Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 09-29-2011, 05:54 AM

Default Re: HD Native cant Update Firmware after installing PT9.0.5 Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZK RECORDS View Post
Thanks for your answer and time Aditu!
Like I said, I installed the 10.6.3 OS in the external hard drive with my Intel laptop (internal HD OS10.5.8) and it worked perfectly. The problem is when I try to do the same with the tower. It sees the bootable HD in starup system preferences, but when I select it and hit restart, the computer restarts, but freeze at the apple logo ( no spinning circle there).
I believe that I won't be able to start the tower with an older OS than the one that came with the computer even if it bootable and ready to go in an external HD!!??
If I'm wrong please let me know how to do it!

would it be possible to make the TOWER the target with firewire and open PT 9.0.5, already installed in it, to upgrade the firmware?
Thanks again for your Help.
You haven't tried what aditu said to do have you? Install SL on the laptop internal harddrive (not the external drive), connect the laptop to the desktop and then do the Target mode thing. Try that and see what happens.

QAPLA!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
The problem is when I try to do the same with the tower.
KZK RECORDS if I'm reading this correctly, (please correct me if I'm wrong) you are trying to instal SL 10.6.3 onto your Laptop / External HDD AND your MacPro Tower?

If so, then DON'T! hehe, the whole idea is that you can't Downgrade your MacPro's OS. but you CAN start up your MacPro using a DIFFERENT OS (SL 10.6.7 or lower) than then one that is installed.

This can be achieved with an external drive (be it your laptop or external HDD) which is what the fix involves.

If you successfully installed SL OS onto your laptop and external HDD, then you don't need your SL installer anymore, just Plug in your Laptop or HDD to your MacPro.

Turn your MacPro on and as soon as the "Bwang" (or whatever you want to call it) sound goes off, hit the "Alt / Option" Key until you get the Bootable devices. Sometimes it takes a while to recognize em. and choose the OS that corresponds to your Laptop or HDD.

again ... booting up takes a while since USB and Firewire are slow ports for this kind of operations.

Again i'll be around if you ned any more help.

Cheers!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditu View Post
KZK RECORDS if I'm reading this correctly, (please correct me if I'm wrong) you are trying to instal SL 10.6.3 onto your Laptop / External HDD AND your MacPro Tower?

If so, then DON'T! hehe, the whole idea is that you can't Downgrade your MacPro's OS. but you CAN start up your MacPro using a DIFFERENT OS (SL 10.6.7 or lower) than then one that is installed.

This can be achieved with an external drive (be it your laptop or external HDD) which is what the fix involves.

If you successfully installed SL OS onto your laptop and external HDD, then you don't need your SL installer anymore, just Plug in your Laptop or HDD to your MacPro.

Turn your MacPro on and as soon as the "Bwang" (or whatever you want to call it) sound goes off, hit the "Alt / Option" Key until you get the Bootable devices. Sometimes it takes a while to recognize em. and choose the OS that corresponds to your Laptop or HDD.

again ... booting up takes a while since USB and Firewire are slow ports for this kind of operations.

Cheers!
What it looks like KZK is trying to do is to install SL on an external drive hooked to his laptop so he can then use that to boot the desktop; I don't think he's trying to install SL on the desktop as such. What he should do is as you and I have said and to update his laptop to SL on the internal hard drive and not an external and then use that upgraded laptop (with no external hard drive connected) to boot the desktop in Target mode. For some reason he appears to be reticent on bringing his laptop up to SL.

He wants/needs to do this so he can update the firmware on his HD Native card.

QAPLA!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:

Cheers!
Hello.
When I said "The problem is when I try to do the same with the tower." I was trying to startup the Mac Pro from my external HD with 10.6.3 in order...was impossible. Apparently, since mine came with Lion, won't start up on anything else.

Talking with the Avid tech, we came to the conclusion that installing the SL OS in the laptop, won't make much of a difference. The only solution is to take my card to another computer and do the upgrade there...I try locally to do it with no luck. I'm sending my native card back to Avid to get the upgrade...men...this has been a loooong wait! Hopefully I'll get my system up and running by next week.

Thank you again for all the help!
Rock On!!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Hello.
When I said "The problem is when I try to do the same with the tower." I was trying to startup the Mac Pro from my external HD with 10.6.3 in order...was impossible. Apparently, since mine came with Lion, won't start up on anything else.

Talking with the Avid tech, we came to the conclusion that installing the SL OS in the laptop, won't make much of a difference. The only solution is to take my card to another computer and do the upgrade there...I try locally to do it with no luck. I'm sending my native card back to Avid to get the upgrade...men...this has been a loooong wait! Hopefully I'll get my system up and running by next week.

Thank you again for all the help!
Rock On!!
Is the Avid tech you talked to saying target mode boot to SL doesn't work on the new Lion OSX Macs?

QAPLA!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Is the Avid tech you talked to saying target mode boot to SL doesn't work on the new Lion OSX Macs?
No.
I'm saying it.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
No.
I'm saying it.
But did you even try putting SL on the laptop and trying target mode? Wouldn't hurt to give it a go. Other people have been able to do target mode on the new Lion OSX machines.

QAPLA!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 PM

ok skipped the last page or so as theres a lot of talk about mac. For people who dont have the option to put there native card into a mac or a friends mac, has there been a proper solution to this problem yet?
Mushkin DDR3 16G RAM
Pro Tools HD Native 9.0.5
C24
Eleven Rack
Lynx Aurora, LTHD
UAD2 Quad Neve
-----------------------------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro
2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
Pro Tools LE 8
Glyph Tech GT050Q
003 Rack
Mbox2 mini
Old 10-21-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfefc View Post
ok skipped the last page or so as theres a lot of talk about mac. For people who dont have the option to put there native card into a mac or a friends mac, has there been a proper solution to this problem yet?
I asked this to techsupport when I called them. They said I can send them the unit and they will update the firmware. Of course, they won't pay the shipping costs, and it will take at least 2 weeks depending on your location (I am in Connecticut).
Old 12-26-2011, 09:10 PM

Seems like an excellent tutorial; thank you very much. I'm in the same position and believe I understand the proc you outline re: booting from Laptop. My problem is this: My Macbook Pro is on 10.4.

I'd be glad to update to SL, but how do I do so without updating the current version of SL so that I can update the firmware?

Thanks for you time,

Mike

Quote:
Hey there KZK RECORDS

I'm still a bit confused as to why it's not working this fix for you.

Every Apple machine comes with a pre-installed OS, you can't install an earlier version than the one it came with.

So if your MacPro came with Lion, then you can't go lower than OS 10.7.x, if you try to install your Snow Leopard 10.6.3 directly into the hard drive, you might as well look at the wall and wait forever since the MacPro will get stuck on a Loop Load.

Now lets go to your MacBook Pro, which from what i have read, it's currently in Leopard OS 10.5.x, first suggestion would be, can you install SL 10.6.3 onto your MacBook Pro? The only reason NOT to upgrade your MacBook Pro to Snow Leopard would be that your laptop has in fact a PowerPC processor, but if this is not the case please do upgrade your MacBook Pro's OS.

I strongly recommend it!

If you can install SL onto your laptop then you should be good to go and install PTHD9. Once installed, again Hook up your Laptop via Firewire to your MacPro, start your laptop first as Target disk mode ("T" key) and then start your MacPro with the "Alt / Option" key in order to select the Boot drive you want the MacPro to start with (Choose your laptop from the options).

If everything works up to here, then proceed with the Firmware update and you should be good to go with your PT HD Native system.

Last but not least, you also have an External Hard Drive, so if you were to install a Bootable OS from an external Firewire Hard Drive, you have to make sure that the Hard Drive has 1 Partition and it has to have the "GUID Partition Scheme" Format for it to work as a bootable external hard drive.

Please follow Apple's instructions on how to format a bootable external drive posted here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1600?viewlocale=en_US

Once you've formated your external HDD, proceed to install the SL OS10.6.3 and the PT HD. and finally rinse and repeat the process of starting your MacPro with the OS from the HDD for the Firmware update.

Hope this works for you.

ps. I'm assuming that your external HDD is Firewire, according to Apple's documentation, USB drives should also work, but for the sake of it i'd rather do the procedure with Firewire.