Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-03-2006, 02:32 PM

Default Playback or Buffer Problems - What is it?

Hello everyone. Need Help. I had this same problem for the past year and it's getting to the point that I may need to get rid of my protools rig. Anyways, I working with a 002R. As you can see at the bottome is my computer setup. It's based on the Allenstein of early 2005. Anyways, the issue I have and from what I've been reading has to do with Playback and Buffering. When I try to playback it plays for maybe like 5 or 10 seconds before I get this highpitch whine. Sometimes it gives the errors popup and sometimes it doesn't. But this is so frustrating as you can imangine as I'm not even working with a whole lot of tracks on these playback. Like in the neighborhood of 4 to 6 tracks. I have done clean installs of XP. I've done the Standard PC install. I've done all the tweaks and troubleshooting I could find. I was previously using a IDE controller card so I could have my audio drive but now I'm using a firewire drive hoping this would be the fix. So far no dice. This has happened for 6.7, 6.9 and now 7.0. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appricated as I can not do any work and I'm considering cutting my loss and going with other software but I really don't want to. The only thing I can think of is maybe it's my motherboard or maybe it has something to do the IRQ's but so far I couldn't find anything that could help me. So please, please any help I would appriciate it.

SiSoftware Sandra

System
Host Name : DAW
User : PROTOOLS
Domain : WORKGROUP

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Speed : 2.00GHz
Model Number : 3200 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR3000 (estimated)
Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Internal Data Cache : 64kB Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way set, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set, 64 byte line size

Mainboard
Bus(es) : AGP PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
MP Support : 1 Processor(s)
MP APIC : Yes
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8V-E DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1002
System : System manufacturer System name
Mainboard : ASUSTek Computer INC. A8V-E DELUXE
Total Memory : 1023MB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : ASUSTeK Computer Inc K8T890 CPU to PCI Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1000MHz (2000MHz data rate)

Chipset 2
Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1000MHz (2000MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 200MHz (400MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : ViewSonic VX715
Adapter : RADEON X700 PRO
Adapter : RADEON X700 PRO Secondary

Physical Storage Devices
Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
Hard Disk : Maxtor 6B160P0 (153GB)
Hard Disk : ST380011A (75GB)
Hard Disk : Prolific PL3507 Combo Device (1394 ATAPI_Rev 1.00) IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device
CD-ROM/DVD : ATAPI DVD DD 2X16X4X16 (CD 40X Rd, 40X Wr) (DVD 5X Rd, 5X Wr)

Logical Storage Devices
1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
Hard Disk (C:) : 12GB (6.4GB, 54% Free Space) (NTFS)
Hard Disk (D:) : 24GB (24GB, 100% Free Space) (NTFS)
Hard Disk (E:) : 38GB (8.4GB, 22% Free Space) (NTFS)
CD-ROM/DVD (F:) : N/A
New volume (G:) : 78GB (77GB, 98% Free Space) (NTFS)
Hard Disk (H:) : 75GB (74GB, 100% Free Space) (NTFS)
Protools1 (I:) : 30GB (19GB, 63% Free Space) (NTFS)
Plado (J:) : 30GB (30GB, 100% Free Space) (NTFS)
60 (K:) : 67GB (52GB, 77% Free Space) (NTFS)

Peripherals
Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 1 COM / 1 LPT
USB Controller/Hub : NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Keyboard : HID Keyboard Device
Keyboard : HID Keyboard Device
Keyboard : PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
Mouse : HID-compliant mouse
Mouse : HID-compliant mouse
Mouse : Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
Human Interface : HID-compliant device
Human Interface : HID-compliant consumer control device
Human Interface : HID-compliant consumer control device
Human Interface : HID-compliant device
Human Interface : USB Human Interface Device

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Device : Standard Game Port

Power Management
AC Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

Network Services
Network Drivers Enabled : No
Old 03-03-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Playback or Buffer Problems - What is it?

Hey Ainzboogie,

Sounds pretty frustrating. Based on what you've said I'd be surprised (though that wouldn't be anything new) if it's a problem with the PC. I also doubt that it would be a software problem since it's followed you through several software revisions. One other possibilty is that the 002R has a problem. Do you have another machine you could try it with or maybe a friend that would be willing to set it up on his?

In any case a little more info would be helpful.

1. Does it happen with every session or just some sessions?

2. If only some sessions then does it always happen with the same sessions or is it more random in nature?

3. You said it's been happening for the past year. Has it been happening from the beginning or did it start sometime after the initial install?

4. You seemed to indicate that either the problem is getting worse or that your tolerance for it is getting less. Which one? Both?

Regards,

Lapick
Old 03-03-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Hey Ainzboogie,

Sounds pretty frustrating. Based on what you've said I'd be surprised (though that wouldn't be anything new) if it's a problem with the PC. I also doubt that it would be a software problem since it's followed you through several software revisions. One other possibilty is that the 002R has a problem. Do you have another machine you could try it with or maybe a friend that would be willing to set it up on his?
I have friends that have the MBox but i don't know of anyone that has an 002R. I wish, or I would see if it's the machine.

In any case a little more info would be helpful.

1. Does it happen with every session or just some sessions?
It's been happening every session since I've upgrade to 7. Before hand it was little bit more stable but not by much. Ironicly recording was a problem unless overdubbing was needed.

2. If only some sessions then does it always happen with the same sessions or is it more random in nature?

3. You said it's been happening for the past year. Has it been happening from the beginning or did it start sometime after the initial install?
It's been happening since the very beginning. Only really now I have I decided to tackled this issue.

4. You seemed to indicate that either the problem is getting worse or that your tolerance for it is getting less. Which one? Both?
It's both. Mainly because I've invested so much time and money into this set up and it's not working the way it should be. I really dig Protools and would hate to have to get rid of my rig.

Regards,

Lapick
Thanks for getting back at me on this Lapick. I'm still hoping for people to chime in. I'm willing to almost try anything for my rig to be stable.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:01 PM

This may be a stretch but...since your machine SHOULD run circles around mine(which runs 32+ tracks all day long) there must be some explanation. This high-pitched whine; does it freeze your system? If your computer is plugged into the wall or a cheap power strip/conditioner, maybe you have dirty AC or a power supply that is too small. My system locked up twice with a loud digital noise after doing lots of punchins. Once I added an APC 800va battery backup, the problem never came back(this was a year ago). FWIW, I get slightly better performance when recording to an internal audio drive vs. a firewire drive. I also prefer to have my system drive AND audio drive on the primary IDE buss(same cable-system drive is MASTER). I keep my CD and DVD burners on the secondary buss. Like I said, my rig runs 32+4 to 6 stereo aux tracks and yours should beat it so there must be something you have overlooked. Is this machine on the internet? If so, disconnect>disable the network port>run a virus scan, SpyBot and Ad-aware. Then delete those programs and see what happens. Set your DAE to default. Your buffer should be at 1024 for mixing. Don't give up yet.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-03-2006, 08:20 PM

I'm sure someone else will get back to you if they see a red flag in your configuration or have some other insight. I've been lurking here for some time and I'm honestly impressed by the knowledge and experience of some of these folks, not to mention their willingness to help where possible. The observation that it got worse with the 7.0 upgrade might indicate a problem with the PC after all. PTLE7 does do things a little differently and does stress the system in different ways.

In the mean time maybe one of your friends would be willing to temporarily setup your 002R on their system to see if the problem follows the 002R. If the problem still exists you know it's something with the 002R. You could also try setting up one of their MBoxes on your machine. It might even be valuable to just try loading one of your sessions into one of your friends rigs or one of theirs into your system. From a troubleshooting perspective anything that will rule out potential causes would be valuable.

I still suspect the 002R may be the problem. Considering that your PC seems like it should be perfectly capable of handling the track count that you described and the fact that it was happening from the beginning. One other possibilty would be your Firewire interface. Considering what you already have invested in the setup it might be worthwhile trying a different card.

One other question, could what you're hearing be classified as sounding like digital interference/distortion or more like analog feedback of some kind or niether in particular?
Old 03-03-2006, 08:26 PM

See, someone else chimed in while I was typing. Wha' did I tell ya. Good sugestion about the AC power albee. The root of many evils to be sure!
Old 03-03-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
This may be a stretch but...since your machine SHOULD run circles around mine(which runs 32+ tracks all day long) there must be some explanation. This high-pitched whine; does it freeze your system? If your computer is plugged into the wall or a cheap power strip/conditioner, maybe you have dirty AC or a power supply that is too small. My system locked up twice with a loud digital noise after doing lots of punchins. Once I added an APC 800va battery backup, the problem never came back(this was a year ago). FWIW, I get slightly better performance when recording to an internal audio drive vs. a firewire drive. I also prefer to have my system drive AND audio drive on the primary IDE buss(same cable-system drive is MASTER). I keep my CD and DVD burners on the secondary buss. Like I said, my rig runs 32+4 to 6 stereo aux tracks and yours should beat it so there must be something you have overlooked. Is this machine on the internet? If so, disconnect>disable the network port>run a virus scan, SpyBot and Ad-aware. Then delete those programs and see what happens. Set your DAE to default. Your buffer should be at 1024 for mixing. Don't give up yet.
Hi Albee1952, Right now my 002R is pluged into a Furman Power Condition Unit, Prior to that I had it pluged into a APC Surge Protector. Both give me the same problem. As far as the IDE drive to Firewire Drive I've done both. I had my sytem drive with the os and program files and then I had two other drives for Protools audio only. I was using a Maxtor IDE controller card for them as I read somewhere that i should keep the system drive on the main IDE line and CD/DVD drives on the secondary IDE line. Then when I did a clean install via standard PC I had a drive problem with the Maxtor IDE controller. So I went to the store and got another. Still had the same problem. Then I went and got the firewire drive thinking that might solve my problem. No dice again. So then I started thinking about my firewire card which I thouht was an approved one from Digi but I may have not bought the right one so again I went back to the store and bought an approved one and still the same issues. I think Lapick may have a point and it might be my 002R (i hope to god it not) because as both of you say I shouldn't have any problems or at least any problems running the amount of tracks I'm running. I'm seriously thinking about maybe backtracking and installing 6.4 as I've never used that verion of the o.s. and my friend who has a protools mbox set up has not ever upgraded past 6.4 and he doesn't seem to have any problems with his rig. It just sucks on my part cuz i just spent $75 for a upgrade that is at this point useless for me. Anyways, so for the long winded grip. So do you think maybe it's the Furman Power Conditioner I'm using. Anyways, thanks Albee1952 and Lapick for your insight as I do appricate it.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Albee1952, Right now my 002R is pluged into a Furman Power Condition Unit, Prior to that I had it pluged into a APC Surge Protector. Both give me the same problem. As far as the IDE drive to Firewire Drive I've done both. I had my sytem drive with the os and program files and then I had two other drives for Protools audio only. I was using a Maxtor IDE controller card for them as I read somewhere that i should keep the system drive on the main IDE line and CD/DVD drives on the secondary IDE line. Then when I did a clean install via standard PC I had a drive problem with the Maxtor IDE controller. So I went to the store and got another. Still had the same problem. Then I went and got the firewire drive thinking that might solve my problem. No dice again. So then I started thinking about my firewire card which I thouht was an approved one from Digi but I may have not bought the right one so again I went back to the store and bought an approved one and still the same issues. I think Lapick may have a point and it might be my 002R (i hope to god it not) because as both of you say I shouldn't have any problems or at least any problems running the amount of tracks I'm running. I'm seriously thinking about maybe backtracking and installing 6.4 as I've never used that verion of the o.s. and my friend who has a protools mbox set up has not ever upgraded past 6.4 and he doesn't seem to have any problems with his rig. It just sucks on my part cuz i just spent $75 for a upgrade that is at this point useless for me. Anyways, so for the long winded grip. So do you think maybe it's the Furman Power Conditioner I'm using. Anyways, thanks Albee1952 and Lapick for your insight as I do appricate it.
bumping this for the day crowd. hope anybody will have some other suggestions.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:09 PM

are you running plugins? ive experienced this problem a couple times when running my waves bundle plugins. particularly the q10 eq. once you find which plugin is causing the noise (by bypassing, and un-bypassing), remove it from the session. if you find out that it is a plugin causing your problem, uninstall them, and then reinstall. hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
are you running plugins? ive experienced this problem a couple times when running my waves bundle plugins. particularly the q10 eq. once you find which plugin is causing the noise (by bypassing, and un-bypassing), remove it from the session. if you find out that it is a plugin causing your problem, uninstall them, and then reinstall. hope this helps.
i'm not running any plugins during the sessions. do you think if i just uninstall them that it would make a difference?