How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2017, 12:36 PM

Default Transferring sessions between 2 DAWs

Hi guys,

Question about working with the same session files back and forth on 2 different rigs:

I have 2 separate DAWs, one in my apartment, and one in my studio. They both run PT 12.5 and have the exact same plug-ins and VSTs on them.

The studio rig uses a MOTU 828 mkiii as audio interface. The apartment rig uses an Apogee Duet.

I’d like to be able to start a session using the first DAW, and make tweaks to it on the other DAW easily.

The issue I’m running into is having to remap the I/o setup every time I switch back and forth, according to each audio interface. Because otherwise the I/o’s are not matched. So if I start a session using the MOTU & open it on the Apogee rig, I have to manually change the I/o of the session from MOTU settings, to Apogee settings.

Is there a better way? Faster, easier? Aside from say, selling the Apogee and buying another MOTU mkiii so both rigs’ audio interfaces match? Is there a function in PT12.5 that automatically adjusts the I/o settings from one rig to another?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2017, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Transferring sessions between 2 DAWs

This will seem clunky, but it does work. Pick one system to be the "master" and take a screen shot of the IO setup. Now open PT on the "slave" system and rename all the IO to match that of the "master" system. I did this with 2 rigs, 1 was HD/Native and the other ran an Mbox 2 PRO and it worked fairly decent(all the extra paths from the big rig were grey'd out on the small rig and headphone paths were made inactive. But sessions went back&forth with less fussing). IOW, the 2 mic inputs on the Mbox rig were renamed ISA-1 and ISA-2(to match the big rig's first 2 inputs) and the main L&R outputs on both rigs were named Main Out L/R. There will likely be a period of hassle until everything going back&forth has been updated. Food for thought

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-26-2017, 01:30 PM

Another thing you can do is to route everything to an aux ahead of the master, then from that aux to the master. The aux bus is defined in the session and the only physical output is the master (or additional headphone outputs). Then you can name your master outs the same across all interfaces. The aux ahead of the master also takes care of issues with the plugs being processed post fader on the master.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 11-27-2017, 08:57 AM

Can you not simply click "restore from session" and clean that up, then save it as your default i/o on both rigs?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 12-05-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Can you not simply click "restore from session" and clean that up, then save it as your default i/o on both rigs?

Hi Rich,

I would like to try what you mention. I’m not familiar with the process however. How specifically would I do this? And what do you mean by ‘clean it up’ and save as default rig?

Sounds like an easy enough process but if you could elaborate I’d really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk