Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-21-2019, 08:38 AM

Default Pro Tools 2018.12 CPU Spikes

All,
It's been a long time since I have posted here, but I wanted to see if anyone has tried this. Like a lot of people, I am getting CPU spikes for no apparent reason. I tried everything, new CPU, new ram, etc - basically a new computer. Being a Pro Tools guy since 2000, I have always been Windows - it's what I know. So I have this whopper computer that I have built. A Ryzen 2700x, 64gb DDR4 3400 ram, M.2 and all SSDs. It is fast.... when it works. The CPU Spikes were almost a show stopper and for no apparent reason. I could have 1 audio track and I would get them. NO IDEA WHY??? Plugs were up to date and valid, everything was a clean, new install. So I got to thinking about What if there is a plug that is bad?" I do some beta testing for a few of the bigger companies out there, maybe that was it?

So I took to the Windows backend and started moving plugs to the unused folder. Well for some reason last night I noticed that the Windows (x86) folder where I went first had a bunch of plugs that were identical to the normal Windows folder where the plugs sit. I decided to move all the (x86) ones out. Reminder, these would be all 32 bit plugs, but I installed ONLY the 64 bit installers.... how are they even in there?

So I went and removed all the 64bit plugs and loaded my medium sized session - 1% CPU usage.... incredible. I started moving back just the 64 bit plugs by order of the Alphabet to test. Figured I could narrow it down. Well, after getting everything back in, My session CPU usage went up to about 34% with the plugs that I had loaded up. These were Wave CLAMixHub, a few Fab Filter things and some other usual suspects. The thing that I noticed was that during a heavy drum edit session, saves, plugin moved elastic audio, etc I was not getting the 100% CPU spikes that I would normally from the same session.

The big question. Could having remnant 32 bit plugs (again not sure how they got in there to begin with) be somehow causing CPU processing issues with the 64 bit ones that Pro Tools is looking at?

Curious and maybe I overlooked something in the "fine print" about this, but honestly it was the best session I have had in a few months where I was not bombarded with 9073, 9171, etc errors every 10 mins.

Wanted to put it out there. Too busy for all of this madness, but this was a good start and seemed to really help things.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 03-21-2019, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2018.12 CPU Spikes

I was about to reply saying I was just talking to a buddy of mine on the phone this morning about this exact issue...

Oh hi Chris.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:28 AM

hahahaha Hey Mike!

ya I have been on this group for a long time but do not get on here much.

Seemed like a legit thing to post on though.

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 AM

For me and others here on the forum, a lot of it is graphic related. As soon as I close the mix and edit window completely, and watch the ProTools CPU meter, it goes away and you can literally watch the cpu get stable and stop the errors. I can't wait for this to go away.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:30 PM

Hi,
I cannot say that removing the plugins from the x86 folder did resolve the 9171 issues. :-(

We're using a Intel XEON W-2145 CPU with 32 GB EEC RAM, NVIDIA Quadro P2000 graphics card, ASUS C422 PRO/SE mainboard and NVMe drives. Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.12 and HDX. Win 10 1803.
Basically almost what Avid recommends with the HP Z4 G4 workstation.

I cannot recommend this configuration. It seems like HDX or Pro Tools Software does not like this combination
Let's hope for updated Pro Tools code in 2019.3 or 2019.4, whatever it will be.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:55 PM

I was running a small session the other night. Just an acoustic and a vocal.

I had like 3 tracks for the acoustic (DI and 2 mics) and 6 or 7 for the vocal (each part of the song; verse, chorus, bridge, outro)

So I had the acoustics through an AUX sub and the Vocals through an AUX sub, those 2 subs to another AUX sub for processing - limiter, etc.

Sends on tracks direct to output for monitoring.

So started tracking with all plugins disabled for latency and I was getting 100% CPU spikes that would cause a pop in the recording process.

I restarted, rebooted - nothing made them go away.

I finally disabled all tracks and just went out the main output (no more AUX routing) and CPU spikes went away for good.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:17 PM

Interesting guys. I am still testing, but a simple session that I was doing heavy drum edits (Elastic audio, etc) was giving me terrible spikes and almost like the clock was lost pretty much stopped once I moved everything out of that folder.

I will also add that I did a FabFilter update as well. Always scares me with the visual plugs that have real time analysis. Not saying that was a culprit either.

As for video cards. I went back to a NVidia 730 card with no change. This again was prior to moving the 32 bit stuff out. I even went and bought a Radeon 590 card to test and that changed nothing. Took it back and resorted back to the NVidia 1070 card. Seems solid and so on. I do see a small fluctuation when I swap back and forth, but not like it used to do.

I did notice that running a plug on a AUX hit the CPU a tad more than the normal track. I am running HDX so cannot remember if that is a thing or not, but still seems lame.

The only time it really spiked was when I had Chrome up running a YouTube video and the session was in playback. I let it sit, then swapped windows and I noticed it spike to 100% but the playback seemed fine once I started and stopped.

I too hope that the 2019.x whatever that comes out will address this. Worst performing version I have been on in ages

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 03-23-2019, 03:23 PM

I do a bit of system dancing every month or so and again especially with the bigger Windows version updates in October and April. Basically some combination of the following:

Scan for and Install latest Windows Update & Security patches
run the Trasher application and force a total re-scan
Install latest nVidia update
re-install interface drivers and plugins. (UAD system)

Usually the first one or two will fix it. I do want to try your trick first next time, though.

On the increased "CPU" usage scenario, I get it worst when I start getting too clever with my template. Especially if I try to put in a temporary test mastering aux.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
I do a bit of system dancing every month or so and again especially with the bigger Windows version updates in October and April. Basically some combination of the following:

Scan for and Install latest Windows Update & Security patches
run the Trasher application and force a total re-scan
Install latest nVidia update
re-install interface drivers and plugins. (UAD system)

Usually the first one or two will fix it. I do want to try your trick first next time, though.

On the increased "CPU" usage scenario, I get it worst when I start getting too clever with my template. Especially if I try to put in a temporary test mastering aux.
Ya I am still amazed at watching some of the Mix With The Masters videos and they have 800,000 plugs loaded without a hiccup. I have a machine that is a billion times faster than anything I have ever built and something stupid spikes it. Just seems lame.

I will be testing again tonight and will let you guys know. The 32 bit thing seems odd as I made sure I was using 64 bit installers.

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 03-25-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
Ya I am still amazed at watching some of the Mix With The Masters videos and they have 800,000 plugs loaded without a hiccup. I have a machine that is a billion times faster than anything I have ever built and something stupid spikes it. Just seems lame.

I will be testing again tonight and will let you guys know. The 32 bit thing seems odd as I made sure I was using 64 bit installers.
That would mean that (a) PT scans the 32-bit folder, or (b)a particular plugin's security code is checking the 32-bit folder as well and not liking something?