Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 06-19-2018, 02:05 PM

Default -9093 stops are killing me!!!!!

Any session. My typical band tracking template is around 42 tracks with several plugins, that are all light-cpu(EQ III, BF76, some verbs, some Channel Strip) and the cpu meter sits at 8% on idle and goes to 34% during a record pass. Randomly, the cpu will spike and the system will burp, stop and throw the -9093 error. I dragged all my 3rd party instrument plugins out of the plugins folder, as well as several 3rd party plugins that are not used in the session. I made my MiniGrand and DB33 tracks inactive. I killed softube Console One, Eucon, Avid App Manager, and internet is unplugged. Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening? Its annoying enough, but when it does it with clients in the room....you know the feeling

i7 6800K
Asus X99 motherboard
GeForce 750 ti graphics
700 watt PSU
Samsung SSD for system.
All recording drives are 7200 rpm(tried sessions on several drives including the SSD with no change)
Happens in all recent builds and I tried my backup system drive with 12.3(also a Samsung SSD).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-19-2018, 04:21 PM

Default Re: -9093 stops are killing me!!!!!

Sometimes RAM starting to go Ghosty. Sometime pull and reseat RAM. Sometime graphic card issue. Sometime corrupt driver.Wish I had an easy answer for ya
Old 06-19-2018, 04:36 PM

I find that many clients these days are more forgiving about this kind of thing. Back in the day it was like "WTF, why did you stop?" These days its like "Oh, -9093 error, I hate it when that happens."

Seriously, tho, the software is famous for it now.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:58 PM

Not sure if this will help Dave, Found it on Gearslutz....worth a try?

"SOLVED IT! Just thought I'd follow up for anyone else who runs into this problem and finds this thread. I updated from PT 12.3 to the new 12.4 update and installed a new recommended HD driver and now its running at 100%. Haven't gotten the "9093" error since and its been about a week of constant work. In fact, I'd say its generally running much better overall. The recording latency feels smaller at all sample rates, the system is more reactive at all buffer settings and I feel like the processing power is endless. Haven't choked it yet.

Since everything is playing nicely together at the moment... don't think I'll be updating anything anytime soon."

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 06-20-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Not sure if this will help Dave, Found it on Gearslutz....worth a try?

"SOLVED IT! Just thought I'd follow up for anyone else who runs into this problem and finds this thread. I updated from PT 12.3 to the new 12.4 update and installed a new recommended HD driver and now its running at 100%. Haven't gotten the "9093" error since and its been about a week of constant work. In fact, I'd say its generally running much better overall. The recording latency feels smaller at all sample rates, the system is more reactive at all buffer settings and I feel like the processing power is endless. Haven't choked it yet.

Since everything is playing nicely together at the moment... don't think I'll be updating anything anytime soon."
Hmmm, I always uninstall the HD driver when I uninstall PT and running the installer(always using the Run as Admin option) should be putting in the correct driver. I did read something about hyperthreading being an issue(not specific to -9093, but in general) so that will be the next experiment. I was testing for a bug this morning and got a -9093 stop in a session with 3 audio tracks, no sends and no plugins! I'll report back after trying hyperthreading off

I will also consider installing the 12.3 HD driver, just to see what happens....

Last edited by albee1952; 06-21-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:26 PM

Was that suggestion to install the HD driver for 12.3, or was it to install it for 12.4?

I've got this whole slew of things I go through when I start getting the spiking. I believe there are several causes and at least as many manifestations of the spiking thing. Mine's gotten tons worse in the past 6 weeks.

Mostly a PITA, and a last ditch effort is to uninstall UAD Apollo and manually delete stragglers before re-installing. If I get to this point, this fixes it 3 times out of 4. A UAD Hardware Reset has worked a few times. Escpecially if it starts making that clitchity noise.

I tooo have my wireless off. Sometimes I have to get something online. I've discovered that running CC-Cleaner about a dozen times with the network active. Then a time or two on the registry. THEN I reboot and launch PT with all of the plugs NOT in the proper file. I let it open and close like that, put the plugs back and re-start PT. Normally I am good at that point. I turn wireless off and start being a music creator instead if tech-support.

I think there are a couple of other things I do as well. More with making sure there are no ghosts in Device manager to further confuse the works. eg - I run USB. Turning off the Thunderbolt entry helped me once. Thanks to this thread or one similar, I now know I can uninstall App Manager. That's up next.

I should probably compile and get tips from fellow duc'ers to compile an unofficial list of things to do. Also get a list of utilities that are always running that we do not need to have on. Lots of stuff running on 10. Anything to help us out.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:12 AM

Well, I am cautiously optimistic. Disabled hyperthreading and tried a couple of template sessions. Every track in record, hit F12 and walked away. In every case, coming back after 4-5 minutes and it was still recording

Old 06-21-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Well, I am cautiously optimistic. Disabled hyperthreading and tried a couple of template sessions. Every track in record, hit F12 and walked away. In every case, coming back after 4-5 minutes and it was still recording
Good luck, or break a leg....whichever works.

The real test for me is always the next time starting the system. If it's calm for 60 seconds after opening PT, it will be all day long. I normally know before the session even opens unless I forgot to leave the system usage window up.

The most recent two changes worked the day I made each of them. Uninstalling the pro tools manager app thing was this morning's. I find out tomorrow if it worked for more than one try. Yesterday it was to not open UAD Console. That worked yesterday, but did not help this morning.

Keep in mind that the amount of tolerance this machine has for a CPU pegging before triggering an actual error is massive. It glitches the audio long before it even considers throwing an error. If it didn't glitch the audio, I'd almost never know about it.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
I find that many clients these days are more forgiving about this kind of thing. Back in the day it was like "WTF, why did you stop?" These days its like "Oh, -9093 error, I hate it when that happens."

Seriously, tho, the software is famous for it now.
It is lol! Its like the old ADAT days all over again with ERROR 7

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:58 PM

A fairly full day of testing saw a single -9093 and a single -9127. A step in the right direction......