Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2011, 11:03 AM

Default C24 Problems . . .

Hello all . . . I'll try very hard to be brief.

I have noticed that the C24 has been having issues, most likely in the monitor section up at the top right. I have been in sessions recently when I had the volume of the "Control Room" knob almost all the way up and volume was still barely useable as a mixing reference. I don't know "exactly how loud it was" in dB's but it was about as loud as your average Tuesday night sit-com viewing at FULL CLOCKWISE volume. It seemed like I had a problem.

As of this morning, the L/R outputs that used to feed my Furman headphone amp are completely not functioning. The "cue" snake also features a line for the Talkback button, and that, luckily, still seems to be functioning properly.

I am currently getting by for work by running a stereo line from one of the headphone outs on the front of the Digi 003 and utilizing the Main and Aux outs on the 003 to feed my control room monitors. This seems to have restored my volume to the normal variations I was accustomed to before issues began.

I would like to know if anyone else has had issues like this and if I have any other options like some magical "reset" that I haven't heard of yet?

I've tried the "hold Mute/Solo/Select buttons on Fader 1 while you power up" move and that seems to have helped some of the other issues I was seeing, but my output section on the C24 seems to be either totally faulty or at least in bad shape. The "Cue Output" snake seems to be giving no signal at all besides the Talkback.

I would be happy to provide as much information as needed to help flesh out the issues at hand, I'm just not sure what else to say. If anyone has had similar experience and some friendly advice, it would be great. At the moment, the only solution I can see is shipping this big console to New York and being charged a GRAND to straighten it out. I'd like to avoid that punishment if I have to.

I purchased this C24 in November of 2008, (didn't receive it for about a month, but it's most likely a 2008 model and no longer under warranty)

Thanks!!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Default Re: C24 Problems . . .

In the utilities menu, under system reset analog routes and reset
Monitor gains. My C24 freaked out once and I had to do this. I
Had very low monitor levels. Check your dim button is off not lit
Too.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 09-22-2011, 07:57 PM

I have been preoccupied with many other issues in life and hadn't checked this forum in quite some time. My "workaround" that I'd used when I wrote that initial post is STILL the way I've been doing things. It's kind of disgusting.

I am frustrated that after not seeing this page since FEBRUARY, there has not been any other responses! When a company sells a product that I wind up spending TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS ON, and the output section of it FAILS in less than 2 years . . . and the only solution available to me is to spend ANOTHER THOUSAND DOLLARS to repair it, I can't imagine why I'd tell anyone to purchase this console.

I have only posted when I've had problems with Digi (now Avid) products. I do realize that. The people that I have preached to about Pro Tools is a number in the thousands by now . . . but at this moment, I am not very impressed with the "customer service" aspect of this company. I don't expect to get anything for free, but if this forum is monitored by anyone that works for or with the company, I would REALLY appreciate a response. I don't know how to draw more attention to my plight, but I will try to find a way.

-J
Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 PM

Being that this is a user forum and you obviously have a problem with the hardware, and not a user fault I would surmise. Have you even thought to call Avid tech support directly?

As this is a user forum, Avid is in no obligation to read every threads and/or answer to them.

So instead of fretting about not having much more answer on a user forum, try calling avid.

If resetting the C24 analogue routes didn't solve it, then your board has a piece of hardware that is dead. And like any cars, any tv's etc etc that might be passed warranty (you didn't tell if you purchased it used and bundled up with other stuff) then you will most likely have to pay for it. As far as I know, there's no Audio hardware company that offers life time free repairs of their products. Same goes with any other piece of hardware in the world, cars, fridge, computers included.

Have you contacted your reseller to see if they have warranty coverage for your purchase? Have you bought any extended warranty coverage?

Have you read this?

http://archive.digidesign.com/suppor...anty_Terms.pdf

Wave-T.com
Old 09-27-2011, 06:43 PM

Angry Re: C24 Problems . . .

Yeah. I just read "this". If there's a number that I can call to speak about this issue with Avid, no I have not done that.

It sounds like you want me to feel like "Avid didn't do anything wrong here, you bought something and hey, it's not supposed to last FOREVER, is it?" IT LASTED TWO YEARS. IT COSTED TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. Anybody, and I mean ANYBODY that thinks that's cool or fair or even close to reasonable, I would love to put this machine in a box and accept your check for the price.

This is a VERY expensive piece of equipment. It stopped providing a MAJOR PART of it's functionality right after the warranty was no longer valid. You don't think that's a reasonable thing to complain about or be angry about?

As far as Avid reading or NOT reading this post, I've seen LOTS of posts that were responded to and/or participated in by Avid's employees. It seems like you just want to chastise me for posting my thread. Your only suggestion was "call Avid". Maybe that's the only answer, but I'm frustrated and NO.BODY.CARES.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:07 PM

For Rankexpert02 . . . Have you done anything to remedy your situation yet? I'm going to have to wait until regular business hours to pursue this issue, but I'm going to do my best to "get to the bottom of it" and at least I'll know once and for all if there'a any hope of getting the machine repaired. I worry that my "workaround" is causing the work to suffer and that is unacceptable. This has HAD TO have happened before, I just need to get through to the proper channels. I'm trying very hard to have a better attitude about it, but it's difficult sometimes.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 PM

. . . and also to "Emcha_Audio", I forgot to mention, during my initial (somewhat frustrated) response, I purchased the C24 along with a bundled package that also included a Digi 003 and some additional plug-ins etc. in November of 2008. The machines I purchased were backordered, so they arrived, along with the Custom Consoles C24 desk that I bought to go along with it, about February of 2009. As far as I am aware, I did not purchase an additional year of warranty. That would have also expired by today as well, so that is frustrating too. I suppose I saved money on the "additional warranty", right?

Initially, everything worked fine. I work alone "in a smoke-free enviornment" (as everybody always says these days) and it just seemed to "decide not to work" one day. It may have faded away slowly, as it became more obvious that there was a problem with time, but once it was "absolutely gone" I posted the thread we're currently communicating upon.

Sorry if I came off rude, I would remove the response, but it did contain information that might 'help somebody help me' so I'll just leave it there. I'm trying to play nice, but so far it's been fruitless.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:51 AM

S.D. FINLEY!! WHAT YOU SUGGESTED WORKED!!! I THINK!!!

I am fairly certain that I had already done what you suggested . . . I'd "updated the firmware" and a litany of other possible solutions that people have suggested, but for some reason, I hooked all my inputs up like need be to try what you suggested, I turned it all on, and got signal again!!!

I do feel like my "workaround" way of doing things gave a bit more volume, but what I'm getting now is far superior to what it was when I had to try something else.

SO!! I am hopeful that this worked, and I am grateful to S.D. for his suggestion. Should it go bad again, I will report back. Thank you S.D. . . . and I think RankExpert02 might wanna try what S.D. suggested. It seems to have solved my problem. Thank God.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlive From Nowhere View Post

Sorry if I came off rude, I would remove the response, but it did contain information that might 'help somebody help me' so I'll just leave it there. I'm trying to play nice, but so far it's been fruitless.
Hey no worries, I completely understand the frustration that can creep up that way :) Was just trying to put some perspective back into it

How ever I haven't read this section back in a while and Missed the post where you asked for the phone number

The phone number is on this page. Avid support

Just in case you need it in the future.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-30-2011, 05:48 AM

At the moment, I feel pretty comfortable that it's working again. I wish I was a tech wiz and could explain it properly, but I am much more "art-minded" and not calibrated that way. It's probably a weakness that I'd take a verbal beating from many of the engineers on the DUC, but "it's just true".

I do appreciate everyone's input (pardon the pun) and of course, the gift that is the DUC. This has been bugging me since February and I'm happy that I can forget about it for the time being and just focus on "whether that's the right chord in the bridge" and whatnot.

Rest assured, something else will go wrong, and I shall return.