Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Roland V-Drums - Which to buy?

BTW, if you buy used Roland PD100/PD120 pads and find poor/inconsistent trigger response, take a good look at the foam cone that is under the center of the head. If the tip is looking rounded or worn, they can be peeled off. Clean the leftover goo with some naptha and a clean rag. Stick on new cones which are available from Roland US(and they are cheap). The early version kits had blue cones that wear out while the newer kits(and the replacement cones) are black and look to be a different material.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-31-2010, 08:33 PM

Thanks AL...btw just getting to assigning the TD-20's and noticed the MIDI set up in LE8 doesn't include them, any suggestions...I'll start a new thread,

thanks for all your help.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:34 PM

Stixxs,

Are you using a certain drum program? Programs like BFD 2 and Superior Drummer usually let you set up your midi with those programs. It's generally easier to do it that way.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Stixxs,

Are you using a certain drum program? Programs like BFD 2 and Superior Drummer usually let you set up your midi with those programs. It's generally easier to do it that way.
nst, Just the TD-20 for now...started another thread.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:53 AM

I just plucked a great deal on Ebay

i got a TD6V module with the complete mesh kit (pd105 for snare, pd85 for toms, V-ride, Cy5 hats and Cy8 crash and Rack too!) for 1k plus tax and shipping.

I am a hobby drummer and I primarily bought this for my studio so my drummers could play late sessions without buggin the neighbors. The mesh heads make a tremendous diference on fatigue and ive gotten very good feedback.

I use Superiour Drummer instead of the onboard sounds too. The guys love it. Absolutely friggin love it -and so do I !! lots of time saved.

FWIW I also have and will sometimes incorporate real hats and cymbals, mic'ing from overhead. really sweet and rounds out the sound.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:37 PM

Just my 2 cents.. I am a drummer and own the TD-12 kit. Bought it about 2 yrs ago. I was going back and forth trying to decide if the 20 was better but in the end, there is very little difference. First off, the brain IS the same in all ways except the TD-20 module has more outputs for recording seperate audio. The modeling, sound, "feel" etc is te same. Second, the TD-20 gives you more drums and I think the pads are a bit bigger. I didn't care. I use it for practice at home to keep my chops up. If I can't hit the middle good then I need to practice more! They are all mesh pads and you actually get 2 AUX input channels and a crash channel. so you can add 3 more devices like another cymbol or drums if needed. I think the 20 also has some other software features but I remember thinking the price didn't justify it. As for the sound and feel, they are great. However, they are not real drums so they do sound somewhat "fake" to me and I would never record an album with them. Don't get me wrong, they sound REALLY good. But not good enough, in my opinion, to record them. If you used them to sample real drums sounds, etc, I'm sure it would be fine but I'm an old school drummer who believes nothing will sound like the real thing!

Hope that helps...
Old 02-19-2010, 06:58 AM

I think you should go for octo-pad. It is the huge combination of instruments.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethturner View Post
I think you should go for octo-pad. It is the huge combination of instruments.
AN efficient choice, but no drummer in the world would want to play on it. I used to use one with a home-made kick trigger and it worked....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 AM

So I've been thinking....why are they called VIRTUAL DRUMS if they are real things that you play, I mean shouldn't virtual be something that isn't real?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:53 PM

I just bought the TD-12S off ebay and should be pounding away by next Wed!

The TD-12S was discontinued in November, by the way, replaced by the KX at another $700, making the price difference between two nearest models $1300.