Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2009, 05:37 AM

Default recording VOX with compression on 7.4 LE

what is a good setting to use on the compressor given with protools 7.0 for recording vox???

i'll get a good level on the vox but then when they yell or get loud for a sec, it peaks..

what should i do in this situation??
Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 AM

Default Re: recording VOX with compression on 7.4 LE

Turn ur level down... U don't have to have a hot signal recording digital @ 24bit... As for using the digi comp or any comp for that matter, putting it on the audio track as an insert while recording WON'T make a difference no how... U will still be getting the SAME peaked signal going in...

I wouldn't do this myself, but u can setup a 2nd audio track & AUX track-put a comp on there-set the input to where u have ur mic coming in on that AUX track, SAME as the 1ST AUDIO track u set up to record to(input 1 probably) Set the OUTPUT on the AUX track to a bus(bus 1 let's say) set the INPUT of the 2ND audio track to bus 1 & record both tracks @ once... Of course u'd have to get the compressor set to something & NO I CAN'T give any settings for that, as u just have to listen & adjust which is why I say I wouldn't do it, & would just turn ur levels down & stop trying to hit @ -2db for a vocal track...

OK, hope that helps & Welcome to the DUC if I hadn't done that already

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-23-2009, 08:42 AM

What he said
If you can't do an external mic pre with a compressor, you could "y" your mic into a pair of inputs and set the gain 10db lower on one. This way if the singer clips the first track, you have an unclipped track to create a comp track. If you record at 24 bit, you can shoot for meter readings of halfway. You might also set your pop screen a few inches back to keep the singer from getting too close. Once you have a finished track, you can go thru it and use the Audiosuite GAIN plugin to raise any spots that are really low, or lower any spots that are really hot(as long as they aren't clipped). I do this now on most vocals before mixing. It mkaes the vocal more even, which tends to drive my inserted compressor more consistently for a better overall sound.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-24-2009, 11:43 AM

yea i just have to mess with the settings on the plugin compressors.. just seems like its too SQUASHED.... i have no outboard gear
Old 08-26-2009, 04:50 AM

When mixing try as a starting point..... Quite Quick Attack, Moderate(ish) release, ratio no more than 4:1 and a threshold that just catches most of the peaks. Try that and tweak from there!

A
Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 AM

Do many people record vocals with a compression on the live track?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:37 AM

Sometimes, yes. More when tracking live gigs rather than studio work. Bad mic technique can also be a factor in this. If tracking with compression it is advisable to be gentle with its squashidideness so as to allow room for more in the mix stage if needed.

A
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 AM

I got the a UA LA610 last year, and have not regreted it a monent. Smooth signals going into the Mbox 2pro.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I got the a UA LA610 last year, and have not regreted it a monent. Smooth signals going into the Mbox 2pro.
U should check into changes the tubes... It'll turn it into a real man I only use the comp on mine but that even sounds better...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)