Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-04-2015, 09:43 PM

Default Official and best way to report bugs to Avid?

I see no special forum for this, like Steinberg has.
Cakewalk has a real bugtracker where you can follow status of what you reported.

For ProTools:
a) do you need support plan or buy support ticket to do that?
b) right here on forum is only way
c) other

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Official and best way to report bugs to Avid?

There are two methods IMNSHO, submit a reproducible issue to TechSupport or Avid's Subscription Support Plan (that's what you pay them for, right) or secondly, post that reproducible case directly to the relative forum where someone with a vested interest will pick it up.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
There are two methods IMNSHO, submit a reproducible issue to TechSupport or Avid's Subscription Support Plan (that's what you pay them for, right) or secondly, post that reproducible case directly to the relative forum where someone with a vested interest will pick it up.
Thank you.
What I was thinking is doing the sneak way renewing without support plan later, next year. Just doing upgrade plan.

Haven't checked what they charge for single support tickets, but seems odd to need to pay to report a problem - it's hardly support as such.

Forum here seems volontary if response in any way.

When it comes to serious issues one want a reliable way of doing it.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:19 AM

http://protools.ideascale.com/
Categories section down the right side column of the page: ProTools Bugs
Old 11-06-2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
http://protools.ideascale.com/
Categories section down the right side column of the page: ProTools Bugs
Much obliged, exactly what I wished for.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:39 AM

I have been around long enough, various daws, not to think a vendor jumps on every report or suggestion.

For me it works like a calming cure still to have left info for them to act on.
And possibility to find a workaround as well if reported before, or is a typo in manual of the functionality etc.

So partly Ideascale will be what me make it.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipL View Post
Much obliged, exactly what I wished for.
Except ...... confidence in the veracity of Avid's interaction of Ideascale is not high, whether in relation to bugs, or, indeed, IDEAS.

To me, it seems a bizarre way of managing the public interface so far as remedial action to rectify bugs is concerned, and the concept that a bug fix might be prioritised according to how many people vote for it is just laughable, given the much lower 'turnout' at Ideascale as compared to here.

Voting numbers are generally so small as to be insignificant numerically. The difference between something getting 20 or 200 votes is just as likely to be due to the quality of the original thread title, and the number of times in the thread that someone has provided a link to the Ideascale entry, as to any genuine indication of the number of people affected/interested.

... We already have a forum as a place where people come seeking solutions to problems. It's called the DUC.

... Most people here are unaware of Ideascale unless it is specifically mentioned in a thread they happen to take an interest in. And then it's only if they make the effort to go to Ideascale that they MAY vote on it. That does not seem a robust system to me.

... The Avid website directs people here when they are looking for a community forum in the hope that there may be solution to the problem they are having.

... Ideascale entries often do not include temporary (or semi-permanent) workaround information.

To me, it would simply be much more useful to have a bug reporting section in this forum. At the very least, I think, we need a sticky in this forum that directs people to Ideascale for bug reporting.

What I'd like though, is a summary sticky for open confirmed bugs, so we can go straight to a single thread to look through what are the confirmed currently 'live' bugs. Each summary sticky entry should have a link to a thread in the 'Bugs' section of the forum that is specific to the bug. Or a link to the specific related Ideascale entry.

To me it is very important that we should be kept informed. At a pinch, even a simple list that says these are the bugs currently being worked on, and these are the next in line after that would be helpful. So we know whether to expect something sooner or later.

I don't get the secrecy, it is must disrespectful to all the people that have bought the product. We pay a lot of money for the software, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect quality feedback and updates on what's happening bug fix wise.

I remember not so long ago that we were told by some here that Avid had to keep 'cool new features' shrouded in secrecy because of some arcane US law that demanded companies actually release stuff within the same finanical period that they were announced.

Well that theory has been blown out of the water by Avid in recent times. And while I'm no expert on US law, are we really saying that this law also applies to keeping your customers informed about bug fixes? I doubt it.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)