Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2003, 05:27 AM

Default Digi are you stopping your hardware exchange prog?

Digidesign,
Based on your latest HD>Accel upgrade program you state:

"Remember that HD Process-to-HD Accel exchanges end December 20, 2003, and no other programs of its kind will be subsequently offered"

I would just like a clear answer from you to protect the tens of thousands of dollars I have invested in your hardware and propriety plug-ins last year.

Are you planning to stop your hardware exchange program in 2004?

Your statement leads your clients to believe this. And at least your most recent HD Clients are lead to believe that there will no longer be harware upgrade opportunities for them in the future.

People who invest in your high end systems do so not only because of your excellent products, but also (considering the high cost) because of your long established hardware exchange program. I started with your session8 many years ago, went to PTlll and now upgraded to HD3 last year.

It is one thing that your Accel upgrade policy has devalued my HD system faster than any of your previous TDM systems (this is your perogative, as you are of course not obliged to offer such a program at all), but to "vaguely" imply you will be ending your exchange program as a part of marketing tactics is not OK in my opinion.

Many TDM users here are studio owners, who are constantly concerned with the upkeep of their investements, we deserve a clearer answer from you, and do not merit this vague "fear" of getting the rug pulled out from underneath their feet. I am sure many feel the same way here. And above all, I am certain you do not intend your faithful customers to feel this way.

So please clarify to me if:

"no other programs of its kind will be subsequently offered"

really means:
after Dec 20th, the Hardware Exchange Link will be taken out of the support section of the digidesign website.
You know, the page that starts with

"Our commitment to upgradability provides one of the truly unique benefits of a Digidesign system"

I thank you for your time and eagerly await you response,

Peter Scharpf
Old 12-16-2003, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Digi are you stopping your hardware exchange prog?

I have to say this accel card is a bit of an annoyance i am so glad i didnt buy a process card, i tell you what i wont be buying accel fo rthe time being as it is obvious to me that in a years time super hd will be out then. I am annoyed there isnt an upgrade from 96i/o to 192
Old 12-16-2003, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Digidesign,
Based on your latest HD>Accel upgrade program you state:

"Remember that HD Process-to-HD Accel exchanges end December 20, 2003, and no other programs of its kind will be subsequently offered"

Peter Scharpf

I did just upgrade to accel for one of my hd cards..just because after talking to the digi ref the upgrade program will be stopped after the 20th...this is very sad..one of the greatest selling points of the protools system was the fact that you were able to keep up to date with the latest technology using the upgrade policy..i must say that if they now change their mind and continue their upgrade policy for accel they will make a lot of people mad like me that upgraded before it was in their budget to do so..its a no win policy..and a bad business move on digi's part.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Digi are you stopping your hardware exchange p

Agree. It's absolutely not fair and it's far from professional.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Digi are you stopping your hardware exchange p

hopefully the 20th deadline will merely be the end of the promotional offer but exchanges in general will continue.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:52 AM

By schmetee
Quote:
Are you planning to stop your hardware exchange program in 2004? Your statement leads your clients to believe this. And at least your most recent HD Clients are lead to believe that there will no longer be harware upgrade opportunities for them in the future.
Hello. Guys I think that it is just Digidesign using the wrong words. I think they will still have upgrade programs, just not this particular exchange program that promotes the Accel card. Their entire business model is built upon the hardware upgrade program to go from LE to TDM, and then on TDM from d24 and upwards. So I think when Digidesign says "and no other programs of its kind will be subsequently offered" they are strictly referring to an Accel card exchange, not an upgrade. They mis-spoke, in this case mis-wrote, chose the wrong words. I think this is the case. Otherwise, think about it guys. No one on any system can do an upgrade? You can't go from LE to TDM without buying a whole new system, no discount? I highly doubt it.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:27 AM
Avid

The only Hardware Exchange that will end on December 20, 2003, is the HD Process to HD Accel card Hardware Exchange.

Thanks for your interest!
Old 12-16-2003, 08:34 AM

ProdInfo,

Thanks for the reply. Hope you are still listening:

Does this mean that the only systems that will not have an upgrade path after Dec 20th are HD systems? No upgrade path at all?

As was stated earlier, it makes future financial planning difficult without a detailed Digi hardware roadmap in place. I like special offers too, but we need some clarity. Most of us are still making payments on HD systems at this point.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff D.
HD3 owner
Old 12-16-2003, 08:56 AM

By Jeff D.
Quote:
Does this mean that the only systems that will not have an upgrade path after Dec 20th are HD systems? No upgrade path at all?
Hello. Jeff D. I think you are misunderstanding the difference between exchange and upgrade. Read the response from Digidesign again
Quote:
The only Hardware Exchange that will end on December 20, 2003, is the HD Process to HD Accel card Hardware Exchange.
Focus on the word 'Exchange'. The only thing that is ending Dec 20th is this Accel Exchange promotion. After that, Upgrade programs are still valid. I hope this clears that up.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:55 AM

Meaning what, exactly? No more accel upgrades, but there WILL be future upgrade programs from HD cards to the next generation hardware? That would be OK with me (irrespective of the current offensive pricing structure) but it still needs to be made clear.

Jeff's question is valid given the extremely obtuse (on purpose? Gee, dya' think?) nature of The official Digi statement, and "Prodinfo"'s response doesn't clear up anything. Itis purposefully unclear, IMO, which is as offensive as the whole HD and upgrade mess.

Also, One would have to infer from "Prodinfo"'s response that the will continue to be Mix-card to accell upgrades available, just not HD-cards to Accell. That can't be right.

Don't worry, I'm sure Digi will clear things up on Dec 21st.