Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2010, 05:51 PM

Default Akai MPK49 Keyboard Controller

I've been looking at moving from my Axiom 25 key into something with more keys... The akai mpk49 looks very good, but after doing a search on the forums.. i'm finding alot of people unable to use it in protools... geez it's a midi controller.. why would it not work?

Can you run reason rewired and still use it to control reason? I am liking the appregator function along with the note repeat on the pads... Has anyone been able to get this to work in reason rewired into protools? I'm only interested in it working with reason rewired... I have a control surface and don't want to use it that way...
[email protected]
M42 Entertainment Myspace
Old 03-12-2010, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Akai MPK49 Keyboard Controller

I have the MPK49 and use it with PT. I have used it with Reason, but the whole process of doing anything with it is a total pain in the backside! I can get most everything to work, but the faders and knobs are still not working.

I know there is a fix that was posted, and I spent a good part researching, but can't figure it out and quite frankly I am done with working on it. I am happy using the keys only and the pads if necessary. But thats it.....

"Yes, recording to the system drive is 99% likely THE main problem." sw rec
Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 PM

Ok so the faders and knobs don't work with reason when rewired to protools?
I'm trying to understand fully... how it's functioning in protools...so you can use the keys, pads, appeggiator, note repeat, and make changes to say malstrom? Can you re-assign the knobs and faders using the remote feature in reason rewired?

I really don't want to buy something I have to take right back.. due to total frustration... Has anyone run this in protools to work with reason?

Has anyone tried just running midi cables with this unit? I've found that there are many usb drivers that protools does not support... however if you run it using basic midi it works fine. i.e. mackie control universal pro...
[email protected]
Old 03-13-2010, 06:25 AM

Faders and Knobs don't work........period. Nada. Just eye candy. Some people have evidently tricked it into working somehow, but I've yet to figure it out. I contacted Akai and even THEY say that its unsupported.

If the fader and knobs are no issue, then it works like a champ.

If faders and knobs are something you REALLY need......then I would look at something different.

"Yes, recording to the system drive is 99% likely THE main problem." sw rec
Old 03-13-2010, 03:33 PM

to the both of you, the faders and knobs, to my knowledge dont work, i'd suggest to you dnky to get an axiom 49 or 61 and keep your mpk, the axiom is supported. and you can still use ur mpk.

my main setup is the mpk running through rewire and my axiom in pro tools, and my drum machine, yaamha dt xpress running through fruity loops via midi.

as far as making beats, i dont use pro tools for the creation process... strictly reason and fruityloops... dont waste ur time making beats in pro tools. its not worth it...

i7 920 2.66,
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R,
6 GB Corsair XMS3 Ram,
WD 500GB 7200 rpm HD,
WD 750GB 7200 rpm HD,
MBox 2 Mini, PT LE 8,
Axiom 49 Midi Controller,
Akai MPK 61 Midi Controller,
AKG C-414 Microphone.

Wish List: 2 Months.
Digi 003 BLA Mod,

MBP i5, 2.53 Ghz, 4GB of ram, 320GB internal, 500GB External Firewire, Waves Mercury,

Dverb Test - 156

"How you gon' do an 'Intro' to an 'Outro'?"
-Steezy on "Goodbye" By Spliit
Old 03-13-2010, 10:09 PM

Geez...what a nightmare.. looks like my only real choice is the axiom pro 49. I actually like the sequencer in protools over reason... I have more control over edits and can do way more production wise than in reason.. so protools is actually very kewl once you get past all the craziness/learning curve. I love reason as a soft-synth... I couldn't live without it....
[email protected]
Old 06-13-2010, 07:43 PM

can you tell me how you got the keys to work? im new to all of this and I cant seem to figure anything out. it is not recognizing the mpk49 at all