Hi everybody,

I've:

- Lenovo Thinkpad P50
- Xeon CPU
- 16GB Ram
- 500GB SSL HD for the system
- 2TB Hybrid HD for datas
- Win 7 pro 64bit

I've Pro Tools 12.5HD & a lot of plug-ins. I've too many plug-ins for the system, cause when I've started it, there was a message, that it couldn't load some plug-ins... So I've put some Plug-Ins into the unused aax-Folder - it was no problem anymore.

Now my question: is it possible to load a plugin only when I insert it? Means: not when I load pro tools? Actually it makes no sense that Pro Tools loads all Plug-Ins when it starts.

Best regards

Tom
Old 10-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Development Partner

Default Re: Load Plug-In only when inserted

Pro Tools scans all of your plugins at startup--whether they're used or not. This is to determine whether the plugins meet a few basic standards for operation. It's a quick load/unload of each plug. That's what you're seeing.

You can contrast this with what many other DAWs do: keep a blacklist. They'll scan plugs in the version numbers have changed or if the plugs have a different date (criteria differ for different DAWs). A plugin can go on the blacklist for all sorts of reasons. It might be broken or you may have simply forgotten to put an iLok in.

I routinely have to walk customers through taking a plugin off the blacklist, so I'll take the Pro Tools method any time.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exponential Audio View Post
I'll take the Pro Tools method any time.
Same here!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipto View Post
Hi everybody,

I've:

- Lenovo Thinkpad P50
- Xeon CPU
- 16GB Ram
- 500GB SSL HD for the system
- 2TB Hybrid HD for datas
- Win 7 pro 64bit

I've Pro Tools 12.5HD & a lot of plug-ins. I've too many plug-ins for the system, cause when I've started it, there was a message, that it couldn't load some plug-ins... So I've put some Plug-Ins into the unused aax-Folder - it was no problem anymore.

Now my question: is it possible to load a plugin only when I insert it? Means: not when I load pro tools? Actually it makes no sense that Pro Tools loads all Plug-Ins when it starts.

Best regards

Tom
What exact message did you get - too many plugs or that some plugs couldn't be loaded because they weren't aax64? Or was it because an authorization couldn't be found?

This is the first time I've heard of the 'too many plugs' thing while starting PT12; I know PT10 can throw that message up. The usual action to take in that case is to restart PT so that the rest of the scan can finish. This should only happen once; you may want to try this with PT12.

BTW - how many plugins DO you have?

QAPLA!