Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2018, 05:51 AM

Default Clean Power - UPS specific type?

I was thinking of clean power recently. Obviously, the sub $300 power conditioners have their limitations. With all the electrical activity in the house, it's quite nerve wracking to hear the 'fridge of the HVAC click on through your audio. Bad for everything, especially when tracking.

So I went in search of various options. Lots of high dollar options and some low items, including the ever popular ebb tech hum remover. I ran across the usual suspects, including that $30 outlet that has to be hooked up in a certain way. (electrician would be called, for sure)

So then I saw people using a specific type of USB called an Online, Pure Sine double transforming power. Basically, it converts the power from AC to DC, and then separately from DC back to AC. Anything noise coming through the building's electrical system would be isolated. I've done some audio research and seen some older posts on different forums use these for their mobile rigs, and even to clean up some noisy permanent installs. Not sure I trust the sources.

Do any of you here use such a unit and/or have any thoughts on this?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Clean Power - UPS specific type?

I use a Furman AR-15 II Voltage Regulator Power Conditioner.
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 11-17-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
I was thinking of clean power recently. Obviously, the sub $300 power conditioners have their limitations. With all the electrical activity in the house, it's quite nerve wracking to hear the 'fridge of the HVAC click on through your audio. Bad for everything, especially when tracking.

So I went in search of various options. Lots of high dollar options and some low items, including the ever popular ebb tech hum remover. I ran across the usual suspects, including that $30 outlet that has to be hooked up in a certain way. (electrician would be called, for sure)

So then I saw people using a specific type of USB called an Online, Pure Sine double transforming power. Basically, it converts the power from AC to DC, and then separately from DC back to AC. Anything noise coming through the building's electrical system would be isolated. I've done some audio research and seen some older posts on different forums use these for their mobile rigs, and even to clean up some noisy permanent installs. Not sure I trust the sources.

Do any of you here use such a unit and/or have any thoughts on this?
I'm a huge fan of APC UPS's. The one I have is as you describe where it completely regenerates the incoming AC power to a true sine wave. Why's that important? Transformers have a hard time dealing with the output of cheaper UPS's which are a stepped approximation of a sinewave - IOW a square wave. It ain't cheap but it's a damn sight less expensive than replacing your computer and peripherals. Just make sure you size it for your needs with a good bit left over.

What do I have connected to mine?
The computer (2012 MacPro cheesegrater), monitor screen, 2 external spinner drives, powered USB hub. I do not have my monitor speakers, mixer, audio interface, external synths & MIDI interface connected to the UPS. Those are connected via a couple of filtered power strips to an APC rack mounted power distribution box that also does line filtering. The UPS is connected to that as well.

Oh yeah - I have a small light connected to the UPS so that when the power goes out I can see enough to not stumble around the studio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
I use a Furman AR-15 II Voltage Regulator Power Conditioner.
That piece is NOT an UPS. I used to love Furman equipment but when I had one go into literal meltdown and overvoltaged what I had connected to it that's when I sad bye-bye to that company. There was nothing wrong with the incoming AC power - the regulation circuitry just went haywire.

I have APC UPS's on every piece of electronics in my house. Again it's not cheap but saves what's connected to it. It's real fun when the incoming power drops out and they all start beeping and not in time with each other either. Like a fellow that we had come out and repair our chimney a couple of years back who lives a couple streets down from me said: every time a mouse farts the power goes out.

QAPLA!
Old 11-17-2018, 10:41 AM

I have two of these, one for each of my computers:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...c_ups_lcd.html

The power in my neighborhood was very touch and go, but a bit better since the power company made a few changes.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-17-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

...That piece is NOT an UPS.
Correct. Was thinking more of noise that power loss.

I use Tripp-Lite, Belkin, and Cyberpower and a few other brands of UPS backup systems.

I had had three of my five APC UPS units crap out. I liked that I could reprogram them with a special cable attached to USB, but their failure rate of 3 out of 5 pretty much made me lose faith.

FYI: That Furman AR-15 unit was dead when I bought it (paid $50 for it). I sent it in and had Furman replace the motherboard.

The APC units I sent to the local electronics graveyard.
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 11-17-2018, 01:20 PM

Proper "online" UPS are loud because they have cooling fans because they are constantly running off the battery (and doing AC/DC conversion to refuel the battery) vs any switching.

If you don't have a distant room or machine room, it will be a problem.
On top of that, using a online UPS requires you also have all your analog gear plugged into the same one because you have decoupled that circuit from the ground creating an independent battery circuit.

As for sine wave, rectified sine wave, and PFC (power factor correction) sine wave UPS, that's a whole different issue different than the way that line interactive/standby UPS work vs online ups.

But if you are getting an electrician in, better than any UPS for "power clean up" is to divide your circuits and keep motors away from the circuits used for the studio and make sure your grounding is correct. Transformers and AC/DC power supplies in equipment already "clean up" the power.

But some of what you are describing is voltage sag -- motors (like HVAC compressors/refrigerators), laser printers, etc. And sometimes that can be solved by a good electrician.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Proper "online" UPS are loud because they have cooling fans because they are constantly running off the battery (and doing AC/DC conversion to refuel the battery) vs any switching.

If you don't have a distant room or machine room, it will be a problem.
On top of that, using a online UPS requires you also have all your analog gear plugged into the same one because you have decoupled that circuit from the ground creating an independent battery circuit.

As for sine wave, rectified sine wave, and PFC (power factor correction) sine wave UPS, that's a whole different issue different than the way that line interactive/standby UPS work vs online ups.

But if you are getting an electrician in, better than any UPS for "power clean up" is to divide your circuits and keep motors away from the circuits used for the studio and make sure your grounding is correct. Transformers and AC/DC power supplies in equipment already "clean up" the power.

But some of what you are describing is voltage sag -- motors (like HVAC compressors/refrigerators), laser printers, etc. And sometimes that can be solved by a good electrician.
I have an online UPS and it is NOT loud at all. The only time it's loud is when it goes through it's self-test at power on. Transformers and AC/DC power supplies do NOT clean up power - you can still get transients through. And most AC/DC power supplies these days are switch mode and not linear because it's cheaper and creates less heat. One of the downsides with a switch mode supply is that they run at high frequencies and for the most part are poorly shielded so you get plenty of emi/rfi.

Yes the op might be having voltage sag but it may well be on the incoming mains circuit. I know because it happens where I live. And it's why I have the AC power protection that I have. Analogy here: the water coming out of the taps in Flint Michigan is cleaner than your typical AC mains at least here in the US.

QAPLA!
Old 11-17-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I have an online UPS and it is NOT loud at all.
What is the make/model of this UPS?
Old 11-17-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
What is the make/model of this UPS?
My big one is this:
https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/produ...V/P-SRT1000XLA

And my smaller ones are:
https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/produ...nect/P-SMT750C

QAPLA!
Old 11-17-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Transformers and AC/DC power supplies do NOT clean up power - you can still get transients through.
I think we need to define what "cleaning up power" means. Electricians don't agree on these made-up terms even.

Quote:
the most part are poorly shielded so you get plenty of emi/rfi.
Once again, see previous. Shielding doesn't have anything to do with cleaning up power. You can have the cleanest power on the planet and shielding will still be necessary because power is going to generate fields.