Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 AM

Default Re: which pitch correction software is best?

I'm presently playing around with melodyne editor to see how it handles polyphony. Fed it a full wind orchestra with drums that didn't play so well on their recording ( not totally in tune) and bam. a hella better (I'm not setting the pitch correction nor the pitch drift to 100% even though when I tried it at 100% it sounded good). We're talking of flutes, piccolos, tubas, euphoniums, trombones, sax altos, tenors and baritones, clarinets altos and baritones, trumpets, french horns for a total of 23 players.

//edit I should have mentioned that I've tried track by track, which is fine but long, and also tried stemming down all the tracks but the room tracks, then I corrected the stem down, then the room track and then passed it through a small stage reverb and concert hall reverb from space. The concert happened in a very dead room so it needed it and this was really the best result I got from the tests I've done. Stemming down even with the room tracks did a very good job too, but since I didn't want to sent the stage reverb and concert hall reverb to the room track, I had to do both separately.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 AM

The newer version of Melodyne do sound better by far than the early ones. While I agree that Autotune is faster, the result with Melodyne, if its done right, is that its completely invisible to all except a trained ear, and if you know how it sounded before. Autotune is more easily spotted.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-22-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Waves Tune has been my "go-to" for years. This is the Waves plug-in I am really missing in PT11 while waiting for AAX.
Yeah right off the bat I prefer waves tune - it's just so much simpler for me to get my head around and results out (and for God sakes who doesn't need tuning...)

I've had melo for years but I find it laborious and not exactly what I want out of it -
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:57 PM

Like Albee said, Used correctly, you'll never know Melodyne is there. I use studio for everything now, though I have a couple of others I use occasionaly.

Melo is great for reducing things like vibrato and formants and such when needed.. A lot of time all that needs to be adjusted is just the pitch center, resulting in a nice, pleasing, and not 'tuned' performance.. natural. It's not the same as tuning to pitch... and it allows you to retain all of the nuance and character of the performer.

Combined with Serato PnT Pro and Revoice PRo, it's a killer suite for massaging things into a pleasing result.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:59 PM

Good point on Formant adjustment. I was just asked to pitch a session up 3 steps(from E to G). The music sounded fine(thanks to Serato P'nT), but the BGV tracks did not(paging Alvin......). I ran the re-pitched BGV tracks thru Melodyne and dragged the formant down between 2 and 3 steps(on the Melodyne grid) and the vocals then sounded correct(a singer's voice I know very well). This saved the client paying to re-track 8 tracks of BGV. Autotune could not do this(or I don't know HOW to make it happen).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Good point on Formant adjustment. I was just asked to pitch a session up 3 steps(from E to G). The music sounded fine(thanks to Serato P'nT), but the BGV tracks did not(paging Alvin......). I ran the re-pitched BGV tracks thru Melodyne and dragged the formant down between 2 and 3 steps(on the Melodyne grid) and the vocals then sounded correct(a singer's voice I know very well). This saved the client paying to re-track 8 tracks of BGV. Autotune could not do this(or I don't know HOW to make it happen).
'zackly...
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I have never taken the time to learn melodyne, though I have wanted to. I started using auto tune in 2001 and have got efficient and extremely comfortable with it and have never looked back. Graphic mode is quite powerful. Since getting into Revoice, it has changed my perspective and how I think about tuning differently. I need to get motivated and jump into melodyne and check it out to.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 PM

Revoice looks like it rocks

Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Revoice looks like it rocks
It does.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
It does.
I had found somebody wanting to sell me their vocal align pro v4 before this whole ilok fiasco started