Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Web programmers.... Help!!

Morning all,

What I am about to propose... I am not sure if it can be done caus I have not charted the boundaries of what I think I want to do with my website here. Here is what I am attempting to do... if you guys have any good web programming suggestions, tips, or sites I can figure out how to do this from, I would greatly appreciate it:

I am programming a new site layout for when my cd is released. I am doing a straight HTML site this time around with no I-frames or other stuff that can get spidered in websites so that users will not get inadvertently drawn away from my site content. My dilema is that I am programming in 1024 x 768 resolution and have always had conflicts where my site looks bad in 800 x 600 which is of course still the most widely used resolution out there today. I despise 800 x 600 due to the fact that whenever I program my site in that resolution, it seems to look really bad in 1024 x 768 which is my default for most computers I use.

My question is: Is there any form of java that will temporarily allow visitors to my site to view the site in 1024 x 768 only when they accept an agreement on my site that says "This site is best viewed in Penguivision at 1024 x 768, To properly view this site, please click Yes. To retain your current browser settings, please click No." In otherwords I don't want to hijack users browsers, and I don't want to get blocked by all of the pop up blockers out there today and all of the other security junk and what not, but I do not want them to see the vertical and horizontal scroll bars on my site if they are viewing in a browser less than 1024 x 768 resolution. I would like to make it so that when they leave the site either by closing out of the browser, or going to a different page it says "Thank you for using Penguivision, please click Ok to return to your normal resolution settings and please visit again soon."

Or..... if I did up two different versions of the site in 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768, how would I go about putting something in to detect which resolution they are using so that it defaults to the proper html index file? I could use a splash page, but personally I think they look tacky..... *shrugs*

any suggestions, or pointers of what you all do for your sites and what not and how to get around this dilema?? Thanks so much for help in advance.

Charlie
Old 02-10-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Web programmers.... Help!!

Detecting screen resolution.

http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/jscreen.htm

Take Care,
Gene
Old 02-11-2005, 08:44 AM

Thanks Gene!
Old 02-12-2005, 10:29 AM

Super...

As a site developer, I have 3 monitors: 1024, 1024 and 1152. But I have pencil markings on my monitors so I can resize my browser windows to see what my sites look like at 800x600. I create all my sites to optimize at 1024, but to also not create a scrollbar ay 800x600 (I hate those too).

If the site you are describing is the one in your link, you have huge borders on the both sides of your content, yet you set your tables to conform to screen size according to percentage (width="100%").

Why dont you just create a master table with a set width of about 720 (which is what your actual table appears to be in pixels when viewed at 1024). Encompass every page in your site within such a master table. The table tag would look like this:

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="720" align="center">

That way, when people with different screen resolutions visit your site, your site will look the same as it does at 1024, but the only thing that will change for the 800x600 screens is the width of the blank area in the left & right margins.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Super...

As a site developer, I have 3 monitors: 1024, 1024 and 1152. But I have pencil markings on my monitors so I can resize my browser windows to see what my sites look like at 800x600. I create all my sites to optimize at 1024, but to also not create a scrollbar ay 800x600 (I hate those too).

If the site you are describing is the one in your link, you have huge borders on the both sides of your content, yet you set your tables to conform to screen size according to percentage (width="100%").

Why dont you just create a master table with a set width of about 720 (which is what your actual table appears to be in pixels when viewed at 1024). Encompass every page in your site within such a master table. The table tag would look like this:

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="720" align="center">

That way, when people with different screen resolutions visit your site, your site will look the same as it does at 1024, but the only thing that will change for the 800x600 screens is the width of the blank area in the left & right margins.

Hey Cruisemates, Thanks for the tips. I am actually working on a fresh layout all together from what I have on my site in my link at the moment there. Someone suggested setting my table width anywhere from 700-750 pixels and then doing the tables inside of tables to get everything lined up properly. I decided to do it all in just HTML and only consider 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768. I figured anything bigger would be able to see the site just fine. lol I am hopefully going to have the new one up in a couple weeks though when I get some time to finish it. I am working too much OT to fund my new album pressing at the moment to work on the web stuff like I would want to at the moment.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:40 AM

No problem - guess I should check the dates on posts before I reply.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:12 AM

no prob. man. yeah, I am still coding on there. I will probably run into something else before this site is said and done.