Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 11-10-2010, 05:27 AM

Default Monitor stage box split using venue.

Very simple question as I'm setting up a venue system next week: how does the stagebox split to a monitor desk with this system and do the monitor and FOH desks mimic each other in any way ( gains etc. ) or are they two completely different systems?

Any pics of what I'm plugging where would be handy if anyone has them too. FTR I'm familiar with the D-show to stagebox set-up, it's just the monitor desk split I'm unfamilier with.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Monitor stage box split using venue.

Well, the only split option would be either through the MADI interface between the two consoles or I've heard about using RME's MADI Bridge to feed both consoles from the stage rack. Are one of these one in which you are looking for?

With the MADI Bridge, all you do it feed all devices to the Bridge and run independent coax cables to the desks. Although I have never accomplished this, I believe there is some type of "patching" which you will need to complete in order for signal to be passed.

For the MADI solution, (Note: You will need a MADI Option card installed in the FOH Rack). You will feed the Stage Rack BNC snake to one of the desks. This will become the "Primary" console. This console will have head amp control. Then, you will need to connect the desks through MADI. Either copper or fiber MADI will work. This will be the "Slave" console. You will not have h/a control, but you will have a good amount of Trim/Attenuation.

Unfortunately, the gain setup for both consoles is not independent...that is one of the things I'm not too fond of. Really, the only way to still accomplish that is through an tried and true classic analog split.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 11-10-2010, 08:36 AM

Kens comments are totally valid. However, the more common approach is to use to separate stage boxes, each fed by 1 analog splitter. Gains are independent, as are all desk functions.

Basically you have 2 stage boxes and an analog splitter all side by side at the stage. BNC connects out to FOH, and BNC links between the monitor "stage" and "FOH" racks.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Monitor stage box split using venue.

Ah, thanks, so basically I'll be using a standard analogue splitter. You'd have thought the stagebox would have had a digital through to the monitor desk so they're both using the same box. Interesting. Not sure if the company uses the MADI, but I'll read up on it anyway.

Thanks anyway.