Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-30-2020, 12:42 AM

Default Markers question

Since i use markers for marking scene boundaries, i can‘t use markers for a ‚to do list‘ purpose.
Is there a way to show/hide different groups of markers?
Or could you recommend any other way of doing this (preferably without a third party application)?

Béla Brandes | www.bbsounddesign.de
Old 08-30-2020, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Markers question

PT markers are very inflexible. Create a track to the top of edit window where you create dummy clips for your own markers. This way you get all the flexibility you need with little expense of extra clutter on your clip list
Old 08-30-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Since i use markers for marking scene boundaries, i can‘t use markers for a ‚to do list‘ purpose.

Why don't you cut your video file into scenes and re-name them. They will show up in the clips list and you just click on them there to navigate to them. You can even put TC in the name if you want. Then you can free up your markers do to something more interesting.
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 08-30-2020, 11:25 AM

Soundflow has a widget that allows you to extract and replace markers and save the sets for different purposes.
You can also swap markers for chopped regions and vice versa.

Very useful!

Its really about time PT had multiple marker lanes and while you're at it get rid of the limit on the number of markers, what's all that about in 2020??

I've tried using chopped up tracks and all that, but they're not as useful as markers that can be seen vertically throughout all your tracks.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:26 AM

Multiple lanes? I would be happy if the markers shifted when you add/cut time from the session
Old 08-30-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Multiple lanes? I would be happy if the markers shifted when you add/cut time from the session

They do if you have all selection.
The markers ruler needs to be highlighted/ selected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 08-30-2020, 05:21 PM

Good to know, thanks. I must have been doing something wrong all the time
Old 08-31-2020, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by priorytools View Post
They do if you have all selection.
The markers ruler needs to be highlighted/ selected.
Also, if you use a Time Event operation - cut or insert. If I have a quickie reconform I will use his method, line up the guide tracks, figure out where the differences are, hide just the new QT and Guide, cut or insert time, show all tracks. Markers are moved.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 08-31-2020, 07:52 AM

The Cut Time option is very handy, but ignores playlists that aren't visible. Clearly we need two new options: "Include Markers" in any timeline selection and edit, and "Include All Playlists" in any Cut or Insert time function. Both of these are currently doable with the mentioned awkward workarounds, but shouldn't require workarounds.
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 08-31-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
The Cut Time option is very handy, but ignores playlists that aren't visible. Clearly we need two new options: "Include Markers" in any timeline selection and edit, and "Include All Playlists" in any Cut or Insert time function. Both of these are currently doable with the mentioned awkward workarounds, but shouldn't require workarounds.
I completely agree with this. I'd absolutely love 'markers follow edit' and 'playlists follow edit' options.

Also, while currently it is possible to select the markers track along with other tracks and cut/paste them. However if you undo and re-paste, for whatever reason it loses selection of the markers track. I've lost count of how many times I've lost markers during a reconform this way.

And then lastly, I'd love if Pro Tools had the option to color markers so that the vertical lines could be a different color than just yellow. I know there can be different colors along the markers track at the top, but when dealing with lots of markers in a track-intensive feature film it would be great to be able to color the vertical lines of the markers too. That way I can differentiate new reconform cut markers, or title card markers, or any sorts of other things to help me visually navigate around a zoomed-out session.