Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2010, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Let me get this straight..

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post

there should be another upgrade path for those who bought digi translator and the other options for pretty good $$$$$

chris
+1---00000-----000000
Old 11-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
It does seem kinda sucky that people like me who have bought Digitranslator, MP3, DV Toolkit, all of those things, don't get any extra upgrade path. Oh well.

I was kinda thinking the same thing, what's worth it in PT9 for the $349. I can think of a couple of reasons I'll pretty surely upgrade:

Proper 7.1 panning in DTS standard, in addition to SDDS standard. This shouldn't be something to have to pay for, PT8 should have included this. Oh well.

But the one thing that is pretty cool, is to take that iLok asset from PT9 HD and have it run PT software on the laptop. So basically you get a free full license of ProTools LE (I know, now it's just called ProTools) included with HD.

Not many other new features that matter to me. But still exciting to finally see them actually working on the product. Long way to go, MIDI timing, RTAS performance, track freezing, all these things but for the first time in some time, I think maybe they're actually going to do those things.

But a Software release of PT that can use anyone's hardware, will turn out to be the smartest thing Avid ever did, and $599 for it, with street prices I'm sure coming in somewhere nearer the Logic's $500 price tag, man, pretty smart move Avid.

And that new iLok, I want that thing now!
DVTK owners get an upgrade path. Info is in the FAQ.

No, we couldn't accommodate every scenario, but we think we did something huge here and that, overall, it's a welcome change. We're trying to 'do the right thing' and hopefully this shows that we are actually listening. We won't be able to satisfy everyone, everytime, but we will try to do our best whenever possible.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
There should be another upgrade path for those who bought digi translator and the other options for pretty good $$$$$
Chris
I agree. I think I paid about £400 for Digitranslator. Now the upgrade to PT9 is £290, which is a rather expensive upgrade.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:06 AM

I once bought a car.
Then I bought a GPS system for that car, to easily find my way.
I then upgraded it with a nice sounding Hifi system, to enjoy good music.

Now there is a new version of my car on the market and it comes with standard GPS and a great Hifi system.

I went to the dealer and told him I would buy the new car, but wanted to substract the price of my GPS and Hifi system from his price, because I already paid for those on a previous occasion.

He looked at me with a strange face...

With every new Avid/Digi release there will be people offended by some pricing scheme. OTOH one can't ignore that Avid listened to a lot of complaints, with one of the major ones being: "make PT cross platform/audio interface compatible with no limitations." PT9 seems to bring that to the table.
I for one am very happy with these announcements and will be upgrading 4 HD systems.
Of course I won't stop posting here on DUC when some PT features don't work as they should. But PT9 definitely seems like a big step forward.

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 11-05-2010, 12:34 AM

I've heard from my friends who test that it's actually even more stable than PT8 which is rock solid for me, so that's worth chipping in for. Then again, this is the highest priced software upgrade for PT ever and with no new features, it's really hard to justify it. Plus I already paid $500 for DigiTranslator, $20 for MP3, $600 for DVToolkit, etc, which are now all obsolete.

I need to figure out what to do in my situation...

I have 2 HD systems and 2 LE systems, one with DVToolkit2.

If I buy one 9HD upgrade, can I run that software on all 4 of my systems simultaneously or would I have to buy 2 HD upgrades and 2 LE upgrades?

Will video satellite still work in this new configuration? I run Satellite for my second system and Video Satellite LE for my LE system.
IMDB
Old 11-05-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
That is, indeed, correct (well, there's a couple new minor features...), but we think having that ability is worth the price.
For some it might be, but many won't use it ever. I have an HD rig at my mix room and an Mbox at home, which I use infrequently... So basically, I would need to lug my ilok between home and office everyday just for the off case that I'd actually use the MBox rig. Not really appealing (stuff like iloks get lost easily)

OTOH, I'd love to upgrade the home rig just for hopes of a better ASIO driver for the MBox (I use it as my general D/A and headphone amp), but if I upgrade I won't be able to use my LE without that damn ilok... *Or* I'd need to shell an additional 250eur for the LE->9 upgrade of that system... :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

No, we couldn't accommodate every scenario, but we think we did something huge here and that, overall, it's a welcome change. We're trying to 'do the right thing' and hopefully this shows that we are actually listening. We won't be able to satisfy everyone, everytime, but we will try to do our best whenever possible.
No, I don't think you did the right thing. Us HD users have been your high end support core, also paying brand premium for TDM plug ins etc and now you are basically shafting us bigtime.

I don't mind HD not being "special" anymore, that move had to be done because of the Native competition but one would have thunk that you'd have the courtesy of giving us the upgrade for a very low price, the upgrade that is "devaluating" our systems in a major way and not giving us basically any worthwhile new features... No, instead it's the most expensive upgrade to date or something o.0

Sorry about the rant but I'm sure most small HD room owners feel the same, traveling HD owning producers and the whole LE crowd obviously will disagree...
Old 11-05-2010, 07:54 AM

$350 for what?
They haven't fixed the bugs in the 8.1 release.
They want me to pay for bug fixes at an even higher price than the other buggy software I already bought.

I think I'll hang on to my cash until PT10!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:03 AM

To me the one thing that would make the upgrade worth the price would be that midi was actually fixed. I'm having a hard time finding out if this has happened. Judging by all of the unresolved issues in the other latest midi timing thread it seems unlikely. If this is the case it would be quite a slap in the face to HD users. I hope that this is not the case.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 AM

1. Have they fixed the damn "DUPLICATE REGION" bug that's been there since 7.4? I mean, really???? I have to double and triple check all my loops to make sure they're not drifitng off the grid???

2. How about a PHASE switch IN the channel strip? I saw that they have a "preamp" view now...but it was confusing..do you have to have one of their PRE boxes for that feature to work?

3. Have they fixed the "some regions were out of bounds" bug...?

4. Does a new ilok mean re-authorizing and re-installing all my plugs?

5. The big downer is it's still 32 bit. bummer.

6. If i read correctly- in order to use HD version stand alone, you have to have the toolkit? That seems RIDICULOUS.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwaidu View Post
No, I don't think you did the right thing. Us HD users have been your high end support core, also paying brand premium for TDM plug ins etc and now you are basically shafting us bigtime.

I don't mind HD not being "special" anymore, that move had to be done because of the Native competition but one would have thunk that you'd have the courtesy of giving us the upgrade for a very low price, the upgrade that is "devaluating" our systems in a major way and not giving us basically any worthwhile new features... No, instead it's the most expensive upgrade to date or something o.0

Sorry about the rant but I'm sure most small HD room owners feel the same, traveling HD owning producers and the whole LE crowd obviously will disagree...
+1 from a fellow HD user.