How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2017, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Gui lag 12.8.2

I've just moved to 12.8.2 and os 10.11.

I'm experiencing very poor / laggy vertical scrolling performance....and vertical scrolling is something I spend much of the day doing, so this is a significant slowdown for me.

Like many of us, I'm still on an older machine while we wait interminably for Apple to release a modern professional machine.

2010 3.33GHz westmere mac pro PCIe "cheese grater" tower here. 24GB ram, stock apple three head video card + KONA LHi.

addl notes: At first I installed 12.8.2 on 10.10 (which is unsupported) and read reports about graphics slowdowns, which I did experience. Upgrading OS to 10.11 has been better, but vertical scrolling w/ mouse is very unsmooth. (it's snappy when using Page UP / DOWN, and Scroll To Track.)

Somewhere I read that OS 10.12 is not recommended for the 2010 machines, as there are optimizations for newer intel chips.

I've NOT yet read this whole thread, so apologies if anything here is redundant.

-jeremiah
Old 11-06-2017, 07:03 AM

I went back to 12.8.1 after some weirdness ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Gui lag 12.8.2

I’m on macOS 10.12 & I’m experiencing the GUI lag when scrolling vertically. My apologies if this has been resolved, because I️ have not read the thread yet.

What’s the strange for me is that I’ve been on 12.8.2 for a week or two and I’m just now noticing the bug. I’m quite sure I️ would have noticed it early on. Then again who knows.. I️ may be a little CoO CoO for Co Co Puffs!

Seriously speaking though.. this wasn’t an issue last week on PT 12.8.2 on a mid-2014 MB Pro

Last edited by Impervious; 11-06-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
I’m on macOS 10.12 & I’m experiencing the GUI lag when scrolling vertically. My apologies if this has been resolved, because I️ have not read the thread yet.

What’s the strange for me is that I’ve been on 12.8.2 for a week or two and I’m just now noticing the bug. I’m quite sure I️ would have noticed it early on. Then again who knows.. I️ may be a little CoO CoO for Co Co Puffs!

Seriously speaking though.. this wasn’t an issue last week on PT 12.8.2 on a mid-2014 MB Pro
It gets worse with more audio tracks (with clips). Maybe now you are using bigger sessions ... just wondering. But the problem is real, and has been already unofficially acknowledged with a bug number and all. Let's hope for a fix, I wanna use it.

Sound Engineer | Non-Avid Employee
Old 11-06-2017, 01:21 PM

Default Gui lag 12.8.2

Yeah you’re totally correct lol. Last week the session was smaller and this week it’s a lot larger! I’d like a fix as well
Old 11-06-2017, 11:11 PM

12.8.2 is officially useless...to me. I'm running the latest MacPro with lots of ram.

The progress of Pro Tools 12 feels like one step forward, two steps back. I'm having a hard time right now to justify to myself why I keep purchasing those HD support plan year after year...mine is up in a few days.

And workflow improvements like folders for clips, folders for tracks, folders for plug-ins, ability to automatically re-assign numbers to memory locations and loads of other ideas from the last years have not been incorporated. I'm bracing myself for accepting the fact that some things will never change in Pro Tools. You can tell I'm a bit frustrated after 20+ years work with Pro Tools.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Eichelberg View Post
12.8.2 is officially useless...to me. I'm running the latest MacPro with lots of ram.

The progress of Pro Tools 12 feels like one step forward, two steps back. I'm having a hard time right now to justify to myself why I keep purchasing those HD support plan year after year...mine is up in a few days.

And workflow improvements like folders for clips, folders for tracks, folders for plug-ins, ability to automatically re-assign numbers to memory locations and loads of other ideas from the last years have not been incorporated. I'm bracing myself for accepting the fact that some things will never change in Pro Tools. You can tell I'm a bit frustrated after 20+ years work with Pro Tools.
+1
Old 11-07-2017, 12:55 AM

I've said this before, also a 20+ years user, things have never this bad, it demonstrates this subscription model is tainting releases, not enhancing them.

For a .2 release this is embarrassing, 12.8.1, works great, and the best stability to date with v12
Old 11-07-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz View Post
I've said this before, also a 20+ years user, things have never this bad, it demonstrates this subscription model is tainting releases, not enhancing them.
I'm not sure if people remember the discussions happening when the subscription plan was first rumored but this is essentially what was predicted. It's not unlike Pharma: there's no money in the cure. Go soft on repairing bugs and customers will *need* the subscription plan.

Think about the reasons we spend ~$400/year on the plan. New features, yes, although those have been INCREDIBLY slow to materialize. It's to stay current. To receive the bug fixes. To allow new OS updates and ensure PT compatibility.

Anyone who's been following this topic will notice how frequently the app takes a step backwards since the Plan began. No, I doubt bugs are *introduced* intentionally, but it's equally incompetent and devious, yes, to intentionally ignore those repairs. If anyone thinks this process isn't discussed in closed board meetings or, more likely, while playing 18 holes you're just being naive or overly loyal.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:44 PM

Well said Eric. +1