Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2010, 08:52 AM

Default Master Faders in CPTK vs VCAs

I'm pre-dubbing using the CPTK. Just wondering what the pros and cons of using a master fader in place of a VCA within CPTK. I am getting frustrated with mouse jockeying volume changes within groups or mixing individual tracks 8 faders at a time. Usually at this point I would start attaching VCAs on my HD system. My thought process originally was to premix until I got to the dub stage and then attach VCA's. If I can create master faders and do essentially the same thing per buss than that would work as well. I realize a downside is not being able to coalesce automation, however maybe the solution is just to follow the master faders all the way through the mix. Is there any sonic difference. I remember years ago there was talk about the master faders and sum buss issues....