Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 06-28-2019, 02:19 AM

Default Mbox Pro 3rd Gen with MacBook Pro Mid 2015 and Mojave - MBoxPro App not seeing device

Hi all,

I hope somebody can help. Since upgrading to Mojave (off the back of the 2019.5 release) I cannot, for the life of me, get the MBox Pro application to see my Mbox Pro 3rd Gen.
History - All was working fine on High Sierra. Nothing with regards to hardware has changed.

Changes - Update to Mojave 10.14.4, latest MOBX Pro Driver, the .6 release.

Further testing / elimination / etc.
- Same workflow works 100% on Mac Pro Early 2013, which was also upgrade from 10.13.3 and latest drivers, etc. Exactly the same workflow (i had all the same as the Mac Pro's I support at the university I am a technician at so that there's parity with testing)
- I installed a clean install of Mojave 10.14.4 onto a USB 3.0 hard drive, then installed the MBOX Pro drivers, so nothing else on the build, except Mojave and MBox. With this mounted on my Macbook Pro Mid 2015, still doesn't see the MBox Pro 3 in the MBox Pro app.

Looking at the SYSTEM REPORT for my Macbook Pro, the MBox Pro 3 is listed in the Firewire section as a connected device... So....

I opened a new, spare MBox Pro that we had in a box. Connected it to my Macbook Pro. Guess what... A notification came up saying that the MBox needed its firmware updated, please wait. As we'd expect from an older MBox Pro 3, as the driver installed on the Macbook should and did notice that the firmware was not up to date. after the update, did the Mbox Pro app see the devicer? "Hardware Not Connected", no it did not. Yet it is listed in the System Report. This MBox also works on any of the Mac Pro 2013 computers that I updated (using all of the same installers).

My Macbook Mid 2016, Retina i7, is supported according to Avid KB. I raised this with tech support and they said I need to "buy a cone time support case". Why? I don't need support, I'm highlighting a fault in their driver, surely??????

Does anybody have a similar set up and the same results, or perhaps things worked for them?

Thank you in advance for any further suggestions for testing.

Rich

p.s. I've been using Pro Tools since version 3, am a Pro Tools 200 Level ACI, and know my way around a Mac, so if you have any in depth solutions, please don't hesitate, happy to try anything further. (hopefully it's just something silly and I've forgotten a simple button push!!!!)

Cheers
Old 06-28-2019, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Mbox Pro 3rd Gen with MacBook Pro Mid 2015 and Mojave - MBoxPro App not seeing de

I've added a screen shot of the Macbook Pro with all relevant windows open to help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2019-06-28 at 10.00.03.jpg (48.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-03-2019, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Mbox Pro 3rd Gen with MacBook Pro Mid 2015 and Mojave - MBoxPro App not seeing de

Grrrrr. I give up! Just tried a fresh install of Mojave on a USB3.0 drive (again) with only the driver installed and it is now seen by the MBox Pro Preference app.

I'm now thinking that it's a conflict between the HD Driver and Mbox Pro software.

Alas, can't find out how to uninstall the HD Driver as it installs something on the PreBoot partition, so it's not just a case of removing DigiDal.kext from the hard drive as mentioned in other areas of the DUC

Any ideas, before I find it on Google. I'll post here if i find it. Don't all shout at once now!!!!
Old 07-10-2019, 08:06 PM

I'm having this exact same problem. Same Mac.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:12 PM

With Mojave you need to :

Close the app you're using to record audio.
On your Mac, choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click Privacy.

Click Microphone.
Select the checkbox next to an app to allow it to access the built-in microphone on you Mac, an external USB mic, or the inputs on an external audio interface.

See if that helps anything!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-11-2019, 04:42 PM

@Southsidemusic None of that worked (Pro Tools & PRS Archon were already there)

@richardbutler I made it work somehow like this: I installed High Sierra on a USB SSD drive, booted from there, and installed the Mbox 3 drivers (I did this to make sure the Mbox had the 1.0.4 firmware)... restarted, turned the Mbox on... then reboot to Mojave... and then the Mbox appears as "Hardware connected"...

Last edited by AceZero; 07-11-2019 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Correct image link
Old 07-12-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceZero View Post
@Southsidemusic None of that worked (Pro Tools & PRS Archon were already there)

@richardbutler I made it work somehow like this: I installed High Sierra on a USB SSD drive, booted from there, and installed the Mbox 3 drivers (I did this to make sure the Mbox had the 1.0.4 firmware)... restarted, turned the Mbox on... then reboot to Mojave... and then the Mbox appears as "Hardware connected"...
@Southsidemusic Also didn't work for me, most annoying. Thank you for the information, hope that helps for others.

@AceZero glad you got it working. I now have it working, but I went the long way round. I backed up my mac then went for formatting my Mac and a fresh install of Mojave. It was about time I cleaned up my mac anyway, so have treated it a spring cleaning!!! All up and running now, except I need to power on the MBOX Pro after booting, not before, otherwise it's not seen. A small thing and it'll do for now.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:37 AM

@RichardButler - I've just done a clean install of Mojave to an external USB drive, but the Mbox 3 still isn't won't connect

Do you have any idea why it worked for you this time, when installing Mojave to a USB drive did not?
Old 04-11-2020, 08:14 AM

Success! Finally.

I reinstalled Mojave on an external SSD (again) and installed Pro Tools and the Mbox 3 Pro drivers after starting up from this Mojave install.

The two things I did differently this time...

When I installed ProTools I did not install the accompanying HD Driver (as I had done on my previous attempts)

When I initially installed the Mbox driver, the Mbox was not connected to the MacBook, and after physically connecting it it still was not showing up in the Mbox app or in ProTools.

The read me that came with the initial releases of the driver specifically said to install the driver before connecting the Mbox, but I thought I would give the reverse a try...

So I reinstalled the driver while the Mbox was connected, and BINGO!

All working fine now.

I tried this again with the Mojave disk I had previously made, which I had installed the HD drivers on, and this still didn't work, even if I uninstall the HD driver.

So, for my system at least, the HD drivers must not be installed, and the Mbox driver must be installed with the Mbox already physically connected. Hope this helps some of you out.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:50 PM

I'm having problems AGAIN...

I ended up with a multi-boot system (with Windows 10, Ubuntu and macOS High Sierra on a USB SSD)...

The Mbox 3 Pro seems working at my Windows boot, but it doesn't work on my newer High Sierra install...

I'm linking this other thread - maybe this is related:https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?...50#post2489850