Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2008, 08:47 AM

Default Metering and Limiting!?!

Hi, I have a feeling I'm doing things all wrong.

I'm mixing in pre-fader metering because I want to make sure I'm not clipping the input on any channels. I know this ensures no clipping because, seeing as the insert section is pre metering in either mode, so as long as my inserts aren't making the channel clip (and I don't put the faders above 0dB) the output can't be.

I have 3 questions:

1. Is my understanding of the above correct?

2. If the input clips (in pre-fader metering), but I adjust it with the fader (so that it does not clip in post fader mode), does it matter that it's still clipping when I go back to pre-fader metering? I.e does it still distort, just at a lower volume?

3. As I understand it, if I have a limiter on a channel insert, which is set to infinite ratio, no gain added, and a threshold of -2dB, the audio should under no circumstances be allowed to go above -2dB: is this correct?

I have a Digi DynamicsIII limiter set exactly as described and the channel still clips in pre fader mode, what am I doing wrong? Surely even if I had the limiter set as high as 0dB it should still prevent the channel clipping??

Thanks

Ben

Mobile - MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, PT v7.3.1, 002R, 003R, MBox + 3rd party stuff
Old 02-10-2008, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Metering and Limiting!?!

Hi,

Have a read of the following article.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may0...es/digital.htm

0dBu = -20 or -18dBFS(current standard)
0dBu = -12 or -10dBFS(dream standard)

Use the Trim Plugin to make your individual channel levels correct, it's just like setting your input gain on an analog console, try it, you will never work the same way again.

BlueHouze Studios
Loud with Dynamics
Macbook Pro 2 gigs of ram
HD ACCEL 1
Magma 1 Slot Chassis
Old 02-10-2008, 10:37 AM

IMHO, This whole nonsense of maxing out audio is really screwing up what music truely sounds like. It's like the difference between 1080p High Definition and watching a movie from you 480p Ipod Video out. It's acceptable but that doesn't mean it looks good.

No limiter can completely stop clipping, nor would you want it to. If the audio is hitting the track too hard and your prefader meters are going red, best practices would suggest turning down the input. The is the digital realm and all of that clipping on the front end will have a serious impact on your mix (unless that is the sound you are going for). The trim plug is an option but that effects the dynamics of the waveform. Lowering the audio input will keep the waveform full resolution and then you can mess with it in post. You may not hear the degradation right now, but over time, when you critical listening skills improve, you will recognize it.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:44 AM

The only thing that prevents your inputs (well, the converters) from clipping is turning down the input volume. This can be done either on your mixer or audio interface or by using a hardware limiter.

As soon as the input clips, there is nothing you can do anymore within your software.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:21 AM

Why dont you just listen for the audio clipping? My sessions are full of red, and theyre not clipping in my EARS.
PRO TOOLS 7.1-cs10
MUSIC PRODUCTION TOOLKIT
DIGIMAX LT
WAVES SSL
WAVES DIAMOND
REASON 3.0
Old 02-11-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Why dont you just listen for the audio clipping? My sessions are full of red, and theyre not clipping in my EARS.
The problem with that approach is you can have significant clipping which is not audible, but the cumulative effect of such clipping can be detrimental to your sound down the chain. You can in fact have a signal that doesn't show clipping on the meters, but causes the converters to try to reconstruct an illegal signal.

With 24bit recording there is absolutely no good reason to run levels hot. If you want more volume when mixing turn your monitors up. In fact actually calibrating your monitoring levels might be a good idea. If you are in doubt as to how to do that read this.