Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2002, 07:42 AM

Default The key\'s too low for my singer... best way to repitch?

I've got a song recorded in E that the singer would rather sing in F# (1 step higher). He asked about repitching the song to F#, recording the vocal, and then slowing the song back down to the original key. I think this will work, but I'm wondering about the easiest way to go about it, causing the least undesired artifacts on the vocal take? Any thoughts?
Old 02-26-2002, 07:49 AM

Default Re: The key\'s too low for my singer... best way to repitch?

There have been several posts on this topic, and I believe you can find what you're looking for by searching "pitch-n-time" or "tempo change." Pitch-n-time (not sure if the spelling is correct)is a software program that changes your time base/pitch, and is supposed to be excellent.

http://www.gidakdigital.com
Old 02-26-2002, 08:39 AM

Pitch 'n Time 2.0 is a great plug-in. I use it all the time especially in applications of editing music to film. if you already have a ton of tracks, you may want to bounce to disk and do the pitch shifting / vocal recording in another session. then import the vocal track in your original session and use Pitch n Time to bring it back to the same pitch as all of your tracks.

Pitch shifting a voice an entire step is a really apparent. Let your singer know that he isn't going to sound like himself in the end result.

-dave
Old 02-26-2002, 08:56 AM

You can try it out using Pitch Shift in Audiosuite, but I agree with DMK - either the voice won't sound right when you pitch it back down, or the music won't sound right if you leave the song in the new key.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:23 AM

You can also try Wave Mechanics Speed. It's around $450.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:39 PM

Just going through this.

I tried Serato P&T, but it made the vox sound like "chipmunks". (I pitched the song down so the singer could reach the high notes)
Waves' Ultrapitch worked great. Maintains formants of the voice so it sounds natural. Give it a shot.

CG
Old 02-26-2002, 03:40 PM

1. Start over at the right key..

2. Make a mix of the session and THEN picth that up using anything ( like the digi "change pitch" plug) MAke a new session with that mix and have him sing to that, then import the vox track back into the original session and slow it down the exact amount that you sped up the mix. Slowing down vox is always a better route than speeding up.

3. If you have an ADAT, you can control the Pitch with the varispeed of the ADAT.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:34 AM

If you can get your hands on Acid on the PC, it will take you all of 10 seconds to do.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:01 AM

Do yourself a favor...Start over. That is, unless you want to waste countless hours on experimentation, ending in defeat. The results will never satisfy in the end. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's the truth. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2002, 08:42 AM

I agree with Grasshopper but ...

Pitch 'N Time is still a GREAT Plug-in
Get it you wont regret it

Cheers
Psax