Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2011, 01:24 PM

Default Warm vocals on Mbox 3

Hi Guys,

Maybe somebody can assist me out there in Avid-land... I've been trying to get to grips with an Mbox 3. Having recently switched over from Cakewalk to Pro Tools, I thought I'd also do the standard switch with pre-amps etc... I have been working for years using an SE2200 mic through a Behringer UltragainPro tube pre amp, and had found a lovely sounding warmth on this set-up. (and considering the low price of the Behringer, have always been amazed by it)
Having moved over to an Mbox (because it had always been given good reports from the people I know using it), I'm a little disappointed with the sound I'm getting... it's not bad, but I can't say it's an improvement in any way... in fact, it isn't an improvement pppffffff. Can anybody out there give some advice about getting more from the Mbox... I'm looking for a gentle rounded warmth for vocals... any set-up suggestions are very welcome...
Thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Warm vocals on Mbox 3

Maybe the tube of the Behringer is giving you what you really want, so why not try using that, and patching it into a Line/DI input of the Mbox? In any case, the results depend on every part of the equation, from the voice, the sound of the room, the mic, the preamp, the processing you choose(plugins) and even on the listening system(monitors combined with the room). That's a lot of possible contributors to the final sound. Personally, I really like an FET mic thru a tube pre(and despite what manufacturers want us to believe, to get tube sound, really does take a tube circuit. While I am sure there may be some exceptions to this rule, they are few and expensive

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-23-2011, 11:19 AM

I didn't realise I could patch the Behringer with the Mbox... that's something I can certainly try... for some reason or another I've always been under the impression that patching one preamp to another results in a deterioration of sound quality... (I don't know if I read that somewhere, or was I told by somebody) What would you suggest about levels on the Mbox for this set-up?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 11:55 AM

Go in with a TRS connection and turn the Mbox GAIN knob all the way down. While its true that technically you are not bypassing the Mbox pre, you are skipping a gain stage and you should still retain most or all of the character of the tube preamp. The Pro version of the new Mboxes has a pair of dedicated line inputs.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 PM

What was the interface you were using with Cakewalk? But that said, there really isn't THAT much difference is just about any interface within the same price range group, especially the under $500 one. There may be slight sound differences in choices made by the designers and manufacturer, because there won't be a colorless, transparent input in that range, and bumps in certain frequencies are made to perk up the listener and hide the fact that it's not an audiophile signal path. Sometimes they go for a more present sound at supposedly neutral settings, and sometimes a warmer sound, and any low cost widget with tube in the name is definitely aiming to serve it up on the warmer side, for better or worse : ) Your Behringer is a different animal than the mBox pre's for sure, and I agree with albee1952 that you should use it, if you like it, as part of your rig. Just jam it in a line in you'll have it.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:24 PM

Thanks guys.. will do....