Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 AM

Default Any difference besides color between D Command and D Command ES?

I got a line on the deal of a lifetime on a D Command, the original I believe (havent seen it yet and the seller doesnt seem to know)

I have used the Icons and could never tell any difference besides the more pleasing color scheme in the ES.

Am I missing something?

MKD Creative
Old 06-18-2010, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Any difference besides color between D Command and D Command ES?

Something I found. Don't hold me to it.

http://www.hitsquad.com/news/hardwar...s_worksurface/
Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM

the ES's have a different fader that the originals that is suppose to last longer
the originals can have there faders replaced with the new ones
the ES's have the new automation buttons layout the old needs a sticker to be updated
they function the same

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-18-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post
I got a line on the deal of a lifetime on a D Command, the original I believe (havent seen it yet and the seller doesnt seem to know)

I have used the Icons and could never tell any difference besides the more pleasing color scheme in the ES.

Am I missing something?
I've recently seen new blue D-Commands and fader expansion units for sale at a little over half price. If they had been that cheap when I bought my ES, I would have gone for blue instead of grey. There may be some minor differences, but nothing that makes much difference to me.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:45 PM

I bought a "new" blue main unit about a year ago and while I love using it, you should beware of the age of these units. Mine was actually manufactured in 2005 though sold new in 2009.

In less than a year, I have been through 3 faulty encoder panels, a broken XMON unit and several intermittent faders...according to avid, all age related issues...

To be fair, I have received excellent support with these problems, but none the less, I would carefully test the unit before purchasing...

Definitely some good deals out there though...

-Z-
Old 06-19-2010, 09:23 PM

Interesting point, Zak. I hadn't considered that issue. Makes me feel slightly better about the cost of living on the leading, er, make that bleeding edge.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post

Am I missing something?
Just recently, I wanted to check out the features of the 100,000$ remote units.
That was on digi's site.

My god, digidesign had more information about a plug-in costing 299$ than about their flagship console. Today, I still dont know what that icon-thing can do. But hey, maybe the reason that there was so little information was that all the icon does is remote control a software. One gotta wonder though, why does he need a mouse STILL after spending $100K
Old 06-20-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Just recently, I wanted to check out the features of the 100,000$ remote units.
That was on digi's site.

My god, digidesign had more information about a plug-in costing 299$ than about their flagship console. Today, I still dont know what that icon-thing can do. But hey, maybe the reason that there was so little information was that all the icon does is remote control a software. One gotta wonder though, why does he need a mouse STILL after spending $100K
Personally for the money I'd rather go with an SSL AWS900se+ or the SSL Duality. With them you get a control surface that can be used not only with PT but other programs at the push of a button; you also get some damn fine audio circuitry as well.

QAPLA!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:22 PM

Z,

I bought a "new" blue d-command as well as a used fader module. I'm having issues with a couple of rotary encoders on one of the panels on the fader module. It seems to be intermittent - the encoders will work during a session but then when I reload the same session they may not?? Is this what you experienced? How did you go about resolving the issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 PM

Also some of the older d commands have a different com board then new units. The new version of the com board allows the d command multi mode feature introduced in pt 10. You can up grade the com board in the older units tho. Good luck