Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2017, 09:28 AM

Default Re: 12.8.2 and Midi : more disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer49 View Post
Hi Claude, can you be more specific about which MIDI functions Pro Tools does not offer you? I actually find it to be very powerful, and I can do certain things way more quickly and intuitively than in other DAWs (specifically DP and Logic). I agree that it's not perfect. But, from a workflow perspective, it ticks a lot of boxes for me. Just curious...
(ps - i work with large VI templates, with a lot of libraries that employ keyswitching, etc... not to mention markers & tempo maps.)
The first thing is the interface: 4 windows with drop down menus and sliders. These drop-down menus, in the same windows, lead us to different functions that can be useful in chain, quickly. Which is impossible via drop-down menus. A drop-down menu, it dates from the time when the screens were small, without HD. Today, we have enough space. All these windows should be open in one panel, where everything is directly accessible. On the other hand, these windows are dysfunctional. For example: if I have already entered with my mouse a set of notes and I want to mount them an octave, I open the panel, I unwind the menu and I move the silly slider or I enter +1 or - 1. But it does not work, because I opened the stupid window after. I have to re-enter the notes with my mouse, once the window is open. Another example: no shortcuts to go up or down the octave. In an orchestral arrangement, we do that 1000 times. And I do not even talk about filter changes that Cubase and even Reaper allows. PT has great success in MIDI, but the work is not finished. People who are satisfied with PT simply do not know the possibilities of other daw. That's why they are happy. I gave quick examples, but there are hundreds.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 10-22-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
The first thing is the interface: 4 windows with drop down menus and sliders. These drop-down menus, in the same windows, lead us to different functions that can be useful in chain, quickly. Which is impossible via drop-down menus. A drop-down menu, it dates from the time when the screens were small, without HD. Today, we have enough space. All these windows should be open in one panel, where everything is directly accessible. On the other hand, these windows are dysfunctional. For example: if I have already entered with my mouse a set of notes and I want to mount them an octave, I open the panel, I unwind the menu and I move the silly slider or I enter +1 or - 1. But it does not work, because I opened the stupid window after. I have to re-enter the notes with my mouse, once the window is open. Another example: no shortcuts to go up or down the octave. In an orchestral arrangement, we do that 1000 times. And I do not even talk about filter changes that Cubase and even Reaper allows. PT has great success for MIDI, but the work is not finished. People who are satisfied with PT simply do not know the possibilities of other daw. That's why they are happy. I gave quick examples, but there are hundreds.
Are you referring to the Event Operations window? Of all the many things that have frustrated me about PT, this is not one of them. I alternate between clip view and notes view for MIDI editing. This is all in the main edit window - I never open the MIDI editor window itself. When I've selected the notes or passage, opening the E.O. window doesn't deselect them (for me, at least). I find the shortcut to open the window pretty straightforward (Alt + 0), and you can just hit Tab to cycle through the options and type in the exact amount you want to transpose up or down really quickly. A pretty seamless process, and I transpose all day long YMMV.

Last edited by fixxer49; 10-22-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: specificity
Old 10-22-2017, 04:30 PM

I would love to see a visual playlist view for MIDI that works just like playlist lanes work for audio.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
I would love to see a visual playlist view for MIDI that works just like playlist lanes work for audio.

Yes this sounds really good!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
Yes, that's another problem. Cubase does it. I do not have time to answer each point, but my comments are based on a comparison of DAW MIDI. If we only know PT, we can be happy. I repeat that PT has extraordinary MIDI elements. But he lacks the basics. Avid has just allowed the entry of notes by moving the horizontal arrows. Wow!

PT is an unbalanced software. Even in audio. It is wonderful, but it does not offer an interesting and comprehensive visual schematic of a signal across all tracks. It does not provide an overall statistics analysis of a file or clip. It does not move more than one marker ... you have to copy and paste, as in prehistory. It does not offer track solo on click (the hit list becomes a solo track): io do Shift-S all day listening and editing ... Extraordinary qualities, but extraordinary flaws.

• Etc.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's another problem. Cubase does it. I do not have time to answer each point, but my comments are based on a comparison of DAW MIDI. If we only know PT, we can be happy. I repeat that PT has extraordinary MIDI elements. But he lacks the basics. Avid has just allowed the entry of notes by moving the horizontal arrows. Wow!

PT is an unbalanced software. Even in audio. It is wonderful, but it does not offer an interesting and comprehensive visual schematic of a signal across all tracks. It does not provide an overall statistics analysis of a file or clip. It does not move more than one marker ... you have to copy and paste, as in prehistory. It does not offer track solo on click (the hit list becomes a solo track): io do Shift-S all day listening and editing ... Extraordinary qualities, but extraordinary flaws.
Cubase Sounds Wonderful .. !!! may i "Sincerely" ask why you use Pro Tools, if Cubase does everything better ???

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-22-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
Cubase Sounds Wonderful .. !!! may i "Sincerely" ask why you use Pro Tools, if Cubase does everything better ???
Pas le son. Pt est meiux pour l,enregistrement et le playback. Et son usage est universel dans les studio pro.

You must be able to understand the general superiority of PT, but also its imperfections, so its possibilities for advancement. Simple.

• Etc.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:46 AM

My midi needs are probably pretty basic compared to a lot of you. All I really do is program drums, and there's a couple features that could make life so much easier for that specific task. For me I'd love if I could:

1. Name the keys as to which drum they are! Even just a text entry box on the key itself would be so helpful.

2. Reorder the midi notes so that my drum kit (notes) are all grouped together.

3. Only show velocities for a selected note. Is there already a way to do this?? I can grab all the notes and the velocities will highlight but I don't want to have to look at all the other velocities.

My questions are:

Can Pro Tools already do any of these things? Maybe I just haven't learned how yet..

Are these features commonly used and requested enough that they might eventually be implemented or is this small potatoes stuff compared to other requested midi features?

Is there any other daw that does all these things?

Thanks!
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 10-23-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Pas le son. Pt est meiux pour l,enregistrement et le playback. Et son usage est universel dans les studio pro.

You must be able to understand the general superiority of PT, but also its imperfections, so its possibilities for advancement. Simple.
did this translate correctly "Not the sound. Pt is better for recording and playback. And its use is universal in pro studios"

if this is correct, then you use it because you Have To, not because you Want to !!! i understand ..

i use which ever program works for which ever project i am working on .. music, post, etc .. have Cubase Pro 8, Studio One Artist, Reaper, LOgic 9, but have to use Pro Tools for most work, the others for some or just for a feature or two .. can be frustrating to not be able to do it all in one program .. and yes, PT feels better for Audio, and tolerable for Midi ..

cheers and thank you john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-23-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliderman View Post

1. Name the keys as to which drum they are! Even just a text entry box on the key itself would be so helpful.

2. Reorder the midi notes so that my drum kit (notes) are all grouped together.
Yes!