Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 AM

Default Installing Pro Tools 10 Updates

I notice with every update AVID recommends completely uninstalling previous version and doing clean install. However, doesn't doing this mean I have to re-install ALL of my plugins each time?

Does anyone know for sure or can AVID weigh in on the potential risks of just updating w/o doing clean install?

i.e. Pro Tools 10 HDX version 10.3.4 updating to 10.3.5

Would save so much time if I didn't have to do clean install each time I want to do small updates and keep system stable, but I'm nervous about installing updates on top of previous versions at the moment. Thanks in advance for helping put my worries to rest!

[Legacy] Mobile: MBP Retina 2.6 HGz Intel Core i7 w 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 running macOS Catalina (10.15.7) w/ Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.12

[Legacy System] Studio: Mac Pro 2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM running OS X 10.8.5 using Pro Tools v10.3.9 & v11.3.2 HDX w/ AVID HD I/O
Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Installing Pro Tools 10 Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman6 View Post
I notice with every update AVID recommends completely uninstalling previous version and doing clean install. However, doesn't doing this mean I have to re-install ALL of my plugins each time?

Does anyone know for sure or can AVID weigh in on the potential risks of just updating w/o doing clean install?

i.e. Pro Tools 10 HDX version 10.3.4 updating to 10.3.5

Would save so much time if I didn't have to do clean install each time I want to do small updates and keep system stable, but I'm nervous about installing updates on top of previous versions at the moment. Thanks in advance for helping put my worries to rest!
In most cases the update uninstalls the HD drivers along with the necessary Pro Tools files. There is a readme pdf you should always look at before you update to ensure compatibility with your system. Personally I prefer a clean uninstall/reinstall of the updates to ensure I have everything working properly, because weird things happen when you don't uninstall things properly. You do not need to reinstall all of your plugins, as I said earlier the updater just removes necessary files and reinstalls the updates