Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2011, 01:18 AM

Default Re: UAD 2 Quad and GA-EX58-EXTREME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterFace View Post
I've just had a second look at the pictures and temporarily removing that radiator might not be be so easy. It is also potentially dangerous as it may cause overheating issues we don't know about. I'll let you be the judge but you may want to consider other alternatives first.

filosofem had an excellent question, do you get the same errors after removing UAD card?"
yes I still getting the same error
I am not sure if the radiator part is optional? I will ask this question in TOMs HW forum to know if I can do that.

BTW I used the UAD 2 and PT9 HD @44k and there is no issue , so this confirm the long orange slot shouldn't be used.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:13 AM

A number of pictures of your motherboard have been posted in this thread. In some pictures the radiator is attached while in other pictures it isn’t. This strongly suggests to me that the radiator is optional but yes, check with TOMs HW forum to see if they can confirm this just to be sure. If you end up convinced that the radiator is in fact optional then carefully remove it and you'll have two newly liberated slots to seat the UAD-2 card in. I would start with the PCIEX1_1 slot. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhafaji View Post
yes I still getting the same error
BTW I used the UAD 2 and PT9 HD @44k and there is no issue , so this confirm the long orange slot shouldn't be used.
I'm really not following your logical. So, yes, Pro Tools produces -909x after removing UAD card but 44k does not produce -909x with UAD card seated so PCIe x8 should not be used?

I think, your computer has the issue not the placement of your UAD card nor the placement of your Native card.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
I'm really not following your logical. So, yes, Pro Tools produces -909x after removing UAD card but 44k does not produce -909x with UAD card seated so PCIe x8 should not be used?

I think, your computer has the issue not the placement of your UAD card nor the placement of your Native card.
I agree with you ,I Changed the motherboard yesterday to Rampage III Extreme.and I placed the Cards as following :
VGA in first PCIe X16
HD in PCIe X4
UAD2 in 2nd PCIe X16

and I still have the same issue.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...e_III_Extreme/

I end up spending some cash $600 (new case + New MOtherboard) and it's was not the issue

HELP PLEASE
Old 10-18-2011, 05:52 AM

I downloaded the manual for the Rampage III Extreme. If you look on page 2-28 of the manual there is a table which shows how the PCIe slots work. If a PCIex16 card is seated in the first slot then the second slot becomes inactive. So move the UAD-2 card to the third or fourth PCIex16 slot and try that.

I don't understand why you bought the new (very expensive) RAMPAGE board but I guess you have your reasons.

There were still some things we could have tried on the GIGABYTE board. Did you remove the radiator and try the other slots?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I downloaded the manual for the Rampage III Extreme. If you look on page 2-28 of the manual there is a table which shows how the PCIe slots work. If a PCIex16 card is seated in the first slot then the second slot becomes inactive. So move the UAD-2 card to the third or fourth PCIex16 slot and try that.

I don't understand why you bought the new (very expensive) RAMPAGE board but I guess you have your reasons.

There were still some things we could have tried on the GIGABYTE board. Did you remove the radiator and try the other slots?
thanks I will try put it in the 3rd slot
In fact lots of people I know adviced me to not remove the radiator since it may work but could shorten the lifetime for my HD native and the uad 2
maybe I should not do that ....
Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 AM

Thumbs down Re: UAD 2 Quad and GA-EX58-EXTREME

Quote:
I have tested the UAD 2 with the 3rd PCIex16 and still the same issue / error with Pro tools 9.0.5
I have moved the UAD 2 to the PCIex4 and the HD native to the 3rd PCIex16 and still the same issue / error with Pro tools 9.0.5
I have test the UAD 2 with cubase 6 32bit @ 96k and it’s working fine ! (session have 5 Tracks and 10 UAD Plugins)

This is Pro tools 9 issue and has nothing to do with which PCIe slots I need to put the UAD 2 into.

here is URL talk about How's UAD-2 performing in Pro Tools 9? http://studionu.com/uadforums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14370

Thank you ButterFace for your advices
Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post

When filosofem says "your computer has the issue" I don't think he intended that you should buy a new motherboard. At least that is my interpretation.

I read the comments in the URL you provided. Not very encouraging. Perhaps I'll wait before getting a UAD-2 card. Thank-you for the feedback.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
When filosofem says "your computer has the issue" I don't think he intended that you should buy a new motherboard. At least that is my interpretation.

I read the comments in the URL you provided. Not very encouraging. Perhaps I'll wait before getting a UAD-2 card. Thank-you for the feedback.

Thank you both guys

You guys both were helpful

I am writing the summery of my issue here for 2 reasons:"
1- To notify all Pro tools users about the bad experience I am having with UAD 2 (not working at ALL!!!)
2- As customer to AVID I think I deserve to get truth about what working with PT HD 9 and what is not.

It's very sad and not acceptable when 2 big companies like AVID and UA doesn’t have a working platform together and in the same time they tell their customers that

(As of UAD Powered Plug-Ins Software v6.0, we're happy to announce enhanced Pro Tools
Compatibility, which streamlines the way UAD Powered Plug-Ins are categorized and function inside Pro Tools.
Here are some commonly asked questions on these new features, to help give you an idea of what to expect with the powerful combination of UAD plug-ins and Pro Tools.)

These words in http://www.uaudio.com/blog/pro-tools/

The summery of the story:
1- I Have HD native + Omni bundle and Pro tools 9.0.5
2- I have purchased UAD2 QUAD PCIe card.
3- The chain of this post can tell what I have been through ...
I even changed the motherboard thinking of me that Pro tools / AVID is very stable Platform and this must be something else! (Maybe the PCIe or the RAM or etc…)
The Issue still the same (with the new motherboard and the more PCIe slot's I have)..
I have end spending more $600 and still have the same issue and my new case (bigger) is more noisy compared to the old one !

THIS REALY BAD STORY...AVID, DO YOU HAVE SOMTHING TO SAY?
Old 10-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Very perceptive of you, yes, quite right. I recall recently I too was suffering -909x playback errors with Pro Tools HD Native card and through a methodical process of elimination I was able to identify two unneeded motherboard drivers and two running utilities. Hardware can be an issue but rightfully so can drivers and utilities.