Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 01-31-2012, 04:45 PM

Default Issue Opening Session from PC (Windows 7) to MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.8 (Protools LE)

Hey everybody. I have always used a PC but recently my motherboard crashed and left me looking for a new computer. I finally decided to make the switch and go with an Apple but am experiencing some compatibility issues with the files off my old PCs hard drive (Windows 7). I am using Protools LE and transferred all my old files to an external hard drive formatted to FAT32 then onto my new Macbook Pro. When I go to open my files through Protools they are grayed out (un-selectable). If I attempt to open a session through the the Finder it asks me to choose a program to open the file. When I click Protools LE it says "this is not a valid protools file". Can anyone offer any advise or things I can try out? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Issue Opening Session from PC (Windows 7) to MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.8 (Protools LE

I don't know all the ins and outs of this but the problem may lie in the FAT32 drive. We had a drive at the studio that was formatted FAT32 screw up an entire album because it trashed all the mac file headers. But that was in the OS9 days. I thought that the newer file formats didn't have the same resource fork issues as the old mac files. I got myself one of these: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...ble-hard-drive I use it for transfering between mac and PC. You could also try burning DVDs of your files to see if that works.

You'll also want to have an external hard drive to put your sessions on. Using the system drive has always been a no-no.

-AJ