Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-22-2000, 06:13 AM

Default I\'m leaving UDMA/66 to go back to regular controller...

Hello!

I understand that the performance of my 800MHz PIII is being limited because I have my hard drives connected to the UDMA/66 controller built into my motherboard, an ASUS CUBX.

It was explained to me that the performance hit occurs because the driver is allowing the controller to have too large a time slice and is keeping ProTools from having its full time slice.

I'm wondering if I can simply turn off UDMA/66 support in my motherboard's BIOS and de-install the drivers for my controller chip. Will this get me back to a plain vanilla, standard HD controller? Or must I open my computer and physically move the drive cables over to the UDMA/33 connectors. (Where will I connect my ZIP drive under this scenario?)

Also, as I read this conference, the UDMA/66 controller chip that almost everyone is having problems with is the one made by Promise. My controller is made by CMD. Should I still be experiencing these problems? Are there any ASUS CUBX owners out there who are running their drives with the UDMA/66 controller who can run at the smallest buffer settings without interrupt holdoff errors?

Any enlightenment on any of these point is appreciated.

Best Regards,

merwin
Old 08-22-2000, 09:49 AM

Default Re: I\'m leaving UDMA/66 to go back to regular controller...

The CMD controller is relatively stable from what I've heard. The controller everybody was having problems with was on the Abit BE6-II boards (Highpoint). I also didn't know anyone was having trouble with the Promise controller.

What sort of problems are you having? I would try other things before you blame the CMD controller and disable it.
ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU RT
EnerMax EG365P-VE FMA 1.3 RT
GeForce2MX
Old 08-22-2000, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the reply, bstaley.

In fact, it seems as though I've heard of folks having problems with the Highpoint and the Promise controllers, so it wasn't a stretch for me to believe that my CMD controller (or the drivers) could be flaky too.

My main problem stems from the fact that I can't run PT 5.0.1 at the smallest buffer size setting of 128 samples. I have a PIII 800EB chip running in an ASUS CUBX motherboard with a gently overclocked 133MHz FSB. I've got 256MB of quality PC133 memory and two fast UDMA/66 capable drives. I've got an extremely virgin system running practically nothing except ProTools.

I've read posts from folks on this message board who claim to be able to run at the 128-sample buffer size with PIII 650MHz processors with no problem at all. The fact that I can't do this means I've got a performance-limiting issue in my system somewhere.

Mind you, my system runs rock solid at the 256-sample setting, but when I bought this system, I was counting on being able to run at the smallest buffer size to minimize monitoring latency. (Yes, I know about the Low Latency Monitoring feature; it doesn't always meet my needs.)

Eric Day, the intrepid DAE Engineer, has repeatedly suggested on this forum that the drivers for these UDMA/66 controllers could be hogging the processor and not allowing PT it's share of time, causing the infamous "Interrupts Held Off" error.

All of this has led to my inquiry above. Can you or anyone else shed any light on this before I go mucking about in my BIOS and my computer case?

Thanks again,

merwin
Old 08-22-2000, 01:02 PM

If you're convinced that it's the ATA66 controller then I would advise you to switch the IDE cables to the onboard ATA33 connectors on the motherboard. Try it and see if it makes a difference. I'm curious.
ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU RT
EnerMax EG365P-VE FMA 1.3 RT
GeForce2MX
Old 08-22-2000, 01:19 PM

I have almost the same problem as merwin. I've got almost exactly the same computor configuration exept mine is a pIII 700.
When I try to playback the demosession ( or any audio in PT ) the system stops after some 1 or 2 seconds with a message like "playback stopped, try to increase the DAE buffert size -9093"

What is the cause of this?