Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2010, 05:02 PM

Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
$250 for a micro! you can get them all day brand new for $149 w/PT8 $199 for a mini w/pt8. And if you go to a store that does Price beating you can get them even less.... you can do the same with the crossgrade box...
i was just using the sweetwater price.. never really shopped around for them

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 11-09-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
i was just using the sweetwater price.. never really shopped around for them
understandable. But if anyone is interested in a Mini, Sweetwater has them for $199, go to Music123.com and they will beat that price for you

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Smile Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

thanks for having me back... not my first post, but Ive been here for some time...
just wanna say that the DUC depressed me about a year ago, as PT LE was in a funk... white noise bursts, OS compatability issues, seemingly unanswered ADC cries for help, and even people rewiring Reaper for obvious reasons.. (I also bought Reaper)

This change in the fundamental way that people can use PT transcends all of the griping and fussin' and a fighting we've seen here on the DUC for some time now...

I did want to address the devaluing of Digi hardware, though. Just my situation, though, and others who may have purchased recently (which is a personal choice, and I won't touch people's motivations when it comes to saying they own PT) I bought my 002 on september 6th,2005. I have owned it for roughly 1,888 days. At $1.20 a day I have owned a great piece of hardware that has performed flawlessly since day one.

Sometimes I look at the 002 and yearn to get the 003 (how long does upgrade envy last??)... but I know I cant sell it for anything really... same goes for my original mbox..
No matter.... I use both daily and without fail.

As far as the crossgrade price of PT 9 goes, even for a part timer this is a steal... there is no debate.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubpimpjuice View Post

As far as the crossgrade price of PT 9 goes, even for a part timer this is a steal... there is no debate.

Look it really is. I'm really not a Digi/Avid fanboi, I'm like alot have been here...like the software, the company's policies not so much.

My gripe is the HD8 to HD9 upgrade...there ain't much there for HD. It's kind of a rip actually but I did it anyway today. They claim the main gripe was HD rooms wanting to be able to take their stuff home. I call BS...the main biatch has been no ADC in LE and being married to Digi Hardware. All that moaning aside...I used it today without the HD cards just as PT9 native style & it works really well...at least on a Mac Pro. Hopefully that's the end of my pimping.

Bottomline says I: This is a no brainer...if you have LE, get the PT9 upgrade. It's a great deal...HD not so much but maybe they'll take care of HD owners next go 'round!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Avid is becoming a case study in how to do it right. Who knew?
I kno rite!!! Finally after allll these years

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
But they're not the same product. LE users could get DV Toolkit and Complete Production Toolkit previously, M-Powered users couldn't.
But they cost the same. In fact, M-Powered cost more as I've illustrated with the Micro vs. M-Powered example.
Quote:
Since DVTK was integrated into Pro Tools 9, M-Powered owners who couldn't have it before, now get it with their upgrade. Since some LE owners may have already had it, we wanted to take that into account, amongst MANY other factors that determined the price.
You could have easily given a discount to those who purchased the Toolkit's separately.

Quote:

As I said - it's not perfect, but we tried to be as fair as possible.

We welcome feedback, but going around in circles with this isn't going to change anything. I understand your frustration and wish I could do something about it, but I can't.

And before anyone comes back with 'Well, what would have been fair is...' - just know that we've had many conversations about this internally and there's simply not going to be any changes to the pricing structure. We think Pro Tools 9 is an amazing value and well worth the upgrade price.
No one expects perfection, but customers of M-Audio products have been treated poorly by the Avid/Digidesign with regard to Pro Tools for many years now, this is just one last stab at M-Powered users for cash and it's rotten.

I understand you're not going to change, but that doesn't mean that Avid made the right decision. Surely I'm allowed to voice my discontent having paid thousands of dollars to Avid over the years, I can't believe the attitude of some on these forums who think I should just shut up and take it.

By Avid's own admission, the two biggest features (any interface & ADC) in PT9 are the direct result of customer feedback. It seems as though if it were up to some of the people around this forum, Pro Tools would never have any new features!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:23 PM

I agree!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:22 AM

+2
Old 11-10-2010, 05:07 AM

I bought Pro Tools 9 crossgrade today for $250. I love it. It's going to make my mixing so much easier and smoother.
Just to put this into perspective, I am currently working two part time jobs. One of them is at a mastering house here (for 8 hours a week!) and the other is doing data entry for a club promotions place (for around 12 hours a week)... this normally adds up to around $350 a week so it's a pretty serious thing for me to spend $250 on anything, let alone a software upgrade.

I don't make money from clients yet. I only got my diploma in audio engineering (yes from SAE. Yes I know the bad feelings people have towards them, yes I realise I'm not technically an 'engineer'; despite all that I got a LOT out of the course because I used their studio about 4 times a week and it introduced me to pro-tools which blew my mind a little) a few months ago, but it led to my 'assistant engineer' job at the mastering house and I love just being around audio.

From just my past year of using pro tools 7.4 at school and 8 at home, I can tell 9 is a big deal. not only does it let me mix without having the interface attached (i'm not really bitter at having to buy my mbox2pro in the first place, my mixes still sound better through it, it drives my quested s6's (you dont want to know how long it took me to save up for them) and there's no way I'm going to record into my laptop line in) but it also makes working in it EASIER. Things seem to just make more sense and I'm getting fewer errors and 'what just happened?' moments than before, noticeable in just one day of using it.

so yes... i understand what it is to have no money. i have no 'brainless' devotion to Avid (in fact I considered moving over to either Cubase or Logic just recently, but actually using logic for a few months on a friend's computer changed my mind on that), i just saw a product that was really handy for me made even more useful by implementing nearly everything I felt was missing beforehand.

I was personally shocked at how cheap it was. Have you actually looked at how expensive other DAW software is? I would've paid $350 for the upgrade (I'd just be posting this a week later :)) .. I don't see the point in all this soap box grandstanding.

Like many have pointed out before me.. you don't HAVE to upgrade. Upgrading just makes sense to me.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:47 AM

So with the music production toolkit 2 out out of commission and a majority now included in PT9, shouldn't there be something for us who previously purchased this? It would be nice if they would give a little bit of a reduced crossgrade price who practically already having the equivalent of what can upgraded to. It sucks to take a loss when you got MP2 and shelled out the dough and the next guy got a basic system, both upgrade for price and get the same thing. I don't know. I could be wrong. Just seems a little unfair I guess.