New GUI)
Old 06-01-2013, 04:31 AM

Cedar DNS One has the same problem. Automation does'nt translate correctly from RTAS to AAX.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 PM

It sounds like this is an issue across several plugin types actually. This might be something to make developers aware of (this is to avid), that they have to make the parameters exactly the same otherwise we all lose our automation, which is infuriating to say the least. This actually happened with a previous version of massive to a newer version (not just rtas to aax, I think it was the 1.3 to 1.6 upgrade). I will ALSO send an email to NI as well, but Avid, please try and bring this to the attention of plugin manufacturers so we nip it in the bud when they're creating new versions.

Oh, and another thing. The NEW version of Massive (again, I'll send this to NI), the values don't translate as well. Example, the rate value (alright, yes, its for dubstep, shut it, you do what the client asks), though it may be listed as values 1-32, the actual spacing of 8 can vary, rather than snapping to a grid, if that makes sense. You can have inclines rather than static grid lines, and either I'd like the option to use that when I want, or have the values be one for one, and 8 always be the same horizontal level. Does that make sense?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:08 AM

Regarding CEDAR DNS One and RTAS - AAX automation issue. If you download and install the lastest CEDAR AAX 5.2 . This is fixed.

I contacted [email protected] and they sent me a link to download the new software. You will have to do a dongle firmware update but this was easy to do.