Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2017, 07:42 PM

Default Preview AudioSuite plugins on a region while hearing other tracks?

Hi there,

When I preview an audio suite plugin on a region, I often want to not only preview how the region sounds solo but also how it sounds in the context of all the other tracks playing around it. It seems that "preview" in the audiosuite plugins is always a solo preview. Any way to hear it in context of the whole session while previewing?

The only workaround I found is to first drop plugins into tracks, preview it all in context that way and THEN tediously copy/paste plugin settings, open the plugins again while the region is selected, render them to the file and then delete all the plugins from the track!

Thanks in advance for any time saving options you might have out there!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Preview AudioSuite plugins on a region while hearing other tracks?

How about instead of using audiosuite plugins you use regular automation on an insert plugin?

QAPLA!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:35 AM

Hi there!

Yes, I thought of that one too, however, since it's a feature length film, each track has hundreds of clips on it. I think doing all of that real time automation to so many clips could get out of hand and really slow the computer down. It's best to have the end goal of rendering the effect into the file I think!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewBeals View Post
Hi there!

Yes, I thought of that one too, however, since it's a feature length film, each track has hundreds of clips on it. I think doing all of that real time automation to so many clips could get out of hand and really slow the computer down. It's best to have the end goal of rendering the effect into the file I think!
Have you studied how to do film work from an experienced professional?

I'm afraid you're trying to use the software in a way it wasn't intended or designed.

Is this Pro Tools HD? HD has a feature called Clip Effects that will do what you want for basic EQ/Dyn. For other processes, sometimes rendering them into the clip is good, other times it's better to have them on a send so other tracks can access them.

I'd suggest booking some time with an experienced professional engineer that does film work and watch and learn from them.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:06 AM

After following musicman's suggestion, perhaps you could commit the track, which is essentially rendering it? Also, when you mention painstakingly copying plugin settings, are you aware that you may save settings as a preset, which is available every time you open the plugin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2017, 06:55 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the thoughts!

Drew--I'm not in ProTools HD unfortunately. I'm aware of the disadvantages and benefits of sends/inserts vs. rendering to the clip. All I'm really asking for a is a preview option in a plugin that allows you to hear the clip in context but I guess that doesn't exist. Clip Effects in ProTools HD sounds like what I am looking for but sadly I can't afford the upgrade.

EdwardWilliam--I never heard of committing a track and from looking into it perhaps this could be a lead for me, thanks! And yes, I'm aware of saving presets in plugins as opposed to copying settings.

Last edited by MatthewBeals; 08-20-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for the thoughts!

Drew--I'm not in ProTools HD unfortunately. I'm aware of the disadvantages and benefits of sends/inserts vs. rendering to the clip. All I'm really asking for a is a preview option in a plugin that allows you to hear the clip in context but I guess that doesn't exist. Clip Effects in ProTools HD sounds like what I am looking for but sadly I can't afford the upgrade.

EdwardWilliam--I never heard of committing a track and from looking into it perhaps this could be a lead for me, thanks! And yes, I'm aware of saving presets in plugins as opposed to copying settings.
Track commit is PT12 only.

QAPLA!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Hi there!

The time spent in one method versus the other will more likely than not wash out to be all the same. Are you doing or want to do audiosuite stuff for every clip? Eq? Dynamics? It would help us if you said exactly what processes you're trying to do in AS.

QAPLA!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
... how the region sounds solo but also how it sounds in the context of all the other tracks playing around it. It seems that "preview" in the audiosuite plugins is always a solo preview. Any way to hear it in context of the whole session while previewing?

The only workaround I found ...
Hit audiosuite process, then playback in context. If it's not right, undo. It's always a good idea to save a playlist version pre-audiosuite-processed.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-20-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Hit audiosuite process, then playback in context. If it's not right, undo. It's always a good idea to save a playlist version pre-audiosuite-processed.
That^^^ or, insert the plugin, tweak it, copy the settings, call up the AudioSuite version, paste the settings and render. Remove the insert(I know it sounds like a ton of steps, but anyone that is used to working in Pro Tools will actually be pretty fast anyway(though I usually do as EGS suggested)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave