Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2014, 02:20 AM

Default Steven Slate VTM AAX/AVID plug ins approval

According to the last email from Steven Slate, we should have some kind of beta version of VTM...

I don't mind to wait for it if we are going to have a "rock solid, optimized" plug in... It will be lovely to have info updated

Please, as a beta tester of VBC (I am not beta tester but it seems what I bought was a beta version), I would like you to repair metering of gain reduction on icon (it doesn't work correctly in each channel) and allow us to control the compressor from the center channel.

I think it will be very nice if AVID and third parts worked together to check that plug ins work correctly in each different surface, and are totally compatible. This problems happens in some other plug ins. I don't know wich way is the best way to have this things fixed.

I offer myself to check icon capabilities. I really love to work in an "analog way" not looking at the screen or using mouses.

Thanks for listening.

11.1.2 here
Old 02-23-2014, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Steven Slate VTM AAX/AVID plug ins approval

really do you think it's Avids problem to test all these plugins?Slate is selling them to work with PT's let him test them
Old 02-24-2014, 06:35 AM

The same way apple take care with apps, I think avid could take care of plug ins...

The are some plug ins that are not compliant with avid surfaces, etc, (appart of some other problems)

I think this kind of service will help us (users) and Avid itself.

I know it seems crazy to verify such a big amount of plug ins, at least it should be done at basics specs.
There is a much much bigger number of apps, and it is done.

I have informed some of the problems to one developer and nothing happened...

I think someone should take care of us.

Thanks in advance :)
Old 02-24-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC View Post
The same way apple take care with apps, I think avid could take care of plug ins...
Isn't that the way things are for Avid, too? Both Apple and Avid make software, and third parties make software plug-ins that work in conjunction with that software. I really doubt Apple tests every Audio Unit plug-in. That would take a huge amount of man hours, and it's the responsibility of the third parties to test their own products. That includes ICON mapping.

Quote:
I know it seems crazy to verify such a big amount of plug ins, at least it should be done at basics specs.
Both Apple and Avid provide third parties with development kits. There's are dev forums, there are dev conferences, and many other dev resources. Developers get free "test bench" copies of Apple and Avid products. They have everything they need to test their own software. Avid doesn't get a cut of every single plug-in that is licensed for Pro Tools... PACE gets a piece, but it's insubstantial (if I recall correctly it's $500 flat rate per company per year, no matter how many plug-ins are licensed).
Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Isn't that the way things are for Avid, too? Both Apple and Avid make software, and third parties make software plug-ins that work in conjunction with that software. I really doubt Apple tests every Audio Unit plug-in.
I think he means the way Apple handles the iOS App Store.

I think he's confused though, as Apple doesn't test the app for stability. It tests to see if it complies to their regulations.

I have plenty of apps on my phone that have bugs or crash. Some get rectified with updates whilst others remain that way.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I think he means the way Apple handles the iOS App Store.
If that's the case, the comparison is not apt. I assumed he was referring to Apple's handling of plugins for their in-house DAW (Logic Pro).
Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
If that's the case, the comparison is not apt. I assumed he was referring to Apple's handling of plugins for their in-house DAW (Logic Pro).
The latter would be the more obvious comparison, but again, I don't know of Apple screening plugins aside from the built in AU validator in the Logic app.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:39 AM

Thanks everybody.

I don´t want any kind of discussion between users.

I was talking about apps for ipad and iphone. Of course they do a basic test, and they check the apps comply with rules.

This is what I am asking for. For me it is a correct comparation. Apps for apple could be like plug ins for Avid. Audio Units is not such an important thing for apple. Plug ins should be very important for avid. They do hardware and sofware for them like apple does ipad, iphone, etc...

I know some apps have problems too. The idea is to do the best platform.

I would like to work with the best audio app in the world. And maybe we users could help.

The same way Avid have made hisnet of moderators, they could do a net of beta testers (lets call it that way) to check plug ins before they are released. What you need:

The necesary hardware different people with different options, a NFR license (one month), some time.

Then we (I wouldn't mind to be one of them) could report how the experience was.
If every user of this net check one plug in per month... Everything will be solved and done very fast.

I know each company should have beta testers. But the thing is, that some time it seems they don´t check some things... I don't know why.

Let me show a few examples:

-Steven Slate´s VBC: it doesn't work in the central channel of an icon (I think it
should works, at least the reflected controls in the surface)
-It doesn´t have mono option (maybe that´s the idea, they are bus compressors, but some buses could be mono ... At least it could have a dual mono option )
-Gain reduction meters doesn´t work properly on ICON.

-Steven Slate´s VTM: when you see the parameters on the ICON surface, switches Tape, Machine, Speed... doesn´t work properly.
-You can´t acces to settings parameter from ICON.

Don´t get me wrong, I am just trying to help. I love their plug ins.

A very interesting example wich for me is incredible:

Cranesong´s Phoenix switches, doesn´t work properly on ICON. I report that to cranesong a few months ago. The last version is not working
David Hill (also wonderfull plug ins) works very close to Avid!!!!!

What should we do to have plugins working properly?

Thanks again. I am trying to be constructive. Best.

P.S.:Peacock was released a few months a go by cranesong, and is not including in the AAX list...

P.S.2: I wrote this very fast, hope it is clear enough.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I don't know of Apple screening plugins aside from the built in AU validator in the Logic app.
That was my point. Avid shouldn't manage third party software the same as Apple runs the app store, not even Apple does that.

Quote:
What should we do to have plugins working properly?
Email the company that made the plug-in. Most developers are very receptive to feedback. Some even do emergency fixes, outside the normal release map, based on incoming customer feedback. I think the point here is that software is (unfortunately) work-in-progress. It is the responsibility of those that make plug-ins to make them work properly. Maybe some don't work with Icon because they simply haven't gotten enough of a response from Icon users.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Email the company that made the plug-in. Most developers are very receptive to feedback. Some even do emergency fixes, outside the normal release map, based on incoming customer feedback.
This is great advice

If Avid had to "validate" and be involved in every third party plugin manufacturer that would be all they would be doing. I do understand what you are saying though but the best way to get support is to do what Mesaone said, contact the troublesome plugin developer and see what they can do to help you get up and running. This has always been Avids way and I doubt it will change. Most of the plugin devs are really responsive and more often than not jumps on the issues at hand right away to try to make it better.

Best Wishes
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————