Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2006, 07:25 AM

Default mixer settings on bounce?

Hey All,

Ok. I just finished a song. But when I bounced the track, the levels were really high and bass heavy, almost as if it was being pushed too much. I noticed this only happened 'after' i added
output level meters to each track. Are you supposed to do that when you bounce? Because i tried it without, and then the song is too low (not as much 'oompf')...

Can anyone give me a 101 on bounce mixdown?

thanx..
Old 01-10-2006, 08:44 AM

Default Re: mixer settings on bounce?

Not to sound mean, but this is kinda like asking someone if they can mix for you by typing it out.

Your mix should, and I stress that "Should" translate the way you hear it when you bounce. For a beginner (and I am assuming this as to the question you asked) I recommend adding NOTHING to the MASTER fader when you bounce the song down. Make sure that the MASTER fader is not clipping at all throughout the song, if it does, lower the master fader some and recheck it.

Then, you need to master the song.

USE THE SEARCH TOOL here and look up mastering. MILLIONS of posts about it.

I really recommend getting a good Pro Tools mix book and digging into that as well as the DUC. Lots of good topics if you take the time to read up on it.

Sounds like you have a lot to learn.

Good luck,

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 01-10-2006, 12:19 PM

lol...well, yes..i am a beginner...

i think i already 'mastered' without even thinking about it, because everytime i get done with
a song, i automatically go and eq and compress everything to desired taste. i think i probably just have the master up too loud or the output faders up too much..that's what i'm guessing..
Old 01-10-2006, 05:05 PM

You are falling into a common trap here ...
You are creating a 'Studio Master',
This what you have after all the tracks have been recorded, then all comps, gates, eq's, fx's etc. have been tweaked so all of the indivdual tracks have the sound you want, all the fades are noted and then you mix down to a master ... a Studio Master.
This should not be confused with the 'Master' which is the copy that is sent to be pressed for retail sale. And IMHO, that should be done at a Mastering Studio. AND ... there is nothing that you got in you factory bundle that is actually concidered, 'Mastering Grade' plugs.
If your mixes are loud and boomy, you should go back to the track level to correct this and NOT try to fix it by trying to Eq things out at the final mix level.
Judicous use of Eq'ing at the track level will help you carve out a spot in the mix for each instrument to claim as it's own and cause the mix to sound unified as a whole sound package rather than a group of instruments and voices thrown together to make some loud noise that you compressed to make louder at the final mix.
This also explains why tracking, mixing and mastering engineers are all listed on the back of albums for they each perform very distinct, different and critical jobs in the recording process.
I should also say that Practice makes perfect ... so practice ... A LOT! You should also try and read as much as you can on tracking, recording, mixing and mastering. There are plenty of sites and info out there and right here ... So drink deep, and learn as much as you ... And most of all create, have some fun ...