Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2002, 03:42 PM

Default Peter & Roy\'s PTle Shootout ~ Official Kickoff Thread!!!

Welcome to Peter & Roy's Ptle shootout!

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The object of this exercise is to provide participants with a raw vocal of a new original song. The vocal will have no processing or effects on it. We will also provide a session tempo.Participants will then download this vocal track and produce and mix a song around it. Creatively wise anything goes.You may cut up this track any way you wish.You may take it in any direction conceivable.You may juggle the structure untill not even the writer recognizes it!You may sing backing vocals as much as you want.But your end product must still be easily recognizable as having originated from the basic vocal we provided. This is the opportunity you have always waited for.The chance to flex your creative mucles for all to see,and hopefully to learn something in the process.

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The rules are simple:
-You must do this production on a PTle system.Any platform,any version or variant.
-You must convert your finished production to MP3.
-You must upload your MP3 to a server of your choice or wherever you usually do this sort of thing.If you dont have acces to a server or site to upload to,get with the program and help yourself out!
-DO NOT post your link on the DUC.The judges will do this during the week starting 30 Sept.If you post your link prior to that,you will definitely influence other people's creative decisions.This will lead to disqualification.(Also, please don't post 'funny' versions on the DUC during the contest).
-You must email a link to your uploaded MP3 to the judges at [email protected]
no later than 10:00pm Eastern Standard Time Monday September 30th. DO NOT send the MP3 via email!Emails with attachments will be deleted prior to opening.
-The Judges will post all links and reviews on the DUC during the week starting Monday 30 Sept.After that all interested parties will be free to download all the submissions and discuss it amongst themselves and with us.

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] This competition has no prizes,and as such will have no traditional winner.However,reviews posted by the judges will include a score based on a formula that includes issues such as creativity,originality,commerciality,mix balance,production,arrangements,structuring ect. The judges will also add their own personal comments and observations. We are not looking for a clear cut radio hit here.We are looking for something that humans would want to listen to.A full explanation as to how scores were calculated will be posted with the results.

Any enquiries can be sent to [email protected] and will be answered within 24 hours,however if you have a question that you think others might also benefit from,post it here at this thread and it will be answered here.

Remember to have as much fun as possible with this!it will show up on your recording if you don't!

If you think this competition is a bit much to ask, remember that it isnt for sissies.and neither is life I suppose.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] The link to the basic vocal track is here Take me to the place where I can get the vocal track!
The session tempo it was recorded at is 102bpm.The track is called "Burn Down" [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

!!A big thank you to BigRedButton for his time and effort in putting this amazing performance at our disposal!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

All the best of luck to everyone!

~Peter deVries [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] and Roy Howell [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2002, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Peter & Roy\'s PTle Shootout ~ Official Kickoff Thread!!!

What key are the vocals in?

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 09-14-2002, 08:00 PM

this is pretty much the same technique i use to attack every remix i do for people. just get the vocal tracks and build a song up around it.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ReniuR:
What key are the vocals in?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">one tone down from the next one up

Unfortunately we dont provide that info.You have to figure it out yourself.It can be ,without becoming too blue,in several different keys.At least 5 while staying in-envelope.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:22 PM

BTW. here's some info on the vocal track.

The vocals are from a song I wrote just for the occasion. I simply solo'd my vocal tracks and burned them as a single 192kbps MP3 file. I left 8 clicks at the start for easier sync up to your tracks. It was recorded straight into the Digi001 through an AT4033 mic, and I've applied NO eq, compression or pitch correction. So, here it is, warts and all!

I wrote the song about my house burning down when I was sixteen (no, I had nothing to do with it). Needless to say, it was not the greatest day of my life, so the song contains a little bitter sweet reflection in the verses, and the chorus is pretty much just really hacked off! You never know what's going to come out when you put pen to paper.

Hopefully, this track will work for the purposes of this contest. Enjoy! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'm REALLY looking forward to what all of you come up with! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 09-14-2002, 10:32 PM

This has been fun. I have my mix almost complete. Just a few touch-ups. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 03:36 PM

peter & roy - you should extend the due date. i only get about 3 hours per week for this stuff...
Old 09-15-2002, 09:08 PM

I agree with da basstard. I can't play all of my instruments and there is no way I can get all of the guys in here to record it for me before friday. Man I was really looking forward to this compitition thinking I would have some time to put everything together, but maybe I should just send it in with just me on bass. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!:
peter & roy - you should extend the due date. i only get about 3 hours per week for this stuff...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Peter's already emailed me earlier about this, and we're trying to decide the best deadline. (it will be moved up). I've suggested an extra week. Sound cool?
We'll be back with the exact date and time.

Thanks, Roy
Old 09-16-2002, 12:40 AM

Oh man there is no way I'm going to get done with this in time. Oh well I guess I will just post my mix when I have it. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]