Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2015, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Video stutter - please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
On the other hand, why I was getting these errors while running small session with just 2 VI...?
PT 11 with video and VI's is a very unstable situation. I get TONS of crashes. I have the latest plugins of everything loading into PT. Doesn't matter. I don't know if it is a particular VI causing the issue, but, if I have a simple 2 instrument session with a few things loaded into Sample RAM and a Quicktime - even an AVID DNxHD36 QT, I get crashes. So that part is not you or your system.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 11-06-2015, 08:36 AM

Many many thanks for your help dford!

I did what you suggested. Created new empty session with 120 tracks (mono, stereo, and 5.1). This itself makes PT use 1.09 GB of memory. Adding video makes the usage slightly bigger - 1.15 GB, and, what's worth mentioning, the video playback is almost fluent, just tiny stutters from time to time. Adding 50 instances of Pro-Q2 doesn't make any difference. But add 20 instances of Altiverb and real mem is already showing 1.54 GB! (the video now stutters as hell).
Add to this extensive automation (each plugin, pan, volume, and whatever is possible to automate), tons of clips, sends, and here we are

As to Altiverb. I do use reverb sends. 20 of them. I have already minimized the amount of reverb sends, suspecting, that these may cause the problem. 20 is the minimum for the project.
I have already thinned all my automation (alt cmd t is my regular shortcut), and set the degree of thinning to more. I'll try most and see how it works. And I've just dropped the undo levels down.

I'll definitely give a try to PT11 or 12. If I'd decide to upgrade now I could get All Access bonus plug-ins for Pto Tools|HD. Which means I would get ReVibe and maybe change some Altiverbs with it, if the performance would still be clumsy (although timewise this would be a real pain the ass).
I would upgrade at once, but I'm afraid to mess something up while working on a project. On the other hand there are days, I can barely work...

Anyway, once again thanks for your help! At least I know what's causing the problems and have a plan to fight it
Old 11-06-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
PT 11 with video and VI's is a very unstable situation. I get TONS of crashes. I have the latest plugins of everything loading into PT. Doesn't matter. I don't know if it is a particular VI causing the issue, but, if I have a simple 2 instrument session with a few things loaded into Sample RAM and a Quicktime - even an AVID DNxHD36 QT, I get crashes. So that part is not you or your system.
That is amazing! How do people get their job done?! That is probably a question to music composers. Anyway, good to know I'm not the only one...
Old 11-06-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
That is amazing! How do people get their job done?! That is probably a question to music composers. Anyway, good to know I'm not the only one...
Depending on your IR-Size 20 Altiverbs are a pretty hefty load for PT10. Remember that PT10 can only address 4GB of RAM even if you have 64 installed and it will get extremely unstable and will crash when you get close to around 2.7-3GB of used RAM. The h264 codec will add to that also.

Using PT11 and newer makes huge difference when it comes to RAM-hungry plugins as it's an 64bit application.

I'm amazed that you need 20 reverbs as the minimum?! Must be a pretty crazy project.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Many many thanks for your help dford!

I did what you suggested. Created new empty session with 120 tracks (mono, stereo, and 5.1). This itself makes PT use 1.09 GB of memory. Adding video makes the usage slightly bigger - 1.15 GB, and, what's worth mentioning, the video playback is almost fluent, just tiny stutters from time to time. Adding 50 instances of Pro-Q2 doesn't make any difference. But add 20 instances of Altiverb and real mem is already showing 1.54 GB! (the video now stutters as hell).
Add to this extensive automation (each plugin, pan, volume, and whatever is possible to automate), tons of clips, sends, and here we are

As to Altiverb. I do use reverb sends. 20 of them. I have already minimized the amount of reverb sends, suspecting, that these may cause the problem. 20 is the minimum for the project.
I have already thinned all my automation (alt cmd t is my regular shortcut), and set the degree of thinning to more. I'll try most and see how it works. And I've just dropped the undo levels down.

I'll definitely give a try to PT11 or 12. If I'd decide to upgrade now I could get All Access bonus plug-ins for Pto Tools|HD. Which means I would get ReVibe and maybe change some Altiverbs with it, if the performance would still be clumsy (although timewise this would be a real pain the ass).
I would upgrade at once, but I'm afraid to mess something up while working on a project. On the other hand there are days, I can barely work...

Anyway, once again thanks for your help! At least I know what's causing the problems and have a plan to fight it

Glad to hear it helped...Thanks for posting your findings for others.

Using ReVibe is a good idea, not sure if you have HDX or not, but it would be great to convert from Native to DSP....Anyways sounds like you are on the right track...

I had a look at your original system specs. I see you're driving 4 monitors. I assume you are mirroring two of those (Main TV and VO booth). If so, how are you accomplishing this? software mirroring (Mac OS X built-in) or a hardware splitter?

If you are using a software mirror, it could be contributing to some of your video troubles. Just something to think about.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:31 AM

I did it! Clean reinstalled the OS (jumped to Yosemite), upgraded to PT12.3HD, installed all the drivers, plugins and so far the system is incredibly stable. I have been testing it severe for 3 days and I’m absolutely delighted. No crashes, no errors and NO STUTTER AT ALL! The CPU problematic session mentioned above works like a charm.
It took me about two days to download and reinstall all the stuff, but it was so damn worth it! Thanks again for your help.