Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 10:23 PM

Default buying plugins from ebay

there are heaps of them, they say that they transfer the ilok registration to you, then you download the software from digidesign. sounds doggy, anyone done this? what is digidesigns policy in regards to people re-selling software?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: buying plugins from ebay

What's doggy about it? Iilok.com allows most plug-ins to be transfered via iLok.com.
I have saved tons of $$$ buying off ebay.
Quick transfers (same day), no shipping, no waiting to use it, no waiting for the fed-ex guy, No Sales tax!!
it's a free country no company can hinder free commerce. Waves and Sony do not allow plug-in transfers via ilok.com
Software companies can turn off user to user transfer if they want. Most do not.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:03 AM

What's the situation regarding future updates?
I understand it probably varies from company to company, but do you not normally have to be a registered user to benefit from updates?
Anybody got any experience (positive or negative) of this?
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 09-29-2005, 02:46 AM

Bought almost all my plugs on ebay. It's the only way to afford them all. In my experience there are not that many plugins that are significantly updated anyway. The only worry is compatibilty with continual Apple system updates. I wonder when they will finally get it right!
Old 09-29-2005, 03:17 AM

Quote:
. The only worry is compatibilty with continual Apple system updates.
\

That's kinda my point.... Lets say for instance that six months ago I bought a plugin from ebay.... Tiger gets released, and the plugin manufacturer release a Tiger compatible version.... Can I upgrade my plugin to remain compatible with Tiger?.... or is the downside if buying a plugin secondhand that you're stuck with the version you buy.....?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had experience of this
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 09-29-2005, 06:13 AM

It also depends on the pluigin... some plugs require registration (Sony Oxford, Waves) before auth is transferred... in this case, I'd check with the seller and developer to be certain a transfer fo ownership is permitted -- and Waves charges for the transfer...

I have bought and sold plugs on eBay without incident... just do a little homework - ask seller a question or 2, etc... if the plug is part of a bundle, the transfer is probably not permitted - but it will still work (until you need an upgrade) - so just do your homework and you'll be fine.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
That's kinda my point.... Lets say for instance that six months ago I bought a plugin from ebay.... Tiger gets released, and the plugin manufacturer release a Tiger compatible version.... Can I upgrade my plugin to remain compatible with Tiger?.... or is the downside if buying a plugin secondhand that you're stuck with the version you buy.....?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had experience of this
Most companies have not changed the ilok auth codes since 6.X came out (except Waves) Same iLok auth. Just go to web site and download the new version, like any other user.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:55 AM

I've bought several plugin bundles on eBay but made sure they were still shrink wrapped in the box and get this in writing before bidding. Often, if these are unregistered products, you will get any updates for free for a year for the time you register the product. You still get a better deal on eBay that retail.
If you are planning on bidding on eBay, definitely send an email to customer support for the plugin you are buying. This will tell you two things, what to expect $-wise and how good their customer support is.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Haven't had that much experience with this, but with the exception of Waves, I think you'll be OK.

For instance, I bought Version 2.0 of Amp Farm off of eBay and transferred it to my iLok. To upgrade to version 3.0, I bought the upgrade from Digidesign. The upgrade needs to see Version 2.0 of Amp Farm on the target iLok to update it. If the asset is in your iLok account, you own it. If you lose your iLok, however, that's another matter (somebody should start a thread on that).

Check into things before you buy, though. Some of the other plug-ins that are not protected by the iLok ZDT might have different ownership transferring routines, too (Altiverb, etc.).

Lee Blaske
Old 09-29-2005, 02:04 PM

Quote:
(somebody should start a thread on that).
nah, it will never work.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12