Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Microphone techniques

Need Help........

I am using a NTK (Rode) microphone with Digimax LT preamp. DIGI001 interface connected to a G4 dual 800.

One thing I have been noticing in my mixes is that the vocals are not as good as they should be. For example, too much popping. I have a windscreen with popper stoppers and that has solved some problems but not all. Would this be more of a mic technique skill that each vocalist needs to improve on? And if this is so what is the best way to train them in this area? Can anyone help? Also, is there any good books out there for mic techniques. I have seen ones for mic placement, but how about for improving one's skills. Any advice would be great...........

Regards,

Mark
Zephaniah 1:14 The great day of the LORD is near...
www.bmius.org
Old 02-12-2004, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Microphone techniques

Hi,

I'll share my secret popper stopper weapon with you. If you put up a pop stopper and you are still getting pops, first adjust mic position.

Make sure the diaphram of the mic isn't directly in line with the mouth of the singer and also make sure that the mic is 6"-8" away instead of 2"-3". Most singers like to be right up on the mic, and sometimes its ok. but if they are popping then you need to move the mic back a little and possibly up. I usually like to have the mic diaphram directly in line with the singer's nose isntead of their mouth.

Now, if you try all of these and you are still getting some pops...try my little secret trick I picked up from a producer a while ago.

***Tape a pencil to the front of the microphone so that the pencil hangs down up against the grill of the microphone. Make sure to get the pencil pressed as firmly as possible against the grill. Then center it oover the diaphram. When looking at the mic from the front, the pencil should extend down right over the middle of the diaphram. Make sure the pencil goes down an inch or so past the bottom-most part of the diaphram. Also, try to use a wooden pencil or wooden dowel if you can instead of a pen.

What does this do? It acts as a wind break over the diaphram so any remaining air pressure hitting the diaphram is deflected off to the sides, yet the pencil is thin enough that it doesn't alter the sound of the vocalist in the microphone. It softens pops and if you are already using a pop filter can give you that little bit extra protection against extreme pops the filter doesn't stop.

As for improving your mic'ing technique, I found I get the best sounding vocals when I stick the mic up the singer's "where the sun don't shine"! Most singers have their heads up there anyway, so putting the mic up there really captures the subtle nuances of their voice! HAHAHAHAHA

But seriously, one thing I've noticed with tracks I get from people that record in their home is that there are all these early reflections in the vocal mic. When you record your vocals (if you're doing it at home) try to put the singer and mic as far away from all walls as possible...maybe the middle of the room, or a little forward from the middle. One thing I started doing a while ago when I would do vocal sessions at a producer's house is build a makeshift isolation booth for the singer.

Take 3 or 4 mic stands...extend them up a couple feet over the singer's head. Make either a triangle(if using 3) or diamond (if using 4) around the singer and vocal mic...then drape blankets, comforters, sleeping bags, etc. from one mic stand to the next. They should hang down to at least knee level. And make sure the singer is standing on a carpeted surface. If you want to get really fancy and totally make the singer feel confined, you can also put a blanket over the top!

For improving singing skills, you really need a vocal coach. There are so many things you get from a vocal coach that just can't be explained in a book.

Good luck and have fun!

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 02-12-2004, 07:35 PM

i like o.g. killa's pencil recommendation -- never tried it, but that sounds plausible. as for singers and the location of their heads, well --

i use the ntk (and love it). i use a pop filter about 3" in front of the mic and i stand about another 3" behind that. haven't had a pop yet.

steve
Old 02-13-2004, 06:18 AM

We've got two NTK's here, and often have vocalists on top of the pop screen, whcih is within 2" of the mic, with no pop issues.

If it's happening with every singer, I'd suspect a possible mic problem, but if it's just with one or two, then I'd say yes it is technique. It should be fairly obvious listening to them sing acoustically, and moving them backa bit may help.

I got the opposite way in vertical mic positioning, I have the singer sing over the micm rahter than under ti as previously described. If you look at a crossection of the human resperatory system, when you stand straigh up or with the head lifted upward, as shown in many "studio" scenes on M-TV and VH-1, the esophagus is actually restricted, creating a bit of a block for air to travel. IF however you take on a Elvis pose, with the head slightly tilted forward, your esophagus is wide open, allowing maximum airflow with minimal effort. I also find in this position vocalsists that normally sound thin are more fuller voice, with the chest resonance pronounced.

Old 02-13-2004, 08:08 AM

Quote:
We've got two NTK's here, and often have vocalists on top of the pop screen, whcih is within 2" of the mic,
where -- does that tend to produce a more "aggressive" sound for you? i find when i'm that close to the ntk, it sounds more like a nyc punk sound, a lot of breath & spit. probably great for some styles, but when i'm about 6-8" away from the mic, the sound is more "laid back" / airy.

steve
Old 02-13-2004, 09:09 AM

Generally I have the singer move in when I want a more intimate sound, soft voice, airy breathy sound, not for a screamer. they stand at the 2 foot line.

The up close vocal on the NTK, provided the singer has good technique, yields a very in your face vocal, similiar to getting whispered to in your ear, little to no room sound. Also, the proximity effect gives a bit warmer tone to the track. Placement is key, as noted, the singer sings over rather than into the mic, with the diaphram pointed toward the chin/chest. this also lessens the slight high end boost of the mic.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I have the singer sing over the micm rahter than under ti as previously described. If you look at a crossection of the human resperatory system, when you stand straigh up or with the head lifted upward, as shown in many "studio" scenes on M-TV and VH-1, the esophagus is actually restricted, creating a bit of a block for air to travel. IF however you take on a Elvis pose, with the head slightly tilted forward, your esophagus is wide open, allowing maximum airflow with minimal effort. I also find in this position vocalsists that normally sound thin are more fuller voice, with the chest resonance pronounced.
Wow where ...... I think that right there is the best advice I've read you give .....I've always heard that the upward vocal position but now that you mention it I think I remember elvis' head leaned forward .......
very very interesting
Old 02-13-2004, 09:28 AM

What's wrong with Lemmy's (Motörhead) singingtechnique?
Old 02-13-2004, 10:16 AM

Quote:
What's wrong with Lemmy's (Motörhead) singingtechnique?
It restricts the airflow through the esophagus, reducing potential power, which is part of how Lenny gets that raspy, painful sond....he's straining for air.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:28 AM

Quote:
We've got two NTK's here, and often have vocalists on top of the pop screen, whcih is within 2" of the mic, with no pop issues.

If it's happening with every singer, I'd suspect a possible mic problem, but if it's just with one or two, then I'd say yes it is technique. It should be fairly obvious listening to them sing acoustically, and moving them backa bit may help.

I got the opposite way in vertical mic positioning, I have the singer sing over the micm rahter than under ti as previously described. If you look at a crossection of the human resperatory system, when you stand straigh up or with the head lifted upward, as shown in many "studio" scenes on M-TV and VH-1, the esophagus is actually restricted, creating a bit of a block for air to travel. IF however you take on a Elvis pose, with the head slightly tilted forward, your esophagus is wide open, allowing maximum airflow with minimal effort. I also find in this position vocalsists that normally sound thin are more fuller voice, with the chest resonance pronounced.

Where is totally correct. I should have been more specific...when I said the mic should be at nose level...you still want the singer to look straight ahead, not up at the mic. Since the nasal cavity shapes a large portion of a singer's sound, putting the mic in front of it gets a nice tone. Most singers will say it sounds more like "themself" then they've heard at other studios. Believe it or not I get called back a lot for vocal sessions because the artists love the way my vocals sound. I think most of it is because of where I place the mic...but who knows! *SHRUG* But, as said by Where, you never want a singer to actually be looking up. What I do is put the pop filter right where I want them to sing, and then adjust the mic behind it where I want to hear them. The mic is then a little higher then the pop filter, but the pop filter is still directly in between the singer and the mic.

Also, here's another little fun trick I learned a long time ago that usually works.

For singers that are constantly singing flat, raise the mic up from it's current position an inch or two. Tell them to sing into the mic. While looking up and singing isn't good for the tone...psychologically a singer will try to sing a little higher if they look up.

Conversely, if a singer keeps going sharp...drop the mic an inch or two and tell them to look down into the mic while they sing. They'll drop their pitch a little bit.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page