Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2017, 08:14 AM

Default upgrade from HDX to HDX2 issue: can't open old sessions

Hi

I have just upgraded from HDX (1 card) to a HDX2 (2 card system). All is running as normal when I open a new session, the I/O's are all there and system runs smoothly. A problem occurs when I want to open a session I was working on before this weeks upgrade. The session opens and then I get the spinning wheel of death. The application becomes unresponsive and I can't control anything anymore. I then have to force quit and re-open pro tools. If I make a new session and import the old session, in some cases the new session will work, in other cases I still get the spinning wheel of death. If I open with all plugins disabled it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I have no idea why the old sessions are no longer opening properly under the new configuration. Has anyone got any ideas for me? My previous session should just open shouldn't they?
system set up:
PT 11.3
HDX2
Mac Pro 64 ram
Mac OS X Yosemite
Symphony i/o x3 and avid hd i/o
Old 09-29-2017, 11:40 AM

Default upgrade from HDX to HDX2 issue: can't open old sessions

Curious, have you run DigiTest just to verify that hardware is behaving correctly as configured? Not sure if DigiTest works with a Symphoney attached.

I would think it should work if hardware is working.

That being said back around 11.3.2 I had a lot issues with sessions crashing and hanging pro tools. Have you tried removing all plugins or disabling at startup?

BTW my issues were on a PC.

Not saying these things will make a difference. Maybe help split the dictionary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-29-2017, 11:45 AM

Default Re: upgrade from HDX to HDX2 issue: can't open old sessions

Try trashing preferences and databases as something could have creeped in there.

Also what pcie seats do you use for the second hdx card?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-30-2017, 03:45 AM

Default Re: upgrade from HDX to HDX2 issue: can't open old sessions

Sadly you are going to find a lot of weird anomalies settling into hdx2 land from making sessions on a hdx1 setup... I had the same thing for awhile but found the following helps... if you are switching between 96, 88.2 OR 44.1 48k sessions you need to set playback engine to 44.1 (for 441 / 48) and 96 for the others.. For some reason pro tools won't simply adjust automatically with two cards without doing some very strange random things on different sessions... with one card this anomaly doesn't happen you can freely switch different sample rate sessions but if on a hdx 2 it will be problematic if you don't change it every time you are switching sample rate groups.. also if you are having sessions that are problematic and cannot be opened at all then open them using built in audio (that will most likely open easily), copy session including audio files etc... reopen pro tools with hdx set as playback engine and import session data from the newly created session you made. .. all those anomalies go away once you are on hdx3 systems.. its' only the 2 card config which is more problematic and needs this type of muckaround...also ensure you have the cards in the first two available slots after the video card, good luck!