How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-17-2015, 02:32 AM

Default Pro Tools 12 and Motu Midi Bug workaround

Reference: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=372989

Windows 8.1 64bit, Pro Tools 12.2.1 - New Installation
Motu Midi Express XT - latest firmware and drivers.
I need to work and this is what solved it for me. Until Avid can fix this.

After trying for hours to figure out why my routed midi interface Motu Express XT 8x8 would not accept MIDI IN in Pro Tools, I was able to isolate it to a 3 file combination in the roaming preference folder. They are DSIPrefs,HD Native.pio and Last Used.pio

If I delete these before starting pro tools, my MOTU Express XT usb works every time. Otherwise, it fails and acts silly. Online I found lots of references to MIDI, PT 11, PT 12 not working with certain MOTU gear but no solutions.

It seems that the Pro Tools application performs some kind of identification or binding that recognizes the MOTU driver in full during the creation of these files. If these files exist when you start pro tools, the function that properly binds the MOTU driver is bypassed and becomes partially functional or not at all. I need to work and this is the only solution I was able to discover during my debugging the system.

For the record....
DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk, you accept all responsibility, this workaround may not fit your specific need and no guarantees are made or assumed. The author is not responsible any negative results.

If you have a similar situation, you can backup the roaming avid folder
before you delete the 3 files.

I created this powershell script to make the deletion easier for me every time I load Pro Tools.

If you want, create a shortcut
Shortcut target: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powersh ell.exe -command &'C:\ProToolsMotu.ps1'
Start in: C:\windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\
In Advanced button, click Run as Administrator.

open notepad (or ISE) and create a file called C:\ProToolsMotu.ps1
Change the ????? value below to your Windows profile name

# Pro Tools Motu Shortcut
# by Base12
# Date: 10/17/2015

# Tested in Pro Tools 12.2.1
# Bug in Pro Tools causes MOTU drivers
# to sporadically work post-preference folder creation
# This deletes the 3 files that if exist, trigger pro tools
# bypass something in the MOTU Express XT USB drivers
# replace ????? with your profile name in the $pt_roaming line

# DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk. Backup your files before trying.

$pt_roaming = "C:\Users\?????\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Pro Tools\"
$del_files = @("DSIPrefs","HD Native.pio","Last Used.pio")
foreach($file in $del_files)
{
$pathFile = $pt_roaming+$file
Remove-Item -Path $pathFile -Force
}
# Load Pro Tools
& 'C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\ProTools.exe'

# END
Old 10-20-2015, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 and Motu Midi Bug workaround

As a follow-up, tried a brand new MOTU Express XT replacement and same thing occurred. As a final test, did a new install of Win 8.0 and same results.
Is there a way avid can confirm if this is re-creatable on their end.

BTW, forgot to mention on the powershell script that you need to set the execution policy before you can use it:
C:PS> Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Last edited by Base12; 10-20-2015 at 03:12 PM. Reason: info fix
Old 07-05-2016, 10:46 AM

Any word from Avid as to whether this will be resolved? I'm running PT11 with a new Midi Express XT - I specifically went for the XT in order to use the standalone routing options for hardware sequencing, but when trying to use it with PT I spend more time being frustrated than making music: actually had to send a client home today after a hang/bsod/system restore/reboot/ffs session.

I tried wiping the DSIPrefs and Last Used files, which in turn lost all my audio IOs and caused PT to hang whilst trying to close/reload a project. However the XT did start working again without having to reboot my PC, so there's that..
Old 08-01-2016, 01:43 PM

Yahh I got the Same issue!

****Avid Fix it!!*****
Old 08-01-2016, 02:57 PM

I'm having the same problem just communicating with an Avid PRE.... It will not connect through a MOTU Micro Express. Well it shows up in PT 12, but it doesn't connect with the PRE. Ugh... How difficult can this be?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:00 AM

I got this response back from Avid FYI:

"I think you are running into a known issue here (PT 217940)The summary of this issue is: Pro Tools 11-12 under Windows 8-10 does not work properly with MOTU MIDI interfaces.This issue is specific to MOTU's MIDI interfaces that offer stand-alone capabilities (ie routing matrix, MTC/LTC sync etc….) In their current product line this includes the MIDI Express XT and the Micro Express."

I also found out that some MIDI interfaces come without drivers: They are called "Class Compliant" -- Sweetwater's website has this "word of wisdom" defining "Class Compliant."

In common usage, this means that a USB peripheral device is “plug and play,” meaning you can plug it in and it will work a Mac or Windows computer without installing proprietary drivers.

Mac and Windows come with generic USB drivers; there are several types, known as “classes,” such as USB Video Device Class, USB MIDI Device Class, USB Mass Storage Class, etc. Peripherals that can work with those class drivers are referred to as “class compliant.” Because those “class” drivers are generic, they may not support product-specific or proprietary features — to access those non-“class” features usually requires a proprietary driver from the device’s manufacturer.

Hopefully the new MIDI interface will work.
And it worked!!

Last edited by Steve White; 09-07-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:01 PM

MOTU support for anything Windows has always been on the thin side. IOW when it works great but when it doesn't - not so great. I still have the MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVUSB that I used on my Windows/Sonar system. Clockworks was a mess to deal with on Windows (there's so much it's supposed to do that it doesn't do). MOTU regularly releases new drivers for it's hardware so you may want to check the downloads section over at MOTU.com/

QAPLA!
Old 10-15-2018, 10:55 AM

Was considering the MOTU Micro Express because of LTC gen. Still using Unitor Mark IIs, for which Apple provides a driver.

(Sorry for the necro thread resuscitation...)
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 01-26-2020, 03:18 PM

The final answer on this is pro tools Ultimate Still does not work with the latest MOTU express XT. If you need 8x8 MIDI, go with MOTU 128s. I purchased 8 of the latest MOTU 128 to add to my setup. All failed MIDI IN. After many tests, I was able to finally have a normal Pro Tools that does not hang on on exit, always records MIDI IN finally. All are connected though a Sedna USB 3.0 hub rack, 13 2.0 slots.

Remove the MOTU express XT from your studio and disable the Windows service called MIDISPORT. Problem gone forever...
Old 01-27-2020, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Base12 View Post
The final answer on this is pro tools Ultimate Still does not work with the latest MOTU express XT. If you need 8x8 MIDI, go with MOTU 128s. I purchased 8 of the latest MOTU 128 to add to my setup. All failed MIDI IN. After many tests, I was able to finally have a normal Pro Tools that does not hang on on exit, always records MIDI IN finally. All are connected though a Sedna USB 3.0 hub rack, 13 2.0 slots.

Remove the MOTU express XT from your studio and disable the Windows service called MIDISPORT. Problem gone forever...
Are you/were you running the latest drivers from MOTU? You did disable all the Windows power saving measures right?

What did you do to get all the MIDI I/O you needed? That must be a bunch of outboard synths you have.

There's a problem I've been seeing over these last couple of years with regards to 5 pin DIN MIDI interfaces in that they seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth. With the trend of more and more synths going to USB for MIDI I/O us old dinosaurs are being left out in the cold. If my old MOTU MTPAVUSB ever gives up the ghost what do I do? None of my synths have USB MIDI and I hate the lag when daisy chaining MIDI on synths (not to mention the hassle of keeping straight all the channels/streams).

QAPLA!