Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 11-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Default Mac Pro now takes two tries to start.

My MacPro (Mid2012) has been running fine, but yesterday it wouldn't start on the first try. Front fan starts and lights come on but I never get the sound from the speaker signifying that all has begun also just black screen. I then power down from the front button, wait 30 seconds and push the button again. This time I do get the splash screen and the sound and all is well. This seems to be the way it's going to work from now on and that bothers me.

Since it isn't SOP, one day it just might not come on after the second try. Does this seem like a power supply issue? Should I get another power supply as a standby unit? Any way to diagnose this problem? What do you suggest?

I'm running OSX 10.8.5 and haven't added any software or upgraded anything to cause this situation that I know of. A couple of times I've just held the power button in for about ten seconds and it has started correctly but that doesn't work every time and probably isn't good on the system.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)
Old 11-09-2014, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Mac Pro now takes two tries to start.

have you tried resetting the Power Manage Unit (PMU) button on the MoBo

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-10-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
have you tried resetting the Power Manage Unit (PMU) button on the MoBo
I thought procedure to reset PMU on MacPros was to pull the power cord for 15 secs? I don't think they have a button on the MoBo, that was the PPC generation:

http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT3964

Anyway to the OP, if it's any consolation our 2007 model has been doing that every now and again for at least 4 years and has never given up the ghost completely. Most of the time it works if you power down and power back on again. Very occasionally it doesn't - in which case unplugging the cable to reset the PMU has always worked.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:46 PM

maybe, so many models bouncing around in my head I get confused sometimes

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-10-2014, 03:33 PM

I just went through this my my 2012 quad core Mac Pro. I had two major problems. A bad power supply and a bad front power button. It was under Apple Care and fixed for free but it took about 30 days on the Apple workbench to be fixed.

If you have Apple Care and are going to take it in I would remove any third party parts. I ended up taking out my HD Native card and swapping out my OWC ram for the stock ram. The Apple technicians got way too hung up on third party parts before they would even consider that it might be the machine.

Best of luck,

Scott