Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 06:24 AM

Default Anyone used a Big Ben with a Mix system?

Has anyone tried using a Big Ben to clock a mix system with 888/24's? If so how was it? Sound good? Was it easy to set up? Thanks!
Old 06-03-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Anyone used a Big Ben with a Mix system?

I've never used a Big Ben, but I've used an Ardsync (2 systems) and a Horita Black Burst generator. Setup for either one is very simple- just a couple of BNC cables. The biggest problem I've had is remembering to set the session and the Ardsync to the same sample rate.

Yes, it sounds better.

The current system that I have access to with the Ardsync has some problems, but there are too many possibilities and too much unfamiliarity with the system for me to track it down:

The details of the problematic system: Mackie d8b, Protools Mix+, Dual Apogee 8000 interfaces, Ardsync and expander (extra bnc ports), MOTU 2408 (PC), ADAT, DA88, DA98, DAT, Zsys digital patch bay/switcher. All of these things are connected digitally and via wordclock (where possible). We get drop outs and weird behavior. The Mackie is half dead (LED display out). The system is designed to record 16 tracks at a time to either a PC or a MAC. We've had every BNC cable fail in the past 2 years (custom cables). The system will be simplified in the near future. The ADAT and DA88/98 have not even been powered up in 2 years. The guy that required the MOTU 2408 is now comfortable enough using ProTools that it can be eliminated.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Anyone used a Big Ben with a Mix system?

I use a BB with My mix system, I have 888/24 and Adat Bridge clocked from big ben. I do a lot of transfers back and forth from PT and Adats, Big ben helps a lot in that case cause of everything having the same clock. Regarding sonic quality...... I would find a better place to spend your money if that is the only reason why you want it. You will hear people say its a big improvement, sure, there is improvement, but not as drastic as improving your mics or, I would suggest, finding a used PSX 100 as a high quality AD/DA for the same price. You will be happier with that purchase, and you will hear the difference you might be looking for.

Setup is as easy as, plug the bnc cables to your I/O,s, and keep pro tools always in Internal Sync.
Hope this helps